Martinque info

toes_in_sand

I will post my review of Martinique shortly. Was there on the Quantum in March 2015. Have to put to rest a couple things as it WAS hard getting info on this port.

The island does an amazing job of posting numerous English speaking ambassadors at the port and in the city. Very friendly island and will go back! Maps are provided right off the ship. Euros are the currency of their island. However - for the ferry over to the island - US dollars were accepted on board the ferry for the ticket. Charge was 7Euros or $10 per person round trip. Can purchase fares right on the ferry.

So if you want to go to the beach....walk over to the ferry dock which is two minutes from where our ship docked. Take a seat with the locals and when the ferry comes in - get on!

The ferry schedule to/from either Pont du Bout and the other stop are well marked and easy to read.

We were there on a holiday (first time)....and this time, on a Saturday. The shops and businesses of all kind are closed on the holiday. On Saturday, they shut down in the European fashion of two o'clock! So we went to the beach and took the ferry back to walk around town - only to find the shops were closed. Our loss....but we did enjoy the beach!

Regarding what beach to go to. We went to Anse Migan. The ferry dock comes up right next to the back of a hotel. They do have beach chairs to rent. Be aware- the umbrellas and the beach chairs are for hotel guests. Day beachers could only rent a chair - which was fine with us. The lady taking the money is very limited in her ability to micromanage and she will wait on one person at a time, move the chair to the place she wants chair to be, and take your money. Don't try to "help" and don't get too excited and too complicated for her. One thing, one person, one chair. She speaks no English and this would make the English speaking mini-groups impatient and they would get loud and that would make her nervous. So my recommendation, be patient, calm, and you will get your chair.

The beach is small but water was very nice. The hotel was a place to grab a light lunch and there was another vendor on the beach and a bar too. Several from our group walked over to Pont Du Bout. It seemed like a 50/50 vote on what beach was "better".......either beach will work fine.

Hope this helps. Have a good day on Martinque!

I can answer most questions if needing info also.

I posted some info on another thread asking for answers. I have missed many of the recent posts as I have been away from the message boards lately as I have been busy. But, message me or post and I will try to give as much info as possible.

Hello PortMaster! I am looking for info on this port. Since this will be our first visit to Martinque, we are looking for the best options of taking an island tour. What do you recommend for seeing the best sights on the island? We are not looking for a full day tour. Just long enough to get in the best of the island. Thank you in advance!

Hello PortMaster! I am looking for info on this port. Since this will be our first visit to Martinque, we are looking for the best options of taking an island tour. What do you recommend for seeing the best sights on the island? We are not looking for a full day tour. Just long enough to get in the best of the island. Thank you in advance!

Well, that kind of general question is not easy to answer. What do you normally enjoy? You stated that you do not want a long tour. However, because of the geography of the island, anywhere away from Fort-de-France is a bit of a drive or a 20-30 min ferry ride. Also, where its not a main issue generally, there are some language barriers unless you speak French or run into someone that speaks English, which, away from the port is not common. The town places some helpers on a few street corners that speak English to assist. But, that is only in the main access to town.

You want beaches? History? Nature? With only 1 day in port, its hard to get it all with enough time to enjoy and not be very rushed obviously.

The island has a Volcano, Mt Pelee with 'some' ruins from its last eruption. This is in the North West of the Island. There are some private tours and Carnival Tours you can take to get there. (I assume you are on Carnival due to your signature)

You can see a lot on foot in town or across the bay, but again, give me your general idea of what you like to do in ports and I will attempt to suggest something to go along with it.

Hi PortMaster, do you know how long of a drive it is from the port to Balata Gardens?

It's about 6 miles outside of Fort-de-France, but around a 15 min drive. There is an entrance fee for the Gardens. The gardens are nice, but I would probably combine this with something else. Either with an excursion, or if you are 'adventurous' enough and can manage your time, by renting a car and continuing north to St Pierre. Which, in and of itself is not 'spectacular' but it is a little interesting and part of the islands history. Not sure how long you have in port, but enjoy and use your time wisely. Martinique is great if you can spend a week and take in the entire island!

It's about 6 miles outside of Fort-de-France, but around a 15 min drive. There is an entrance fee for the Gardens. The gardens are nice, but I would probably combine this with something else. Either with an excursion, or if you are 'adventurous' enough and can manage your time, by renting a car and continuing north to St Pierre. Which, in and of itself is not 'spectacular' but it is a little interesting and part of the islands history. Not sure how long you have in port, but enjoy and use your time wisely. Martinique is great if you can spend a week and take in the entire island!

