bringing pills on airplane

punkmuse

was unsure where to post this.

i know that for Rx drugs you need to have it in the original bottle to get on a plane with it but what about vitamins and over the counter stuff?

i take a boatload of stuff everyday and i dont want to bring like 6 bottles on the plane when i can stuff things into a little pill box.

its all extremely innocuous stuff. allergy meds, vitamin D, multi-vitamin, iron, etc

DH and I always carry our pills in the little daily pill box. I do have the doc write out the precriptions we take on his precript paper and we also pack that...we have never been questioned about meds.

the OP is correct...liquids must be in the baggie allowed...my dh has nose spray and that goes in the baggie.

You can bring whatever you want/need to, as far as pills are concerned. If you're bringing narcotics, they should be in the original bottle. Other stuff, they never check and don't care. We always fly with hubby's medications in the "daily pill boxes"--no problems.

Since your question is about bringing medication on an airplane and not through customs, here is the TSA's policy on the transportation of medication:

Medications

twd_medications.jpg All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) migraine inhalers and CO2 refills.

Medications in daily dosage containers are allowed through the checkpoint once they been screened.

Medication and related supplies are normally X-rayed. However, as a customer service, TSA now allows you the option of requesting a visual inspection of your medication and associated supplies.

• You must request a visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise you medications and supplies will undergo X-ray inspection.
  • If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
  • Request the visual inspection and hand your medication pouch/bag to the Security Officer.
  • In order to prevent contamination or damage to medication and associated supplies and/or fragile medical materials, you will be asked at the security checkpoint to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during the visual inspection process.
  • Any medication and/or associated supplies that cannot be cleared visually must be submitted for X-ray screening. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

The transportation of medications through customs is a different matter and that is where you can run into problems if your medication is not in it's original container.

The Rx thing only refers to liquid medicines, pills can be in other containers and as large a you want, they are not liquid.

This is not quite true..

All meds must be labeled in some way if you are carrying them through the checkpoint.. If they are RX type of meds they MUST be in the original container.. Case in point, I hit the check point with a well used bottle of Nitro in my pocket. The label had come off. (Anyone who has carried this little brown bottle can attest to what happens to the label) It was found and they were NOT going to allow me to keep it. Until I pulled my spare bottle out of my carry on still in the RX bottle.. Just a heads up.. Meds are meds, whether they be in pill or liquid. Be safe and have everything labeled.. There have been some really good suggestions here as well..

Better to be a little safer than sorry should they want to take them..

If it's okay with you to risk having them confiscated do what you wish. If you are not okay risking they could be taken from you, be certain they are properly marked/labeled and make up your daily pill holders when you arrive at your destination.

Just because you have not yet had a problem, does not mean you may not on your next flight.

We have read here time and again about people who have been sorry they didn't listen.

Do what you wish but understand that there is not always full consistency at every security check at every airport, every day of the year.

I cannot risk losing our Rx and over the counter meds so I go to the 9th degree to be compliant so that I do not have to worry about not having medications we must have with us.

I agree that it is a huge hassle when you take multiple medications to take them all separately. So far I've never had my meds inspected. I did heed the warning of wiser posters on my last airplane flight out of fear that my might luck might run out. I hated carrying such a large bag but my bottles come in 3 month supplies. No one checked or cared. I'm not saying it won't happen but so far I've never had a problem. I do keep a copy of all my prescription print out labels that come with my rx's also in case there was ever a question.

If it's okay with you to risk having them confiscated do what you wish. If you are not okay risking they could be taken from you, be certain they are properly marked/labeled and make up your daily pill holders when you arrive at your destination.

Just because you have not yet had a problem, does not mean you may not on your next flight.

We have read here time and again about people who have been sorry they didn't listen.

Do what you wish but understand that there is not always full consistency at every security check at every airport, every day of the year.

I cannot risk losing our Rx and over the counter meds so I go to the 9th degree to be compliant so that I do not have to worry about not having medications we must have with us.

I totally agree with you. We all know that "the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing" so why take the chance of some overzealous TSA agent confiscating your medication because they don't know proper policy.

I travel with over 16 different RX meds that I take on a daily basis. I need these meds for my quality of life and cannot afford to be without them. Sure, they almost need their own suitcase because some of the bottles are so big and bulky, but I bring them all anyway. Better to be safe than sorry. I also bring a daily pill container along with me that I use.

