Bed Bugs on Fantasy?

PONYRCR

Has any one had any trouble with bed bugs on the Fantasy? or any type of biting insects?

We just got home from an Eastern Carib cruise Dec 15-22 on Fantasy.

On the 20th I woke up with a bunch of bites on my ankle. I mentioned it to my mom and son, but neither of them had any bites. While waiting for the rest of my family to get ready to leave the room I lied down across the pillows on the bed. When I got up I had four more bites on my arm. I went to guest services who sent me to the nurse. All of which accomplished nothing. They did send a sanitation guy to check our room and remove the bedding. They told me no bugs were found. Honestly I would not have expected them to tell me the truth if they did find any bugs.

After they removed the bedding I didn't get any more bites.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

Has any one had any trouble with bed bugs on the Fantasy? or any type of biting insects?

We just got home from an Eastern Carib cruise Dec 15-22 on Fantasy.

On the 20th I woke up with a bunch of bites on my ankle. I mentioned it to my mom and son, but neither of them had any bites. While waiting for the rest of my family to get ready to leave the room I lied down across the pillows on the bed. When I got up I had four more bites on my arm. I went to guest services who sent me to the nurse. All of which accomplished nothing. They did send a sanitation guy to check our room and remove the bedding. They told me no bugs were found. Honestly I would not have expected them to tell me the truth if they did find any bugs.

After they removed the bedding I didn't get any more bites.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues.

Had you been on a beach that day? Could be sand fleas.

Or any of a mirad of other insects that live on the islands you were visiting.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think I'd believe them if they said the didn't find any bedbugs.

:)

Had you been on a beach that day? Could be sand fleas.

Or any of a mirad of other insects that live on the islands you were visiting.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I think I'd believe them if they said the didn't find any bedbugs.

:)

I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our son had what appeared to be bites on his legs but after a couple of disney cruises (and other hotel stays), we determined it to be sensitivity to some laundry product/process. We bought him a sleep sack (washed at home) and all issues disappeared.

I believe that the cruise ship laundry process is a very aggressive process with high water temp and detergents that (a) kill just about anything that could be killed and (b) create an opportunity for sensitivity not usually experienced elsewhere.

/Jeff

Just removing the bedding would not remove bed bugs..they are in and on the mattresses and other parts of the bed, and would move back to the new bedding pretty fast.

We were on the Fantast Nove 1-8, no one reported anything that we heard of.

This does sound more like sand flies.................

AKK

Just removing the bedding would not remove bed bugs..they are in and on the mattresses and other parts of the bed' date=' and would move back to the new bedding pretty fast.

AKK[/quote']

I agree. Removing the bedding does nothing.

I was just on for Christmas and we were fine. No bed bug bites.

We werent on the Fantasy, but the Dream in late September. My son had what looked like small bite marks on him and they itched him horribly. We talked to housekeeping and they use very, very strong industrial detergents on their bedding. My son has very sensitive skin, so we were sure it had to be that. They gave us extra bedding and we washed it with a packet of tide free and clear and then dried it with no dryer sheets. He was fine after that -

It was not bed bugs based on what you described. Most likely a reaction to the detergent in the linens which can often mimic tiny bites. In fact it is your skins reaction to the chemicals. Or as others have said, you brought some hitchhikers back from a shore excursion.

Just removing the bedding would not remove bed bugs..they are in and on the mattresses and other parts of the bed' date=' and would move back to the new bedding pretty fast.

AKK[/quote']

+1 Word.

• 7 months later...

Ok well.. we were on the Fantasy this past June. The day after our Cozumel Mayan Ruins tour, I had what looked like a mosquito bite on my ankle. I didn't think much of it, figured it was from being in the jungle. A week after getting home, I was covered in bites. And yes, I found live bed bugs. It cost us a TON of money to take care of it.

I do not know if we picked them up at the hotel before the cruise, if they were on the cruise, or just managed to have one get on my suitcase in the airplane.. or... something.

I was one of the people who always think "it doesn't happen that much, or certainly would never happen to ME". I have always put my suitcase on the bed in the hotel and ship, and then at home as well. Never again. What a nightmare.

Ok well.. we were on the Fantasy this past June. The day after our Cozumel Mayan Ruins tour, I had what looked like a mosquito bite on my ankle. I didn't think much of it, figured it was from being in the jungle. A week after getting home, I was covered in bites. And yes, I found live bed bugs. It cost us a TON of money to take care of it.

I do not know if we picked them up at the hotel before the cruise, if they were on the cruise, or just managed to have one get on my suitcase in the airplane.. or... something.

I was one of the people who always think "it doesn't happen that much, or certainly would never happen to ME". I have always put my suitcase on the bed in the hotel and ship, and then at home as well. Never again. What a nightmare.

Please do us all a favor and call DCL to tell them what happened and give them your stateroom number. They should inspect and change the mattresses if necessary.

Please do us all a favor and call DCL to tell them what happened and give them your stateroom number. They should inspect and change the mattresses if necessary.

I agree, I would definitely let the cruise line know just in case it was from the cabin. It could also be from the airplane as well. My hubby is an aviation mechanic and told me that there are plenty of times that the planes have bed bugs.

We talked to our local vector control, found live bugs on our mattress here at home, and I've already talked to Disney. As I said however, I don't have any proof that it was one particular place that we got them. Could have been the hotel in Florida, could have been the ship, one of the places we visited or the airplane/airport. No real way to tell. Just an unpleasant and expensive little problem to take care of!

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. The first thing I did when we got the room was check the mattress. I've heard that if you lift the sheets and look at the mattress you would see little black specks. Our room was clear. We did get a couple of bites prob sand fleas while on shore at the beach. I don't think it was at the room.

We just got off the Fantasy on Saturday. The first thing I did when we got the room was check the mattress. I've heard that if you lift the sheets and look at the mattress you would see little black specks. Our room was clear. We did get a couple of bites prob sand fleas while on shore at the beach. I don't think it was at the room.

I do the same thing. Whether a cruise ship, hotel room or luxury resort. I always check the mattress before anything. Any place no matter where can have bed bugs.

Archived