Seafood Restaurants other than Anthony's in San Diego

I don't know if you plan on having lunch or dinner at Anthony's. But, if you were thinking of lunch, they have a "quick pick" lunch page inside the big menu. It is much less than their full menu. My husband gets the quick catch fish and chips and I get the quick catch shrimp and both are excellent. You don't get soup or salad, but you get plenty to eat. And their bread and special butter is enough to fill you up anyways. And you can't beat the beautiful view. Go at 11:00 before the crowds.

Anthony's is not expensive. There are many other places to in San Diego, but you will probably pay much more unless you are talking about fast food. Anthony's has both the Seafood Grotto (most dinner entries less than $25) and the Fishette (which is fast food) at the same location. The Star of the Sea room (their premiere restaurant) is now closed for remodeling and renaming. You can't beat the view and location if you are cruising.

Other close-by seafood places include the Fish Market (the upstairs Top of the Market is more expensive than downstairs), or if you really want to splurge, Oceanaire.

In the Gaslamp, there is Bluepoint Coastal Cuisine, or Island Prime is also nice, but expensive, and you would have to cab to this from the cruise ship area (it is close to the airport).

There are a few other places downtown that specialize in seafood, I rarely eat at these, and none recently (so cannot make a recommendation):

Aqua Blu 734 Fifth Ave., (619) 544-6456

Boat House Restaurant 2040 Harbor Island Dr., 619-291-8011

(a chain, nothing exciting)

Lou & Mickey's at the Gaslamp 224 Fifth Ave., (619) 237-4900

(popular before or after the ballgame at Petco Park)

Rockin Baja Lobster 310 Fifth Ave., (619) 234-6333

(Baja style rock lobster, very informal)

I do not recommend the following (bad food the last time I ate there):

McCormick & Schmicks Seafood Restaurant, 675 L St., (619) 645-6545

I agree with Splinter above; most of us who live here do not consider Anthony's to be expensive at all. Unless you go to a franchise like Long John Silver for fast food, you won't find seafood for much less than you would pay at Anthony's. They have a full menu from Fish and Chips to lobster when in season, but their prices are reasonable. If I want to spluge a little, I go to the Fish House, downstairs and if I choose to spend a little more, I go upstairs.:) :)

Thank you all so much for the information that you provided me about the restaurants in San Diego. Especially Splinter for taking the time to write down some of them.

We are looking forward to visiting San Diego. We are flying in on Nov 8th and cruising to Hawaii Nov 9th on the Summit which we were on last November going through the Panama Canal. We arrive before noon on Air Canada from Toronto.

I love Cruise Critics as there is always wealth of information on it.

Thanks again

Sherrill:)

Joes Crab Shack just down from Seaport Village is fun. Not a whole lot of "fresh catch" type choices.....but what they serve is very tasty and well made. It is a noisy type of restaurant, with picnic style tables with big ole buckets in the center for your crabshells and corn cobs. The servers are young college kind of kids and every so often they sing a disco song. We have always had a great time at Joes....definitely not Michelin material, but not all restaurants have to be fancy to be good.:)

Archived