Getaway May 9th Review

I sailed the Getway may 9th with my girlfriend and her 14 year old son.We arrived at Miami airport from Newark around 930am retrieved our luggage and quickly caught a cab,15 mins to the port,the fare was 27.00 for all three of us.The porters were there to assist with our 3 bags.We headed to check-in with no wait.They took our info and gave us our key cards with the UDP & UBP stickers already on our cards.We had a spa room and the sticker for the spa was in a envelope in the room.We waited in the holding pit till they called our group number which was 5.We were on the boat and at the buffet by 12:15.We were one of the first at the buffet,so there was no wait and plenty of tables.We chowed down on burgers and salad,the lunch buffet was excellent with lots of choices for everybody.

After lunch we checked out some of the ship and headed down to deck 14 where our spa room was located,behold our luggage was inside the room already.The cabin was small with two twins pushed together and a pull out sofa bed,the balcony was small but good enough for the 3 of us.062.jpg

061.jpg

Ater watching Miami sail away,we head to the pool bar to gather up a bud lime for myself and a Malibu bay breeze for the misses.Service was quick,we never waited more then 2 minutes the whole trip for a drink at any bar on the ship!

Our 630 reservation for La Bistro is approaching,so we head back to the cabin to get ready.On our way I snapped a few at the spa and on deck.

005.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

016.jpg

Edited by beachlover827

Off to a great start!! :) Can't wait to hear all about your week!! We sail in July on the Getaway and are very excited!! I love to see reviews with pictures :D Will you be talking about your excursions? We are on the fence about what to do in Tortola and St. Thomas.

Off to a great start!! :) Can't wait to hear all about your week!! We sail in July on the Getaway and are very excited!! I love to see reviews with pictures :D Will you be talking about your excursions? We are on the fence about what to do in Tortola and St. Thomas.

Thanks,yes I will post some pics later in review.

Could you give your opinion of the balcony as far as being next to one of the angled balconies (14150)? I've never read an opinion from someone next to the "angled" ones.

Was privacy (theirs or yours) an issue?

On the balcony while sitting you cant see on either side,but while standing close and leaning over the rail,your neighbors are in plain view.Never had a problem with privacy.

Was your 14 year old allowed to use the spa facilities?

We all went in to check it out the first day,and was never questioned,me myself walked in many times and was not even asked for my card,but he never used the spa.

We were usually up and headed to the breakfast buffet by 9am,as we passed the main pools most of all the seats in the sun were taken.The towel game was in full effect.Shaded spots were available,but not near the pool.The buffet was excellent with a wide variety of food,from made to order omlets,pancakes,waffels,french toast,ect...never waited more then a few minutes for my over easy eggs or omlet.the cooks were not friendly,rest of the staff were!Coffee was weak,tea was available,as well as oj,cranberry juice,mango juice.Buffet was crowed but always seats available.

It is now after 10 and all the seats on the lower pool deck are taken with towels and no people!Its up to deck 16! Here we find open lounge chairs and put our stuff down.No shade up here!There is waiter service,so no problems getting drinks,they come around rather frequent.That was the deal on our sea days.Our towels got stolen as we left for a twenty minute lunch,came back to people sitting in our chairs,and our stuff on the floor,they told us there was nothing on the chairs(Yeah right!) to avoid any conflict,we just grabbed new chairs.It is very windy on deck 16,so bring towel clips to keep your towels on your chairs.

The pools are tiny,the adult pool is full by 9am,nobody in the pool,but everybody hanging on the edge,never got a chance to enter,spent most of the time in the main pool(childrens) which was less crowded,but full of kids,which most of the time behaved nicely,even though left unattended.The 5 slides were fun,never a long line.

Lunch was at the buffet,again lots of choices,from burgers,hotdogs,seafood,asian,italian,ect...Lemonade,unsweet ice tea,water,mango at the self service machines,soft serve and hard ice cream.Never had a problem bringing back food from the buffet to our chairs,or to our rooms.Everybody was taking food to there chairs.

Entertainment included Grove international,which played live by the pool,then a DJ played top 40 to 80's and 90's which was good.Music very loud near the pool! 10 to 6 everyday.Always something going on around the pool,as the assistant cruise director tyler kept the party going.We normally stayed by the pool till around 530 everyday people watching,then headed to the room to get ready for dinner.

Before dinner we stopped at the sugar cane mojito bar for the raspberry mojito everybody talks about,my girlfriend thought it was to strong,i had the pinapple coconut which I thought was good but strong.On to cagney's.

Cagney's was our favorite restaurant,we eat there twice.Service and food was excellent.Being on the UDP we were able to order a second entrée with no charge.Everything was top notch!

043.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

053.jpg

051.jpg

050.jpg[/url

Can you tell me about the shower products (shower gel, shampoo/conditioner)? The spa rooms are supposed to have "upgraded" products from the Elemis Spa line. I'm trying to figure out if I need to pack my own stuff or if I will be happy with what's provided. Thanks :)

Can you tell me about the shower products (shower gel, shampoo/conditioner)? The spa rooms are supposed to have "upgraded" products from the Elemis Spa line. I'm trying to figure out if I need to pack my own stuff or if I will be happy with what's provided. Thanks :)

This is JMO, because I color my hair with permanent salon color, I brought along special shampoo and conditioner to protect the color from UV rays and that's what my DH used as well - even though we had the Elemis stuff. The regular cabins have the wall dispenser stuff, which I used twice in the spa. It was OK, but by the time I got back from the 1 week cruise, my color had faded quite a bit. Not sure if it was because of the cheap product or not but usually my color lasts at least 3 weeks and this time, it only lasted 1 week. I spent an hour in the spa daily - not usually getting my hair wet - just 3 times. We did notice a lot of chlorine in the spa water circuit and that could have been the culprit as well.