Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Well, I am glad I popped in here.

Tee: Typing on a computer can be difficult to "read" a persons true meaning. Roz is the most kind, loving, informative person there is. She can get to the point in some situations that may make you think she is acting like an "Angry Woman", but she is far from it. You obviously haven't read any of my sarcasm. As far as service dogs go, which I do not have one, but stumbled upon this thread when our beloved yellow Labrador was still alive. Roz takes everyone that comes onto this thread under her wings and tries to educate them as much as possible about service dogs and the ADA. She can probably tell us it verbatim! I am sorry you have gotten the wrong impression about Roz, but please try and she her true colors! That would be the tall Blonde with big hair and a big Black Labrador beside her. :o

Love you," lil sista." You know exactly what I look like!

Thank you for your kind and loving words. You know how much you mean to me and to our thread!

I would like to thank everyone for all your prayers and kind words. I was able to bring David home today after 12 long days in the hospital. They ran every test known to man and drew 42 vials of blood and still have no idea why he ran such a high fever for so long. It got as high as 104.6. The doctors said since he is now running a low grade fever and all of the tests are negative they would send him home and let me watch him. They said it is probably anunknown virus.

You guys are the best and it means a lot to know i can turn to you in those helpless hours. I am so gratful to have him home and friends lik all of you! :-)

OK everyone...ROZ is calmed down now. It's safe to come back in the room. Just DON'T make direct eye contact. :eek:

Just kidding. :D

JUST KIDDING, YEH! YEH!.......You mean every word of it and you know it, mister!!!!! :rolleyes:

Come over here and say that! :p

I would like to thank everyone for all your prayers and kind words. I was able to bring David home today after 12 long days in the hospital. They ran every test known to man and drew 42 vials of blood and still have no idea why he ran such a high fever for so long. It got as high as 104.6. The doctors said since he is now running a low grade fever and all of the tests are negative they would send him home and let me watch him. They said it is probably anunknown virus.

You guys are the best and it means a lot to know i can turn to you in those helpless hours. I am so gratful to have him home and friends lik all of you! :-)

That's what we like to hear. Our power is great [sometimes]' date=' glad it worked for David![/b']

Please tell him hello from me and he better stay well or we'll send DKD after him! ;)

A very, very dear lady Cara with CCI Hearing Dog Maya [she has a wonderful demonstration of how Maya worked with her on YouTube] has just suffered a terrible loss of Maya. She took her to the Vet on Monday and after 48 hours of a raging virus Maya had to be laid to rest, I believe, this morning.

It's so, so sad. I'm crying my eyes out after hearing about Maya's passing. She was the most amazing Yellow Lab who had her Service work down-pat. She was such a genius at what she did. Maya taught other dogs how to do their job with ease and grace.

My heart goes out to Cara and her lovely family for the loss of beautiful Hearing Dog- Maya.

A very, very dear lady Cara with CCI Hearing Dog Maya [she has a wonderful demonstration of how Maya worked with her on YouTube] has just suffered a terrible loss of Maya. She took her to the Vet on Monday and after 48 hours of a raging virus Maya had to be laid to rest, I believe, this morning.

It's so, so sad. I'm crying my eyes out after hearing about Maya's passing. She was the most amazing Yellow Lab who had her Service work down-pat. She was such a genius at what she did. Maya taught other dogs how to do their job with ease and grace.

My heart goes out to Cara and her lovely family for the loss of beautiful Hearing Dog- Maya.

My heart goes out to Cara and her son maybe Maya will keep my Valentine company when she greets Maya on the bridge

My heart goes out to Cara and her son maybe Maya will keep my Valentine company when she greets Maya on the bridge

Mine too - I m sure Maya will be greeted with joy and wagging tails by the other wonderful furry babies who have walked over the magical bridge to the angels ... Lucky angels is all I can say.

They do leave HUGE footprints in our fragile human hearts - every single one of them but we never forget them and the joy and happiness they brought into our lives.

Aaaah, I'm off to put the kettle on .... Need a minute .....

I've read a few of your posts. In some instances you come across as an angry woman and your information above is misleading to others. FYI...service dogs do not have to be accredidated or licensed. My dog came from a program but there are many owner trained dogs in the country. The person has disability as defined under the ADA and the dog is trained to perform a task(s).

Also, in Fl many counties waive the license for service dogs.

As others have already said, Roz is very passionate about her dogs. I think we all are. If you read correctly she wasn't misleading she said " I hope the ship asks for some sort of accredidation about your dogs training and city licensing. " She said she "hopes" they ask for some accredidation, since so many people are bringing their pets and passing them off as service dogs. As far as the license goes, our town requires one but the fee is waived since he is a service dog.