One should also plan on having extra meds on hand in case your flights are cancelled/delayed, especially if flying in the winter months.

I have never had a problem with TSA when I travel.

I do put my meds in a compartmented box that holds a week's worth of twice a day meds. BUT, what I do is peel the Rx label off the bottles and stick them to the bottom of the med box just in case TSA wants to know what they are. The labels have a physical description of the appearance of the meds, so it is easy to tell which med is which.

Never once have they even looked at them, not even when flying internationally, and I do put them in my carry-on bag.

Everyone must think that the TSA are drug agents. They can do nothing.

TSA own WEB site does not say you need a prescription.

I have never heard of anyone that have had pills taken by the TSA.

This is not some country where you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Why all the misinformation about bring your pill on an airplane I do not understand.

Does anyone have a firsthand information about the TSA stopping people because they don't have pill in an original container speak up.

The TSA don't care...............

Does this mean in the USA you need to carry a prescription with you at all times when you carry any prescribed drugs? How many out there are afraid that you will be stopped a traffic infringement and you will be hauled off the jail for not have your pills in the RX bottle?

Don't know where all the people are getting all the bad information.

First off, if the TSA was interested in drugs they would be more likely to haul you off for 300 capsule bottle of vitamins. These could all contain cocaine.

TSA does not care about your small amount of prescription pills.

I have never had problems with US customs nor customs in any other county with carrying three weeks of pill in the weekly cases.

It is good idea to carry prescriptions for medicines that if you don't take would affect your health. Never know if you will lose your carry on with the pills. Id you have the prescriptions you could get them during your travels.

Apparently no one decided to find my old posts..

So, for the record ...

Yes, I have been pulled aside

Yes, I have been THOROUGHLY searched by TSA and International Customs.

The CDC, TSA, Mayo Clinic and IAMAT all suggest that ANY medicine

whether it is OTC or prescription be in the marked containers.

Interesting Donray you participated on that thread too,

I think this is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT DISCUSSION

so I've taken my time to copy and paste eveyrthing

I said in that thread.

With all due respect, MANY of you need to get your head

out of the sand.

Here is the link to the entire thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=17947480

Here are my posts

FIRST POST

I have been following this thread and this is the 1st time I've had a chance to respond.

I have severe chronic pain and carry extensive meds with me, just so I don't have to give up my love of travel.

The TSA and International security HAS pulled me aside, searched me spread eagle, and gone through all my luggage while asking me detailed questions and wanted documentation from my doctor...

It's a pretty scary experience being in our country AND especially in a foreign country not knowing how some underpaid, over diligent individual is going to respond.

I covered all my passes, but will it matter?

AND I always wonder...what happens to someone who didn't?

You can read my experience and further thoughts on the Health page in our personal online Travel Journal.

Follow the link below, go into journal then Health. I don't provide the exact link in because I can't monitor traffic to make sure our website doesn't crash. Though we don't track you personally.

This is a VERY serious subject and should not be dismissed by those that "have never had a problem in the past".

Also, I should note because of the sensitivity of the topic, this particular page on our website may be pulled closer to our travel dates later this year and then put back up when we return.

http://ourpassportstamps.com/

SECOND POST

Hi!

Very bad idea!

When we were in Riga Latvia ...my DH and I had switched carryons ...we were tired, jetlagged and not thinking...

They were opened all souvenir bags searched they unzippered the pocket I have my meds in...and they said ARE THESE YOURS to my DH?

Well, try explaining to someone that speaks English as their 4th language that these narcotics are my wifes. He was pissed pulled both of us aside body searched us...

and btw ONLY in the USA have I had a woman search me.

Because my chronic pain issue is from endometriosis.

I'm use to being poked and prodded in personal spaces, but

it is still unnerving even with your clothes on.

It was about 25 minutes before we were let go after a stern lecture.

We knew better as we always build in time for this sort of thing, but

we just weren't thinking that day and while I knew I was right, I had covered my bases to prove these were legit, I was scared. I had read the stories about Singapore and Dubai

Also, I didn't mention this but I think I will add it...when traveling INTER Europe and other countries sometimes the plane space is so small that they grab your carry on luggage once on the plane and put it below. In anticpation of that..I always pull a small bottle out and keep it in my pack..because what if you are delayed on the tarmac and you miss your scheduled med time and now you have no access to them.

Side note ...Glad you liked the website! It's been a labor of love! Once I finish all updates and adding more info to the website I will be announcing it on the personal website section.

3rd post

TSA says...

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT

if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers

at the checkpoint for further inspection.

For more information on these measures, please read our memo outlining our policy.

Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (PDF, 101 KB)

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened.

We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

We normally X-ray medication and related supplies. However, as a customer service, you may ask that Security Officers visually inspect

your medication and associated supplies.

Please read these pages

from the CDC

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh2-HealthKit.aspx

from our friends in Canada

http://www.pharmacists.ca/content/Consumer_Patient/Resource_Centre/Travelling_Prescription_Meds/PDFs/Sanofi_ver_Blk_Bottom_16Aug2006.pdf

Just spend some time googling and you will find many more

I belong to Kaiser and they are VERY clear about this and me traveling abroad with meds.

As I said on my posts and my website....

How many of you have time to deal with this while you are trying to catch a flight?

How many of you like the idea of being pulled aside and frisked spread eagle in a foreign country or our own country for that matter?

How many of you you think that just because the TSA doesn't REQUIRE this on their website and ONLY recommends this will be a non-issue?

This is a serious issue...

It's frightening how many people have their head in the sand on this one...

Fourth post

With all due respect....:)

I TOTALLY disagree with you.

even though you are not flying in this circumstance

Consider this...

If you NEED more prescriptions because your purse was lost, stolen or your trip is delayed.

Your communication to what you are EXACTLY taking to an out of town OR country pharmacist/doctor could be in jeopardy. they will not be able to fill in timely manner if at all

Also in a CRISIS situation can you or your travel partner really say everything clearly and concisely? The adrenaline is pumping, everyone is scared ..just visualize for a second

It's best to have copies of the original prescriptions so you can literally hand that to an Emergency Responder.

fifth post

A couple of things...

1st, sail7seas is right! :)

Name and Meds info should be together on Doctor letterhead with his License number on it.

Otherwise sample meds unlabeled put you back in the same boat as the pills in a pill container unlabeled

WHAT MY DOCTOR SAID TODAY!

Today was my pain doctor day when I get at least 15 trigger point injections into my stomach..so we have time during these for lengthly chats..

This is his take on the subject we have been discussing. Remember his speciality his pain management and is more updated on transportation of meds because of his patients and what he prescribes regularly in his field of expertise.

Pain doc was adamant about the labeling and writing your prescription for smaller bottles even though it's mail order said any doctor that won't do it for you should be reported. He said you should have at least 1 small pharmacy labeled container that you can easily transport in your day pack the rest can be big containers you keep locked in your carryon or shipboard safe.

He also mentioned that having your doctor put a note in your record when you are traveling where you will be and if your doctor is not available and an overseas doctor calls to inquire about medicine that the doctor on call approves it after accessing the circumstances.

Apparently he did that with me and I didn't know it.

He also reminded me to tell you all (which I forgot to say on our website) if you are traveling OVERSEAS with ANY narcotic component to call each countries embassy and our embassy in that country to verify if it is legal to carry your meds or to have CONSUMED on the ship but be in port...for example Dubai and Singapore should be off your list of travel destinations.

Does that make sense?

ok pain meds are now kicking in ~ need to take advantage of that and take a nap!

REALLY, they can strip search you, they can delay your trip

Do you think they know cold medicine from codiene

I have

This is not some country where you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Actually, you can be held on suspicion long enough to screw up your vacation plans

Why all the misinformation about bring your pill on an airplane I do not understand.

You participating in the thread I did last time, did you think I was lying?

Does anyone have a firsthand information about the TSA stopping people because they don't have pill in an original container speak up.

Did you not read my posts in that thread you participated in?

I"m stopped with meds in prescription bottles AND a letter from my doctor

OH HELL YES THEY DO!

Does this mean in the USA you need to carry a prescription with you at all times when you carry any prescribed drugs? How many out there are afraid that you will be stopped a traffic infringement and you will be hauled off the jail for not have your pills in the RX bottle?

I have friends that are police officers, they can arrest you for this and will.

First off, if the TSA was interested in drugs they would be more likely to haul you off for 300 capsule bottle of vitamins. These could all contain cocaine.

REALLY?

do you want to travel together some time...

I have never had problems with US customs nor customs in any other county with carrying three weeks of pill in the weekly cases.

LUCKY YOU!

That doesn't make it the same for everyone else

Please my dear fellow travelers I beg you...

think clearly and logically on this...

Please my dear fellow travelers I beg you...

think clearly and logically on this...

Why don't you tell me what USA airport you were striped searched by TSA and your pills taken away?

Don't believe you that TSA did that to you.

The police would have a nice law suite and the idiot cops you know would be off the force if they arrested someone with a few pills on them unless they definitely knew they were illegal drugs.

Are you afraid of the black helicopters?

That being said, if I were going to some countries and had a large quantity of narcotic type drugs I sure the hell would make sure that I had all kind of documentation.

San Francisco, which is my international airport

I was pulled aside

A woman guard had me step into a seperate room.

I was thoroughly searched spread eagle

My carryon was gone through meticulously, all meds were opened and I begged to present a note from my doctor which was read by 2 people. Finally they read it after 20 minutes

In Paris, Split, and Riga..

I was even more concerend as it's a foreign country with language barriers

I never said I was STRIP searched, but they can and will

I don't mean to sound critical as that is not me

but in my opinion you are very naive on this subject andwhile you don't seem concerned for yourself, I am and for others that share your opinion.

Regarding the police...

because I have narcotic prescriptions and need to drive

I have confirmed this with my police officer friends.

If I was ever pulled over and the situation arose that my purse was searched and I had narcotic medicine in my possession WITHOUT being in a labeled prescription bottle.

I can and will be arrested on the spot for being in possession.

How long do you think I would be detained before my DH or someone close to me could bring in my prescription bottle?

and what would the conditions be?

I'm on a strict schedule

for my medicine..if I don't meet that schedule ..it is hell on my body.

The police have a legal right to do this.

Just because you don't believe something is true

does not make it so.

Just to add some INTELLIGENT info to the discussion that I don't think is common knowledge. If you use inhalers of any kind.... the pharmacies, at least locally, only label the outer boxes.They must be labelled with the Rx on the outer box and on the inhaler itself if taking out of the country.

The reason I know this ?

1. I take 3 different kinds of prescription inhalers.

2. DD works in a pharmacy and chose to share this information AFTER we got back from our 1st cruise.

This is not something new, just since the TSA. Restrictions have gotten tighter, but my first trip to Europe in 1987, my Travel Agent advised me to take ANY medication (even aspirin) in it's original bottle. I always buy small bottles and take in it's new unopened sealed container. And if it's a prescription, in the bottle with a label with my name on it.

Since the TSA got involved, all these bottles go into the 1 quart plastic baggie for inspection. The only problem I had was a 2 oz bottle of Tears Naturale eye drops. The agent took it out of the plastic bag and asked what it was. I explained they were eye drops for dry eyes. He asked the agent next to him, and was told it was okay, since it was under 4 oz.

However, I did see one lady in front of me at LAX have her small daily container totally emptied into the trash can. As well as very expensive bottles of perfume. I traveled to Budapest on 10/18/2001 following 9/11 and they were discarding everything. The trash containers were overflowing with discarded items.

On our return from our Med cruise in Oct '08, I'm not sure what triggered security at Charles De Gaulle Airport in Paris, as we made sure not to have any liquids, but they pulled us aside and made us empty every single thing from our carry-ons, and she had a small wipette that she ran over certain items. I'm not even sure if the wipette changes color or was tested or what, but after about 15 minutes, she came back to us and said we could go. But then it took us another 5-10 minutes to repack everything into our carry-on bags. Had we been on a tight schedule, that 30 minute delay could have caused us to miss our flight. Besides the fact that you are in a foreign country, they explain nothing to you, and this is all done in full view of everyone else going through security. We were both shaking from this encounter, as we had no idea what they had seen or was looking for.

On the other side, I understand the folks saying they have never had a problem. My friend and traveling companion takes a ton of medications. She very carefully had her doctor give her small prescription bottles, and she packed in a quart baggie. Going through security, nobody ever even took that baggie out of her carry-on to look at the various medications.

But it doesn't mean they can't, or don't look at those things and why would you want to have your trip start or end on that note? It is very embarassing and scary to be singled out, pulled to the side and searched or frisked. I try to comply to their rules, and even then sometimes it just doesn't work.:eek:

It is good idea to carry prescriptions for medicines that if you don't take would affect your health. Never know if you will lose your carry on with the pills. Id you have the prescriptions you could get them during your travels.

Even if everything you say here is true and I do not think it is, that would be the situation if everything was done perfectly in all airports by all inspectors all the time. We all know that is not the case. If even one of them is mistaken and does not clearly know the rules or is having a bad day, there goes your 'perfect rule'. Even IF you are totally correct (which I don't think you are) you still lose as they have the power and the badge and you do not.

The only thing you can do if they determine your meds are going to be dumped is accept their ruling or decide to not fly at that time.

My world isn't perfect. I'm happy for anyone who's world is always perfect.

Just because something has not (YET) happened to you does NOT mean it hasn't happened to others. Just because perhaps it shouldn't does NOT mean it doesn't.

What conceivable reason would a poster have to write about their experiences that you say didn't happen? They did happen! They simply did not (YET) happen to you.

wow I didnt realize what a can of worms i was opening!

Micki Dee, thank you for posting the TSA blurb.

Where2Next, i had not had a chance yet to look up your old posts, so thank you for posting them. sorry you have had such troubles in airports.

i think we have kind of gotten away from my original question :D

i am planning on taking my Rx meds in there original container. i have 1-2 meds that are actual Rx, one of which i cannot go without so taking the chance is not worth it to me.

i even got a doctors note yesterday for my CPAP equipment, even though they are allowed on planes no issues, i feel better having a Dr note saying its medically necessary for me to travel with it.

my issue was with non-Rx meds. allergy meds, vitamins, etc.

so i guess the general consensus is that i do not NEED to bring them in their original bottle, but there is a chance, however slim, that i may be questioned or asked to toss them. thats fine. they are not necessary its just what i take on a regular basis. i prefer to not toss them but a week without them would not be a tragedy

thanks everyone for your input :)

Where2Next I was searched in Heathrow right at the scanners in front of everyone, total patdown, and I knew they were touching me. Not because of the meds that I had but because I was being profiled. White,redhead,freckles, can we say Irish. I won't even go into what happened in Northern Ireland. It's part of the process of travel.

TSA does not have the right to take your meds. That being said LEO's do and have done so. If the TSA agent calls over a LEO they are the ones who will take your meds, strip search and whatever else they deem necessary. If it is a liquid then the TSA would have the power to take it away. If it is pills they don't. Any medical device up to and including lancets,syringes and inhalers they are not supposed to touch because of cross contamination. Policy will differ airport to airport but the basics are on the web site for all to see. As long as you follow basic policy you should have no problem. If you do ask to speak to a Lead or Supervisor. Keep in mind most airports ask that you arrive at least two hours earlier than your flight in case of anything that might come up. You might be on time but that person in front of you might cause a hold up.

eileen

Attitude and body language have a lot to do with it. When they are screening your luggage or hand searching it, DON'T make a scene, don't make comments that would lead the TSA agent to think/suspect you are bringing something illegal with you.

The big blowhards are always the ones who get the extra screening. Not meaning anyone here, but the type I always tend to get behind in line. (never get behind me in line at the grocery store, as the person in front of me will be having more problems that you can imagine while we all wait)

When you start hearing "You can't do that" "I will call my congressman" "somebody get this idiot out of my things" be prepared for a long wait. I have heard it all and then have waited and watched while they slow down the process and eventually take the person to a different screening areas and delay them further.

I have worked in the travel industry for over 40 years and, believe me, the loud squeeky wheel does NOT get the oil.

As stated before, pills are not a problem for basic security, it is the liquids that cause the problems, and they need to be in the quart size baggie and no larger than 3.4 ounces ( this is the limit, not 3 ounces as stated because european liquids are in liter measurements and 100ML is 3.4 ounces)

I have traveled with my medications in a daily portioned pill box for many years and have never had a question asked, but have had friends that have been questioned about theirs (although this was NOT TSA, but customs in foreign countries) I always have copies of my prescriptions with other paper work so that if I am ever asked, I can show what I am taking.

As far as OTC drugs, remember that TSA doesn't give a hoot what it is just the size (liquids) if they suspect it to be something other than medication, they would have to call LEO or customs to handle further actions.

Archived