We are doing the St. Pierre tour from 8:30 to 12:30 with NCL, thought maybe we could do the gardens in the afternoon. I assume they only take euros for admission. We are in port until 5pm.

We are doing the St. Pierre tour from 8:30 to 12:30 with NCL, thought maybe we could do the gardens in the afternoon. I assume they only take euros for admission. We are in port until 5pm.

If you have not been to Martinique before, after your St. Pierre tour, I would take time and walk around the town. There are plenty of places to see and things to do. Even the small museum not far from the pier and wonderful architecture as in the Library, again, not far from the pier. Try some local bread or snacks. There are plenty of areas great for various types of pictures.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

You may also see....some things that you just cannot explain... lol

ry%3D400

To add to my previous post. Where the Gardens may be a nice visit, you may be rushed getting back from your previous tour, then getting out to there. You may be rushed to look around and return in time.

So, I would suggest the above in my previous post about spending the rest of the afternoon in town.

Next time after this visit, if you find yourself in Martinique again, venture across the bay or the other side of the island. Josephine, Napoleons Wife was born across the bay near Trois-ilets. There is a small museum dedicated to her also.

To add to my previous post. Where the Gardens may be a nice visit, you may be rushed getting back from your previous tour, then getting out to there. You may be rushed to look around and return in time.

So, I would suggest the above in my previous post about spending the rest of the afternoon in town.

Next time after this visit, if you find yourself in Martinique again, venture across the bay or the other side of the island. Josephine, Napoleons Wife was born across the bay near Trois-ilets. There is a small museum dedicated to her also.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input and think we'll do as you suggest with a little walk around after our tour.

Hello again PortMaster! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. We are in port from 8:00 to 5:00. First, we are not beach people so we are not interested in spending any time on a beach. Although we would not be opposed to stopping at a beach for some beautiful views. From reading previous other posts, we would be interested in taking a tour up to St. Pierre and Mont Pelee. Them coming back to town to explore Fort de France. Basically for a first visit to the island, we look for the natural beauty of the island.

Yes, concerned about the language barrier as I know nothing about the French language. What would be our best options for touring the west coast and north coast? What would you recommend for a safe amount of Euros to bring on the island? We would need money for a taxi, tip and possilby a few sourveneirs. Thank you in advance.

Hello again PortMaster! Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. We are in port from 8:00 to 5:00. First, we are not beach people so we are not interested in spending any time on a beach. Although we would not be opposed to stopping at a beach for some beautiful views. From reading previous other posts, we would be interested in taking a tour up to St. Pierre and Mont Pelee. Them coming back to town to explore Fort de France. Basically for a first visit to the island, we look for the natural beauty of the island.

Yes, concerned about the language barrier as I know nothing about the French language. What would be our best options for touring the west coast and north coast? What would you recommend for a safe amount of Euros to bring on the island? We would need money for a taxi, tip and possilby a few sourveneirs. Thank you in advance.

Well, many of the taxi's will take dollars because they know not many of the cruise ship passengers will have Euros, but best to have Euros as you may get a poor exchange rate from a driver or local business if they do take dollars. If you were going on a Cruise Line Tour, I would suggest 100.00 in euros but since you are planning on a private taxi type of tour, I would quadruple that if you want to eat also. PERSONALLY, I use my credit cards as much as possible any time I am traveling. You can have a bogus charge corrected or replace a lost card but you cannot wish back lost cash. But, that's me. If you do not plan on eating, it partly would rely on what deal you work out with the driver as to where you are going and for how long. Many will charge an average of 50-60 per hour. So, it would be good to have a pre-arranged tour even if not through the cruise lines. A private tour company would be less expensive.

Some islands are good for nice inexpensive taxi tours that take you ALL OVER...this is not one of those islands.

Another alternative, if you are comfortable with traveling on your own, is renting a car. That would be less than a taxi and give you the freedom to go where you like and for how long. Just be mindful of TIME. Traffic near F-de-F can be heavy at times but once outside the city traffic is mostly non existent for traffic jams etc. Be careful of speeding also as they do have cameras and electronic means of detecting.

As i've stated in another post, the drive up the coast and through most of the island is wonderful. I think that I answered all you were asking, if anything else, ask more.

