Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Orient Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sale of Orient Confirms Decline in Customer Service

The announced sale of Orient may be a signal of underlying customer service issues.

We've taken a number of prior cruises on Orient with excellent results.
However, we recently had our travel agent attempt to book the 9 Day Best of South America for February 26, 2007. The agent was very frustrated with lack of responses by Orient. We were told we needed to make a deposit to receive an answer from Orient for a deviation on their airline package and for a land tour, both of which we had conditioned the cruise booking on. Orient finally responded, after the deposit was made, that they could not accomodate either conditional request. We cancelled the trip on Nov 10, 2007.
Unfortunately for us, Orient refused to return the entire deposit after we cancelled since they could not meet the conditions of the trip.

We have gone round and round with Orient, including attempting to contact the President of their parent, NCL, with no response from Orient.

A beware note to other pending Orient line travelers.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

As I am booked for the repositioning 17 - 29 June 2007, I was worried and inquired with my contact in Wiesbaden (NCL Europe).
This is what they replied:

<quote>
As stated in the article:
- NCL is not actively doing anything to sell Orient Lines.
- NCL will not sell the ship "Marco Polo" - only the company&brand Orient Lines as a whole, and only should a qualified buyer contact us.
- this implies that, should a buyer come along the existing bookings & itineraries will not be touched.

From the perspective of my own desk I can tell you that everything regarding Orient Lines is running as normal.
Right now the itinerary planning for the 2008 summer season is being done and planning for the production of a 2007/2008 brochure are already underway.
<unquote>

Willem H. van der Leek
"It's good to see a well-run site!"
http://www.vdleek.nl

Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

There is no air/sea department who will talk to anyone, direct customer or travel agent about air deviations unless there is a deposit on a booking. This is just the way they operate. All of them.

You also cancelled inside the penalty period.

Last edited by ocngypz; December 22nd, 2006 at 05:04 PM.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If your agent suggested to you that you could make your booking conditional on an air deviation request, it is his or her fault for giving you information that is clearly incorrect.

This is not a decline in anything... It's just the way things work. Your travel agent should have enough experience to know how an air deviation is handled.

I am sure if you were in the same situation ten years ago you would have gotten exactly the same response.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientcruiser
Unfortunately for us, Orient refused to return the entire deposit after we cancelled since they could not meet the conditions of the trip.
Just curious as to how much they kept from the deposit?
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28
Just curious as to how much they kept from the deposit?
It would be exceedingly generous of them if they kept anything less than the whole thing.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Doug
It would be exceedingly generous of them if they kept anything less than the whole thing.
If it was before final payment date most cruiselines usually only keep the deviation fee if you choose to cancel.
That is why I was asking.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28
If it was before final payment date most cruiselines usually only keep the deviation fee if you choose to cancel.
Sorry... I misread your post. I thought you meant how much of the fee they kept. (I know, that doesn't make any sense... I was obviously reading too quickly!)

From Orient's web site it looks like the deposit should have been $1,000 per person ($500 at time of booking and $500 120 days before departure). The non-refundable deviation fee is $25, meaning Orientcruiser would have paid $1,025 per person.

For a cancellation between 90 and 120 days before sailing, the cancellation fee would be $100. So it seems to me that they should have kept $125 per person, and refunded $900.

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientcruiser View Post
The announced sale of Orient may be a signal of underlying customer service issues.

We've taken a number of prior cruises on Orient with excellent results.
However, we recently had our travel agent attempt to book the 9 Day Best of South America for February 26, 2007. The agent was very frustrated with lack of responses by Orient. We were told we needed to make a deposit to receive an answer from Orient for a deviation on their airline package and for a land tour, both of which we had conditioned the cruise booking on. Orient finally responded, after the deposit was made, that they could not accomodate either conditional request. We cancelled the trip on Nov 10, 2007.

We have gone round and round with Orient, including attempting to contact the President of their parent, NCL, with no response from Orient.

A beware note to other pending Orient line travelers.
I just got back from the Marco Polo and wouldn't sail with them ever again. The food was the worst when they didn't run out. The selections were very very limited and they offer nothng but a chicken breast on their alternative menu. the dining staff needs some major happy pills but the staff outside the dining room were friendly and accomodating.