Anyone been to dawn beach lately??

tabprincess

We are going to be in St Maarten on 2-10-15 and were going to go to our usual hangout, Mr. Busby's on Dawn Beach, but after reading about damage from a storm, we are wondering if anyone has any first-hand, recent information about the conditions there.

We are beach people and really want to spend the day at a nice beach. NOT Orient though!

We are going to be in St Maarten on 2-10-15 and were going to go to our usual hangout, Mr. Busby's on Dawn Beach, but after reading about damage from a storm, we are wondering if anyone has any first-hand, recent information about the conditions there.

We are beach people and really want to spend the day at a nice beach. NOT Orient though!

We are staying at Oyster Bay on Dawn Beach. We were swimming there this morning. Mr. Busby's is fine - with no visible damage - we will be eating there this evening. The beach itself is raked every morning, so is OK; but there is a lot of seaweed in the water - you can find clear patches if you wander along the beach, but it is not as perfect as in the past.

The Palm Beach, at the north end of Orient has no seaweed on the beach or in the water - it is a pretty good restaurant with chairs and umbrellas and clothed customers. You do not go in the main entrance, but take a side road a couple of hundred yards north. The main part of Orient seemed to have moderate amounts of floating seaweed. The beach at LeGalion was clear, but the water was fairly choked with seaweed.

This morning the beach is being raked again, but the water is much clearer. I suspect it might be because the breeze was lighter yesterday afternoon and last night. The seaweed seems to be a result of strong onshore breezes - hopefully conditions will continue to improve. I'll post again in a few days. Meanwhile, the beach here is fine for today.

After another couple of days with only mild breezes, Dawn Beach is in good shape. It seems that strong winds drive the seaweed ashore. Right now there is very little on the beach, and only a few patches in the water - at the north end very close to the Oyster Bay resort. In front of Mr. Busby's it is great.

We are staying at Oyster Bay on Dawn Beach. We were swimming there this morning. Mr. Busby's is fine - with no visible damage - we will be eating there this evening. The beach itself is raked every morning, so is OK; but there is a lot of seaweed in the water - you can find clear patches if you wander along the beach, but it is not as perfect as in the past.

The Palm Beach, at the north end of Orient has no seaweed on the beach or in the water - it is a pretty good restaurant with chairs and umbrellas and clothed customers. You do not go in the main entrance, but take a side road a couple of hundred yards north. The main part of Orient seemed to have moderate amounts of floating seaweed. The beach at LeGalion was clear, but the water was fairly choked with seaweed.

so is it possible to come to palm beach for the day and rent chairs on the beach? It looks so beautiful! we are cruising there in early april and don't want to be bothered by seaweed or aggressive locals seeing their wares.

I looked on the website and couldn't find any info about a day tripper.

so is it possible to come to palm beach for the day and rent chairs on the beach? It looks so beautiful! we are cruising there in early april and don't want to be bothered by seaweed or aggressive locals seeing their wares.

I looked on the website and couldn't find any info about a day tripper.

No problem - their restaurant serves great food as well as reasonably priced snacks. Free chairs for bar and restaurant customers -- who are all day trippers.

No problem - their restaurant serves great food as well as reasonably priced snacks. Free chairs for bar and restaurant customers -- who are all day trippers.

Oh man, that is awesome. All I could find was orange fever or the cruise excursion. No, I didn't look too hard but still, this is SO NICE!

is it crowded

If you are talking about Palm Beach, I would say not. I was there on Wednesday 1/14 when Dawn Beach and LeGalion were almost empty due to seaweed - and Palm Beach was popular, but not at all crowded. Of course on a day with, say, two mega-ships and six others in port, things could be different.

After another couple of days with only mild breezes, Dawn Beach is in good shape. It seems that strong winds drive the seaweed ashore. Right now there is very little on the beach, and only a few patches in the water - at the north end very close to the Oyster Bay resort. In front of Mr. Busby's it is great.

Thanks so much for the update. Looks like Dawn Beach for us!

Edited by ciera123

If you are talking about Palm Beach, I would say not. I was there on Wednesday 1/14 when Dawn Beach and LeGalion were almost empty due to seaweed - and Palm Beach was popular, but not at all crowded. Of course on a day with, say, two mega-ships and six others in port, things could be different.

I am really surprised that le Galion was affected by the seaweed.

gary

I am really surprised that le Galion was affected by the seaweed.

gary

I was as well when I read this. I have been to LeGalion when the weather and sea conditions pretty much kept people out of the water and it was always calm and clear and seaweed free.

• 1 year later...

I've never been to Dawn Beach? Is it nicer than Orient? Been to Orient 3x, love the water there. How much is cab from ship to Dawn? How far? Cabs easily available? We'll be there March 24. Freedom of the seas. R/C. Thanks

Lisa from Jacksonville, FL

p.s. Navyteacherbanker. my DH is retired navy master chief 30 years. HOO YAH!

Edited by jaxflygirl88

I've never been to Dawn Beach? Is it nicer than Orient? Been to Orient 3x, love the water there. How much is cab from ship to Dawn? How far? Cabs easily available? We'll be there March 24. Freedom of the seas. R/C. Thanks

Lisa from Jacksonville, FL

p.s. Navyteacherbanker. my DH is retired navy master chief 30 years. HOO YAH!

Dawn isn't on my list of favorite beaches especially for children as I even find it too choppy to swim at sometimes. What are you looking for in a beach?

It takes 20 ish minutes and roughly the cost is $7 pp each way. The beach bar could call a taxi for you.

We were at Dawn Beach this past Saturday - very little seaweed, slight chop running - perhaps one foot crest to trough, great if you like some waves while swimming. Beau Beau's, the restaurant on the OBBR property overlooking the north end of the beach has closed - apparently lost their lease. But Mr. Busby's is good for lunch and umbrella/chair rental.

• 2 weeks later...
Dawn isn't on my list of favorite beaches especially for children as I even find it too choppy to swim at sometimes. What are you looking for in a beach?

It takes 20 ish minutes and roughly the cost is $7 pp each way. The beach bar could call a taxi for you.

Thanks! That is where we will go next week, esp. with all the protest and road closings to Orient.