Hotel in Ushuaia - suggestions please

jazcat

We are seriously looking into an Antarctic trip this coming February, yes, really last minute. We will need a hotel in Ushuaia for 2 or 3 nights before our cruise and 1 night after the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is a very small inn and is absolutely top notch - comfort, service, and food. It is owned by a couple and the husband is a chef. We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise and it was the perfect beginning to a wonderful trip. I posted a full review in the Member Review section (Ponant L'Austral was our vessel). Book early to make sure you can get in for your dates.

Enjoy the inn, Ushuaia, and Antarctica.

We stayed at Los Nires several years ago ... outside town (shuttle available, but we often walked into town), beautiful views of the Beagle Channel, lovely grounds. That was in 2007.

If you haven't done so, ask your Antarctic operator where they are putting you up if a pre-cruise night is already part of your voyage package. On our first trip, we asked Quark where they were putting us up because we wanted to stay in the same establishment for our pre-cruise days. With that information in hand, I did my research on $s, etc. and then asked Quark to book the additional nights at Los Nires for me as Lost Nires bookings weren't open to the public yet (I was doing this a year in advance). As I recall, I got a better deal by having Quark add the extra nights to our expedition package.

For our Jan 2015 expedition, we booked through AirBNB as we wanted something more than a hotel room for our 5-night stay.

Regardless of where you book, don't wait long --- during the Antarctic season accommodations book up fast.

Edited by h2so4

Right now we do not have a Antarctic operator, we had planned on just booking directly with the cruise operator, OneOcean Expeditions, and doing air, hotel and transfers on our own.

I do see what you mean about scheduling; we are planning to wrap everything up this week.

We booked with local OZ agent but it did appear that One Ocean did not do "packages" with regards to hotels etc.

Although what they do is collect your large luggage from your hotel, if staying pre cruise, on the morning of departure and then you get yourselves to the meeting point later in the day. They will also get you to the airport/hotel when you return.

Hope that helps.

I stayed at the Los Nires for one trip - the shuttle was pretty limited so you tended to feel a bit bound to the hotel. The last shuttle back to hotel was 7pm - and as its daylight til 10 and most people dont go to dinner til 8 - there was the hassel of then making sure you had pesos for a taxi instead.

On my last trip I stayed at the Albatross smack bang in the centre of town and handy to everything. Its 3 star incl breakfast with free wifi everywhere. It deals with almost all of the polar ships so it has a pretty organised plan each day for incoming ship pax and outgoings.

For me its about location and its in the perfect spot (I had 5 days either side of the ship so I wanted to be able to stroll to everything each day). Plus I asked for a wharf window which meant I could see all the new ships coming in thru the sunrise each morning and leaving each night. Loved it.

We stayed in the hotel Los Cauquenes Resort & Spa. It was very nice but quite expensive. I would recommend it but you'll need a car to get there easy, because it is out of town. The Views from there were incredible though. If you rent a car for the first 2 or 3 days it would be very nice and quite there, and you don't have to book any tours. All the touristic things you can reach easy be selfdrive. We stayed 4 nights there and 2 more nights on Tierra del Fuego. A lot of pictures from Ushuaia and beyond here: http://hurtigruten.bplaced.net/2012.12/index233.html

If you have any questions about Ushuaia, I'm happy to help you, if I can.

• 1 month later...