The St Maarten Tiki Hut Tour

margaret10987

We booked the St Maarten Tiki Hut tour through an independent company.

It's the one where they pick you up at the pier in a van, tour you around a bit, then on to Marigot for a little shopping, then board the ferry to Pinal Island for three hours. Included are lunch, drinks, lounge chair, umbrella, snorkel gear and some toys. Then they take to back to the pier. It goes from 9am to 3pm.

Anyone ever do this. If so, how was your experience.

Thanks

What is the independent company charging you? We booked the Amazing Tiki Hut excursion through Carnival for $59 per person. Here's what is offered:

At this private Snorkel Island, you can snorkel, sunbathe or enjoy the Tiki Hut Bar. You may come and go as you please!

On this excursion you will:

Be nestled in a cove, protected from the prevailing winds, you will find the floating Tiki Hut Snorkel Park.

Begin with a short scenic cruise to the floating Tiki Hut platform.

Instructors and safety personnel will be on hand at all times.

After orientation, the day is yours!

Take a swim or snorkel to see tropical Caribbean reef fish and even turtles, rays, eels, lobsters, and octopi that visit this area frequently.

You may choose to relax on a floating lounge or noodle, or just lay on a deck chair and gaze at the beautiful seascape.

Stay as long as you like. One way return water taxi service back to your ship is included.

NOTE: Minimum age is 6 years. Snorkel gear is included. Beverages (sodas, beer, juices, and rum punch), hot dogs and hamburgers are available for purchase at the Tiki Hut (cash only).

Please note, this excursion’s Duration is, in actuality, “At Your Leisure”, i.e. no set duration (not 1 hour only).

I think I'd rather go straight to the platform than spend it couped up in a crowded van. The nice thing about this one is that you can stay as long as you want and when you're ready to leave, a water taxi will return you to the ship.

For some reason it won't let me post the website correctly. Just do a search for St Maarten excursions and the Tiki Hut tour.

Well, here's the website that you're trying to link to.

BUT, this is the first time that I've seen the reference to this Tiki Hut snorkeling. The one that I'm aware of has a floating platform over at Little Bay, adjacent to the Divi Resort.

This is the one that I was aware of, as referenced by rickcop44.

gary

We booked the St Maarten Tiki Hut tour through an independent company.

It's the one where they pick you up at the pier in a van, tour you around a bit, then on to Marigot for a little shopping, then board the ferry to Pinal Island for three hours. Included are lunch, drinks, lounge chair, umbrella, snorkel gear and some toys. Then they take to back to the pier. It goes from 9am to 3pm.

Anyone ever do this. If so, how was your experience.

Thanks

We're looking at this tour. I also just confirmed with them that you get to stop at the Sunset Grill & Bar @ Maho on the way back to the ship to see some planes land! Sounds like it could be a fun afternoon!

We're looking at this tour. I also just confirmed with them that you get to stop at the Sunset Grill & Bar @ Maho on the way back to the ship to see some planes land! Sounds like it could be a fun afternoon!

I hope that this information is correct if you're looking forward to it, and I see that they have a photo of Maho on their tour description website page, BUT ...

Maho is just about as far away from Pinel as you can get on the island, and completely off the (short ~ 20 minute) route from Pinel back to the ship. That diversion would add probably 90 minutes.

If they do go to Maho, which I don't see mentioned in the description, I suspect that they go by in the morning on the way to Marigot. Very few of the larger planes in the morning.

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing from anyone who does this tour.

gary

The tour info said that they leave Pinel Island at 3. Did you explain to them that you were on a cruise? You will NOT have time to go to Maho from Pinel in the time that you have. You would arrive at Maho after 4 which is late for seeing arriving planes and rush hour along with bridge openings equals a really good chance of missing the ship. I would not consider this unless you don't have to be on the ship until 7:30 and even then IMO it wouldn't be worth the effort.:)

I questioned them in an e-mail about the time leaving Pinel and stopping by Maho and they are insisting there is a stop. She's now not specifying the time. We've seen the planes already, just a bit curious about the beach since was not one when we were there in Sept.

Here are two replies I received.

Me:

So, there would not be a stop at Maho Beach with this one to see planes land?

Island Mktg: Good Morning, there is a stop on the way back to the terminal at the Sunset Bar area to watch the plane landing area.