As far as having these dogs accredidated, I believe in that 100%. This is why there are so many "fake" service dogs. We actually have a woman who lives in our building that has a "service dog" and I use that term lightly. It's a big standard poodle and is totally out of control. She can barely handle it in her wheelchair it yanks her all around the place. It barks at everyone and barks when she leaves it alone. I have not seen it do any tasks for her. She doesn't have any vest on it, cuz "it mats his hair". Really?? The only thing that identifies it as a service dog is a 2" campaign like button on its collar, that says "Service dog, Access required". I have only seen the button on it once when she told me how she just got the button. She has never taken the dog anywhere except outside to pee. The dog gets nooooo excercise at all. At first it was a show dog, then a service dog. Who knows!! Ugh I shouldn't have gotten started cuz on that subject. Ok I'm done. Ahhhhhhhhh that felt good. :D

So sorry to hear about Maya. Was she old? A CCI dog?

Hi everyone,

I want to thank you for your thoughts. I still have my fevers but they seem to be getting less intense. I am still very weak from my cruise to the hospital. I will let you know that room service and steward service wasn't the best. They kept waking me up every couple hours and then poking me to make me bleed. In all seriousness I had some great nurses and doctors.

Once again thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Dave Butler

Hi everyone,

I want to thank you for your thoughts. I still have my fevers but they seem to be getting less intense. I am still very weak from my cruise to the hospital. I will let you know that room service and steward service wasn't the best. They kept waking me up every couple hours and then poking me to make me bleed. In all seriousness I had some great nurses and doctors.

Dave Butler

Hello Dave

So glad you've now disembarked and are embarking on getting much much better at home. I imagine the butler service at home more than meets your expectations! And I'm sure the added extra on board credit in the form of puppy hugs will be warmly accepted and aid the healing process! :eek:;)

Take care of yourself :)

Hi everyone,

Dave Butler

So glad to hear you are getting better. As most of us know, hospitals are the last place to go for a rest. :( I'm sure you will improve much faster in your own home.

Cindy

Mine too - I m sure Maya will be greeted with joy and wagging tails by the other wonderful furry babies who have walked over the magical bridge to the angels ... Lucky angels is all I can say.

They do leave HUGE footprints in our fragile human hearts - every single one of them but we never forget them and the joy and happiness they brought into our lives.

Aaaah, I'm off to put the kettle on .... Need a minute .....

Yes, I understand it's touched me too!!!! I look into my 13 year old Brenny's eyes and beg her to stay with me please, stay with me!

So sorry to hear about Maya. Was she old? A CCI dog?

Maya was a CCI, Santa Rosa, Hearing Dog. She was 7 years old. Far too young to have died so suddenly.

Cara is going to let us know what happened with Maya to give us all a "heads up" to anything we should be aware of in terms of Maya's health.

As others have already said, Roz is very passionate about her dogs. I think we all are. If you read correctly she wasn't misleading she said " I hope the ship asks for some sort of accredidation about your dogs training and city licensing. " She said she "hopes" they ask for some accredidation, since so many people are bringing their pets and passing them off as service dogs. As far as the license goes, our town requires one but the fee is waived since he is a service dog.

As far as having these dogs accredidated, I believe in that 100%. This is why there are so many "fake" service dogs. We actually have a woman who lives in our building that has a "service dog" and I use that term lightly. It's a big standard poodle and is totally out of control. She can barely handle it in her wheelchair it yanks her all around the place. It barks at everyone and barks when she leaves it alone. I have not seen it do any tasks for her. She doesn't have any vest on it, cuz "it mats his hair". Really?? The only thing that identifies it as a service dog is a 2" campaign like button on its collar, that says "Service dog, Access required". I have only seen the button on it once when she told me how she just got the button. She has never taken the dog anywhere except outside to pee. The dog gets nooooo excercise at all. At first it was a show dog, then a service dog. Who knows!! Ugh I shouldn't have gotten started cuz on that subject. Ok I'm done. Ahhhhhhhhh that felt good. :D

Thanks Cindy. I'm so glad your neighbor doesn't live near me.....she'd be driving me crazy. Her poor dog!!!

Hi everyone,

Dave Butler

Dave, you're sounding strong. I hope that you continue to do well.....hospital's don't have a great reputation for making the best of the cruise experience!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Be well and come back and tell us how you're doing! I know you scared the bejeebers out of our Barbara!

Maya was a CCI, Santa Rosa, Hearing Dog. She was 7 years old. Far too young to have died so suddenly.

Cara is going to let us know what happened with Maya to give us all a "heads up" to anything we should be aware of in terms of Maya's health.

Oh that's way too young .... Our girl dog is 7 this year ....

Yes, I understand it's touched me too!!!! I look into my 13 year old Brenny's eyes and beg her to stay with me please, stay with me!

I know that moment too .... I sometimes think it's just as well we don't know what's ahead of us. We would all be sitting bawling in a corner!

On a happier note we were out shopping this morning and we stood and watched a young pup out for what looked like her first walk in the town. She was trying hard to concentrate but it was all just soooooo interesting, and the different smells and some lovely folk who knew her "Mum" saying hello, it was just sooooo much fun .... It made us smile as it took us back to puppy days. She was good though, she was being taught to sit at the kerb and wait for her command to walk on, well she did manage it and was suitably rewarded. :D