Quark Ocean Diamond 12/26-1/14

cwoolston3

Hi I am on this trip and have been trying to get some information about back packs to use going to shore. What have you planned to use? This is my first trip and I am very excited. I am not going to do any of the extra excursions as it sounds you are going to do which will be very exciting to hear about on board. The time is getting short and I still am not sure I have what I need for clothing coming from NC. Do you have everything ready?

Yes I have a couple of sets along with the base layers, I just hope I have enough. I have read some say you only need two of each and others say 3 or more so I just hope I will be warm enough as I am somewhat not good in some cold weather. Also have read that the time we will be there should be some good weather but who knows. Will just stay on ship if the weather seems too much for me and hope I can still get some pictures from the ship. When you are going over waves to shore how do you take pictures that some people have gotten? I am strictly an amateur when it come to photos but I am going to try anyhow and see how it all comes out. I just have fun on my trips and this will be no exception as well as a trip I have looked forward to for many years.

Birds you dont need anything special by way of backpacks or bags - waterproof is your main importance. I Use a satchel style myself as I dont like backpacks. Its sprayproof and I put everything inside ziplock bags inside it.

the 2 vs 3 base layers is dependant on the length of your journey and what washing facilities you have. My trips have been 30 days each and I took 3 pairs of long johns so one set was in the laundry and the other set was on me - while a clean dry set was in the cupboard in case I got a soaking.

I take a spare waterproof point and shoot that is clipped to my lifejacket while on the zodiacs while my main cameras are packed in the satchel. That way I can capture photos and videos during the zodiac trip.

That is good information, thank you. I see your next trip is in 1214 for a trip like we will have this year. Was the one in 2010 a good trip and do they still do those as I would like to see more if it is available. It would probably be in 2014 or 15 before I could go but would be great to look forward to.

No the KK was the only genuine icebreaker down there and my voyage in January was its final ever voyage in Antarctica and it has returned to being a working breaker in the north after 20 years in tourism.

So many of the regions we visited on those two voyages will never be seen by tourists again unless someone commissions another breaker down there.

I have a Osprey backpack that I have used in rainforests/downpours before and held up fine. It has a rain cover though I am bringing a large enough stuff sack that is further waterproof if i need it. I carry my camera equipment in there and put everything in ziplock baggies to as extra protection. I also purchased a pair of REI's waterproof pants. Are you on the Quark trip? I noticed our dates are slightly different. We embark on December 27 and return Jan 14.

I have a Osprey backpack that I have used in rainforests/downpours before and held up fine. It has a rain cover though I am bringing a large enough stuff sack that is further waterproof if i need it. I carry my camera equipment in there and put everything in ziplock baggies to as extra protection. I also purchased a pair of REI's waterproof pants. Are you on the Quark trip? I noticed our dates are slightly different. We embark on December 27 and return Jan 14.

Yes, I am on this Quark adventure I will be getting in on the 26th to be sure I can make the ship and from what I understand from my travel agent they are putting us up that night in a hotel and then transporting to ship the next afternoon. I will need that night as I will be in airports or flying from 25th through 26th and know I will need to rest a little before our big adventure.

Does anyone know what the temperature in Ushuaia will be when we arrive?

I will be on the Ocean Diamond going on their Antarctic Quest trip is this the one you will be on?

Thank you for information on backpack. I still have to get my waterproof mittens, I have my under gloves already.

Edited by bird2sea

The cost of the Quark voyage always includes the first night in the hotel and you then meet at the jetty carpark to board coaches to then be transported down the jetty - through security etc - to the ship to then go through passport control etc.

That usually around 3.30pm. They will advise you in the hotel the night before at the advice session whether there are organised tours to participate in between checkout and boarding. They usually have a choice of two tours set up. Both are organised to be complete and back in town prior to boarding time.

Gloves would be better than mittens - especially for dexterity when going down stairs and for boarding zodiacs etc. Normal waterproof ski gloves are fine.

You can check the forecast here http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Ushuaia/forecasts/latest

PerfectlyPerth thank you for the weather site. I had used the weather.com but had a hard time getting them to get the places we might go to come up. I also thank you for info on gloves I will be taking mittens and gloves wearing the mittens on the Zodiac as they are waterproof and then change to gloves when on shore for my camera work. I have all my stuff on the living room floor deciding which outfit to take carry-on and then the rest to be checked except for the important papers, etc. of course.

Wish you were going on this one I have read some of your writings and you sure know a lot about this area we will be in. Maybe some other trip.

PerfectlyPerth thank you for the weather site. I had used the weather.com but had a hard time getting them to get the places we might go to come up. I also thank you for info on gloves I will be taking mittens and gloves wearing the mittens on the Zodiac as they are waterproof and then change to gloves when on shore for my camera work. I have all my stuff on the living room floor deciding which outfit to take carry-on and then the rest to be checked except for the important papers, etc. of course.

Wish you were going on this one I have read some of your writings and you sure know a lot about this area we will be in. Maybe some other trip.

Elaine - if you live near a Costco - they had GREAT waterproof gloves, liners, base layer tops & bottoms, earmuffs, etc... for really good prices.

Dotty

I'm really not liking the idea of mittens on the zodiacs at all.

You need to be able to do sailors grip with the people helping you board the zodiacs. You may get passed something to hold while they get things organised. If the sea is a bit rough you will want to reach behind and grip the rope all g the side.

So many things I can picture where you will want good dexterity. I just can't see that with mittens.

In two very lengthy trips where the majority of passengers were on their tenth to 20th voyage - no one used mittens.

Happy packing. Mine gets spread all over the spare bed for months before the trip. At least I can just reuse same packing lists each year tho now. Less stress and shopping required.

We did not see anyone wearing mittens. This week, we got by fine with light weight gloves that were camera friendly. On some landings, I had to unzip or remove my jacket!

We saw the Quark Sea Adventurer anchored in the Lemaire Channel at sunset this week with yellow jacket wearing passengers on a ridge on land on Pleneau Island.

Edited by dileep

Well then I spent money I did not need but will have just in case my others get wet. Others are not water proof so just hope no big splashes. I am so glad it is almost time but still some anxious about the flights from BA to U as my papers say for me to be sure and check to see if my flight got changed to other airport (AEP) which I pray not as my agent had worked hard to have me at the same one both coming and going home as the times are not real compatible for me to have to change. I am supposed to be at EZE only so lets cross fingers nothing changes.

Did either of you exchange your money for some Peso and if so how much. I will not be taking any side trips this time only thinking about eating in U the one evening.

Edited by bird2sea

Just found out the cover for my laptop will not be coming so out tomorrow to hunt for one again locally. I may have to get one for a 17" and then fill it with a soft shirt to be sure my 15" does not giggle around too much in my carry on. having to show it at security is a pain but that is all part of traveling these days and I want to be as secure as possible so try to cooperate as best I can.

Only 4 more days WOW and Happy Christmas and New Year to all. IT looks like I will almost have the ship to my self, he, he! I know a lot of folks do not get on here any more it seems except if they are already a group. It looks like if the ship is full we will be having two groups to go ashore possibly three if they do smaller groups.

Whoever may be lurking and going on this see you soon.

• 1 year later...