Punta Arenas Chile

bocaraton

From Punta Arenas on we were cold on this cruise as it was to go up the Straits of Magellan...Punta Arenas also has a tour to wildlife including penguins and more, but we did not take it. We were glad we had done the one back in Puerto Madryn..Punta Arenas is far south in Chile and the further south the closer to Antartica. Dress warmly if you decide to take a tour here.

So...what did you do during the 12 hours or so your ship was there?

Our Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise is in Feb. 2016, and I'm thinking of doing the tour to Isla Magdalena from Punta Arenas.

We did nothing. Went on shore. Walked around. You need very heavy clothes. You cannot do all the tours on this cruise...some people try. Many just enjoyed the ship during the hours in port...We did major tours and Punta Arenas is one of the places we elected to just ride/walk around and glad we did.

Thank you for all your helpful port reviews. All interesting! We are leaving for similar voyage in three weeks and I am going to make sure to have plenty of cold weather gear. I suspect, though, your Florida blood accounted for some of your discomfort from the cold. We mid-westerners think it's a warm day if it hits 30 in the winter.

Thank you for all your helpful port reviews. All interesting! We are leaving for similar voyage in three weeks and I am going to make sure to have plenty of cold weather gear. I suspect, though, your Florida blood accounted for some of your discomfort from the cold. We mid-westerners think it's a warm day if it hits 30 in the winter.

not the cold so much as strong winds...forewarned is forearmed.

If you can get on an excursion to Magdalena Island do it - well worth it. We did it in December and it was a great experience. Right from arrival at the small dock on the island where we were met by thousands of Penguins.:)

If you can get on an excursion to Magdalena Island do it - well worth it. We did it in December and it was a great experience. Right from arrival at the small dock on the island where we were met by thousands of Penguins.:)

Did you book the excursion through the ship or with an independent vendor?

We did nothing. Went on shore. Walked around. You need very heavy clothes. You cannot do all the tours on this cruise...some people try. Many just enjoyed the ship during the hours in port...We did major tours and Punta Arenas is one of the places we elected to just ride/walk around and glad we did.

It was your trip to do as you wished. Thank you for your posts about your cruise port activities.