Me:

I’m a bit confused, since they only allow 45 minutes to get from Pinal Island to the cruise port, how there would be enough time to stop at Sunset Bar….. If we had enough people book the excursion, would we be able to spend less time at Pinal and more time at Sunset Bar?

Island Mktg:

Good Morning, they do provide a stop at the sunset bar, and for a min of 10 guests you can make the tour private and tailor make the itinerary to your wishes. Please let us know what you decide.

If we decide to do this, we may either get a group of 10 from our Rollcall or try to talk everyone on the excursion into staying at Pinel only 2 hours then heading to Maho.

I questioned them in an e-mail about the time leaving Pinel and stopping by Maho and they are insisting there is a stop. She's now not specifying the time. We've seen the planes already, just a bit curious about the beach since was not one when we were there in Sept.

Here are two replies I received.

Me:

So, there would not be a stop at Maho Beach with this one to see planes land?

Island Mktg: Good Morning, there is a stop on the way back to the terminal at the Sunset Bar area to watch the plane landing area.

Me:

I’m a bit confused, since they only allow 45 minutes to get from Pinal Island to the cruise port, how there would be enough time to stop at Sunset Bar….. If we had enough people book the excursion, would we be able to spend less time at Pinal and more time at Sunset Bar?

Island Mktg:

Good Morning, they do provide a stop at the sunset bar, and for a min of 10 guests you can make the tour private and tailor make the itinerary to your wishes. Please let us know what you decide.

If we decide to do this, we may either get a group of 10 from our Rollcall or try to talk everyone on the excursion into staying at Pinel only 2 hours then heading to Maho.

I don't know of anyone who goes to Maho just for the beach. Pinel Islands beaches are so much nicer. Maho beach without the planes is just an average at best beach at the best of times compared to the islands other beaches IMO.

I don't know of anyone who goes to Maho just for the beach. Pinel Islands beaches are so much nicer. Maho beach without the planes is just an average at best beach at the best of times compared to the islands other beaches IMO.

I totally agree - but my husband loved the experience of watching the planes land and like I said previously, I'm just curious to see the beach - I've seen pictures so I'm not expecting much! ;)

When I received the paperwork after my reservation it stated that we would arrive at port by 3pm

I know - that's what my availability request said and why I questioned how we could leave Pinel Island at 2:15 and still have time to stop at Maho. I really think they are confused... Does your paperwork have the name of the local company you are using??

I totally agree - but my husband loved the experience of watching the planes land and like I said previously, I'm just curious to see the beach - I've seen pictures so I'm not expecting much! ;)

I still enjoy Maho for the planes and I really enjoy watching people enjoy this great experience for the first time. The beach is just a bonus to the planes IMO. I think that you will love Pinel Island and not having to worry about the taxi not coming back to get you is a real bonus. If you don't have time to go to Maho afterwards, you might enjoy the boardwalk in Philipsburg. There are little beach bar restaurants from the town pier all along the walk back to the ship. Enjoy your day on St. Maarten.

I guess once we cross back over to St Maarten on the ferry from Pinal Island and the tour guide says we are headed to Maho, I will get in a taxi and head back to port. There is no way I will head to Maho that late in the afternoon. I would not make my ship which departs at 5pm.

I guess once we cross back over to St Maarten on the ferry from Pinal Island and the tour guide says we are headed to Maho, I will get in a taxi and head back to port. There is no way I will head to Maho that late in the afternoon. I would not make my ship which departs at 5pm.

There will not be taxis at the cul de sac area. That is why going to Pinel island on your own without a car waiting for you when you get off of the ferry is not recommended by some of the regulars like myself. I don't blame you for being worried about going to Maho so late in the afternoon I would not do that either.

OMGOSH !!!! I finally got this straightened out. The emails to these people were all different stories. They gave me the phone number of the actual driver of the tour. He was one of three drivers for this tour. He told me the pick up time is 9am at the pier. There is then a 2 1/2 hour tour of the island which includes a stop at Maho (morning) a stop at Marigot for 15 to 20 minutes and some other places prior to Marigot. Then we board the ferry for Pinal Island arriving around noon. Spend three hours on Pinal Island then back on the ferry for a straight return to the cruise pier. Will arrive at pier by 3:45 or 4pm. Hope this helps anyone on this tour.

Archived