Another alternative, if you are comfortable with traveling on your own, is renting a car. That would be less than a taxi and give you the freedom to go where you like and for how long. Just be mindful of TIME. Traffic near F-de-F can be heavy at times but once outside the city traffic is mostly non existent for traffic jams etc. Be careful of speeding also as they do have cameras and electronic means of detecting.

Hi

I learned that Budget closed shop at their location near the dock...are there any rental agencies near the ship? If so - do you remember the name (in case a cheaper rate can be found by booking in advance etc.)

thanks!

John

Hi

I learned that Budget closed shop at their location near the dock...are there any rental agencies near the ship? If so - do you remember the name (in case a cheaper rate can be found by booking in advance etc.)

thanks!

John

I believe Citer is still there.

Fort De France

17, Rue Redoute de Matouba, Fort De France, Martinique, 97200

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be in Martinique for the second time this upcoming December, but on a Sunday again which is too bad. On our visit we took the Depaz Distillery tour organized by the ship which we really enjoyed, and the best part was being able to pick up some rum from there. My DH in particular loved that rum and we were hoping to be able to pick up some more - but without having to take the tour again to the distillery. Is there anywhere near'ish" to the port that would carry that brand and also be open on a Sunday? I think worse case we might have to taxi to the distillery but I think that would be $$$. Any thoughts?

PortMaster, thank you for all your information!

DH and I will be in F-de-F on a Tuesday. We are there from 8-5. I speak a LITTLE French from my college years (20 years ago!). We like to experience the food and we would like to see the island. We aren't drinkers, we aren't beach people and we were hoping you could make some suggestions. Staying in the area (the pictures you showed) looked interesting. Depending on what the gardens are (flowers, birds, etc.) we might be interested.

Thanks!

PortMaster, thank you for all your information!

DH and I will be in F-de-F on a Tuesday. We are there from 8-5. I speak a LITTLE French from my college years (20 years ago!). We like to experience the food and we would like to see the island. We aren't drinkers, we aren't beach people and we were hoping you could make some suggestions. Staying in the area (the pictures you showed) looked interesting. Depending on what the gardens are (flowers, birds, etc.) we might be interested.

Thanks!

This may sound like a repeat from a previous post, but it's what I believe is the best thing to do with 8 hours in port and your first visit. (if not doing an organized excursion that is) Take the ferry over to Pointe Du Bout, it leaves just down from where the ship pulls in. TONS of places to eat in that area. More restaurants than you could try in over a week. Its a little village and getting around is not hard. You could also take a taxi further in from there...but with limited time, enjoy the area and the food! THEN, I would head back to F-de-F, giving yourselves 2 or so hours to venture around town. Visit the small museum, take a walking tour or get something else to eat, again! You can find a walking tour online, and it will take you to all of the curiosities to see and get pictures of. ENJOY your visit!

If you want a little more specific direction...let me know.

When you see the Amazing Shop, hang a left to all the restaurants. After you get off the ferry, walk straight out of the harbor and you will see a taxi stand and the Amazing Shop.

ry%3D400

Edited by PortMaster

• 1 month later...

Port Master..we will be there on a Sunday..is anything open? We are not interested in going to a beach. We were there 2 years ago and enjoyed walking around downtown but we assume all that will be closed on Sunday.

Thanks for any info..

Sherry

To PM

we will be in FDF on a Thursday in January from 8 am to 5 pm

we signed up for a ship's excursion on a catamaran to FDF bay, with stop at the beach, see Ramier Islet, a bat cave (ick) and sea turtles....go by Salomon Cape...to beach at Grande Anse (no bthrms)

tour ends at 12:30... so we will not have time to explore by ferry or beyond the port area...Is there any place to have a very lite lunch near the ship or any shops nearby? (we have Euros)?

how far is the library from the ship pier and can one enter?

Your photos were excellent!

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by hcat

• 2 weeks later...

PortMaster,

Thank you for all your input! Regarding the restaurants after we take the ferry to Pointe Du Bout, do they take visa credit cards or should we bring Euros? I ask because you said it was a little village. Does the village have shops near the restaurants?

I can't wait to visit the island!

I use Credit Cards as often as possible. As I always say, you can replace a credit card or have charges removed if false, but you cannot recover lost cash.

Yes, we used credit cards in the restaurants and in the small shops around the village. We bought things from quite a few of the stores and dont ever remember using cash/euros for the purchases.