NY Times: Brisbane Ideas, Tips, Options!!

TLCOhio

Coming in the Sunday morning New York Times travel section, they have this feature and headline: "36 Hours in Brisbane, Australia" with these highlights: "With the Sunshine Coast to the north and the Gold Coast to the south, Brisbane has long been a natural waypoint for visitors seeking a slice of South Pacific paradise on Australia’s eastern shores. But the country’s third-largest city deserves to be a destination in its own right. Fans of fine art and live music will revel in the diversity of the city’s offerings, and nature lovers will delight in discovering the local wildlife sanctuary filled with arguably the cutest creatures on the planet — koalas. Some new bars and restaurants have recently introduced big-city sophistication to this subtropical metropolis, but you needn’t trade your flip-flops for formal footwear just yet. The warm and welcoming capital of Queensland, Australia’s Sunshine State, is still as casual and easygoing as ever."

This profile focuses lots of various arts, dining, etc., options. Among the highlights to consider if Brisbane would be any part of your Australia-NZ travels, here are a few other options/potentials to consider: "A good introduction to the city begins in the South Bank district, which hugs the south bank of the Brisbane River. The area brims with attractions — a curious artificial beach, riverside parks, a spinning Ferris wheel — but most notable is the culture-rich complex that houses a pair of the city’s finest art venues. The Brisbane River, which wiggles through the center of the city, is a source of both riparian delights and disasters. In 2011, flooding wreaked havoc on low-lying homes and businesses, and this past January, floods struck again. But when the river is behaving, the promenade that hugs the water’s edge is a lovely location for a morning stroll. About seven miles from the summit of Mount Coot-tha is the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, a zoolike haven that is home to a huge array of marsupials including kangaroos, wallabies, wombats and Tasmanian devils."

There is also a slide show of various sights around Brisbane, plus an interactive map as a part of this Times travel article. We will have two airplane stops in Brisbane, coming down from Hawaii and then going back through here from Auckland. But, as of now, it does not look as if we will have time to see Brisbane, at least on this first trip down under. Maybe next time!! Sounds like an interesting town and area.

Reactions, added suggestions, comments, etc., on this article from those who live here and/or are more experience?

Full story at:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/travel/36-hours-in-brisbane-australia.html?hpw&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 1,955 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Hi Terry

Thanks for posting the link to this interesting article. My husband and I grew up in Brisbane but left when we got married in 1966; then lived all over the world and only returned to the area on retirement. Actually we live on the Sunshine Coast, an hour’s drive north of Brisbane, which is a gorgeous beachy area, very low-key. So when we visit Brisbane we are tourists too in a way. Shame that you won’t see Brisbane on your Oz trip, hopefully next time. For those who do spend a day in Brisbane on a cruise, I would not recommend trying to get to either Sunshine or Gold Coasts, lovely places as they are for those of us who live there. We lived in the US for seventeen years and there are many beach places which are similar. Just concentrate on Brisbane, which is an interesting subtropical city – the NY Times article is correct. The Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) and Queensland Art Gallery at South Bank are definitely worth a visit. The CityCat ferries which criss-cross Brisbane River are good fun.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-ferry-services/index.htm

When I was a kid we never really utilised the river; nowadays it features significantly in everyday life; sometimes detrimentally, as in the terrible floods a couple of years ago. Visitors might also want to visit Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary which has been around forever. You will see koalas – which are not, nor ever have been, bears.

bazzaw: Terry. I was born and bred in Brisbane and now live just south of it' date=' halfway between the city and the Gold Coast. The changes I have seen in the City since I was a teenager 50 years ago are amazing. Much of this has come about since the City hosted the 1988 Expo. Many Aussies still think of Brisbane as a "backwater" - and when they come to Queensland for a holiday tend to think of places away from Brisbane -- but it does reward some time spent here as a tourist. Many years ago when I was playing around with HTML, I put together a basic website about the area I live in for the info of some overseas friends who were coming over - you might be able to get something from it.

Brisbane to the Gold Coast.

http://users.tpg.com.au/wardb1/Old%20website/index.htm

Barry [/quote']

Above is some good, added, helpful info from another Aust.-NZ board to help others in planning their future travels. Keep the good info flowing and being shared.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 124,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived