Formula 1 racing -

Romy40

Any cruises that incorporate one of these races? The husband is a big fan, and would love to see one. I don't know where they are held next year, but perhaps another F-1 fan would.

Thanks.

Romy

I know there's at least 1 special charter for the Monaco Grand Prix - I think they use an Azamera ship (during the race, you could see the ship anchored offshore just before the cars entered the tunnel) It is, of course, quite pricey, but that's Monaco.

I believe I have also seen the Monaco GP as a shore excursion for a Princess cruise, so worth checking out.

I found next year's provisional calendar - subject to change, but pretty dependable for the major European races at least:

11 March – Bahrain Grand Prix (Sakhir)

18 March – Australian Grand Prix (Melbourne)

1 April – Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)

8 April – Chinese Grand Prix (Shanghai)

22 April – Korean Grand Prix (Yeongam)

6 May – Turkish Grand Prix (Istanbul) *

20 May – Spanish Grand Prix (Barcelona)

27 May – Monaco Grand Prix (Monte Carlo)

10 June – Canadian Grand Prix (Montreal)

17 June – United States Grand Prix (Austin)

1 July – European Grand Prix (Valencia)

15 July – British Grand Prix (Silverstone)

29 July – German Grand Prix (Hockenheim)

5 August – Hungarian Grand Prix (Hungaroring)

2 September – Belgian Grand Prix (Spa-Francorchamps)

9 September – Italian Grand Prix (Monza)

30 September – Singapore Grand Prix (Marina Bay)

14 October – Japanese Grand Prix (Suzuka)

28 October – Indian Grand Prix (Greater Noida)

11 November – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (Yas Marina)

25 November – Brazilian Grand Prix (Interlagos)

I know there's at least 1 special charter for the Monaco Grand Prix - I think they use an Azamera ship (during the race, you could see the ship anchored offshore just before the cars entered the tunnel) It is, of course, quite pricey, but that's Monaco.

I believe I have also seen the Monaco GP as a shore excursion for a Princess cruise, so worth checking out.

My husband would LOVE to go. We have talked about it for years and know several other couples that might like to go also. We got up really early to watch it a couple weeks ago and were noticing all the beautiful yachts. I scanned for any cruise ships but didn't see any.

Idon't have time for a few days but will start search then. Please post any info if you find any.

Thanks for posting. I posted this question several years ago and got no hits.

I took a Seabourn cruise that had the Monaco GP as part of the itinerary. And what was great about that is, the Seabourn Pride was small enough to fit in the harbor so we were able to sit on the ship and watch the race from there. You might also want to check if Silversea does a cruise at that time.

Thanks for telling me what ship was in the harbor. It has been a pretty amazing racing season for the classic races this year. Indy, Monaco, Le Mans and Daytona, all had amazing finishes. The cruise ship in Monaco was in every shot as the cars headed into the famous tunnel. I wasted most of Saturday and Sunday grinding thru an amazing Le Mans race. I must say it is the first Le Mans 24 hour race that I managed to actually watch. The Audis were destroying themselves in spectacular fashion and still managed to eek out a 12 second win, in a 24 hour race. Wow.

jc

Just looked and the race in Monaco is May 27, 2012. And Azamera doesn't have one at that time.

Azamara Quest sailing from Nice on 24th May 2012 is the ship that you want for the Monaco Grand Prix on 27th, it arrives at 7.00 a.m. and leaves at midnight.

I will be green with envy if anyone books :D

My old boss did this a few years back and was disappointed. She has been to numerous races before (both ovals and road courses) where you can see from the stands all or most of the track so you know what's going on everywhere. The Monaco circuit is a little over 2 miles in length and she figures she had a view of about 150 yards of that. Here's a sample of what you get at Monaco unless you're a billionaire:

I suppose it's great if your goal is the people watching but if you want to actually see the race be prepared for some disappointment.

Azamara Quest sailing from Nice on 24th May 2012 is the ship that you want for the Monaco Grand Prix on 27th, it arrives at 7.00 a.m. and leaves at midnight.

I will be green with envy if anyone books :D

How'd I miss that?????

I'll check it out - wish there was one that stayed several nights.

THANKS

The European Grand Prix are generally very expensive in particular the in one Monte Carlo. Have a cup of coffee on Race weekend and your wallet will think it just shelled out for a 7 day cruise!!!!

If he really want sto go to one live.... Montreal is probably the closest one while there are one that are cheaper. The far eastern ones are generally cheaper.

2012 Monaco- you might have a look at Azamara but I also so saw someone else offering it - just can not remember who - maybe I will remember

I wonder if the ship would have an excursion to go see the race at the course instead of from the ship? That would work.

There is gran prix tour web site that offers packages, I will check it to see if they have any cruises offered. Pretty unlikely though as I think they include qualifying and meeting with the drivers in most of the tours.

We may do 2012 Montreal. I suggested Texas and combine it with a family visit but DH thinks the heat would be brutal.

We got up really early to watch it a couple weeks ago and were noticing all the beautiful yachts. I scanned for any cruise ships but didn't see any.

Silversea Silver Spirit was there, moored in Monaco Bay. We arrived at 7am on the Saturday morning, and left Monaco at 1am Monday morning.

We had tickets to see the Grand Prix on the Sunday afternoon, and even though I'm not a race fan it was fantastic. In fact the whole weekend was fabulous. I got caught up in the excitement of the race and all the glamour.

Highly recommended.

Silver Spirit will be there next year too, Voyage number 5213, departing Barcelona on 24 May. Again the ship will be in Monaco bay for the whole weekend of the GP.

Other ships anchored along with us were Azamara, Wind Star, and the Seabourn Legend was in the harbour.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a few years old but looking for ideas for 2013. DH really wants to do Spa Belgium and I was thinking of taking a Baltic or West European cruise in addition. Race date is 8/25/13 and we would want to be there the two days prior for practice and qualifying. Makes it hard to fit a cruise in with the races being on Sunday.

Archived