which is easiest airport to connect of these?

vacation fool

I used the search function but did not get any useful info.

Trying to figure out which is best airport to connect to when going to MIA-FLR. My choices are Munich, Frankfurt or Amsterdam?

And how much of a layover would I need to clear customs? Looks like choices are Luftansa and Swiss Air . I have never flown with either so if anyone has any recommendations they are appreciated.

Also, i have amex reward points. Would i be able to open a frequent flyer account on any airline and then deposit my points? I have always done this with Delta but their connection is CDG and partner with AF and i am done with both of them. :rolleyes: Thanks for the assistance

There are many references here to Munich being a very easy airport to connect in. It is relatively small, and very easy to use.

You don't clear customs until your final destination coming from the US. You go thru a passport check, and thru security again at FRA, MUN or AMS. At Munich probably an hour is the minimum, Frankfurt minimum 90 minutes.

Swiss Air is perhaps the best, if going in Business or First. Probably not much difference in Coach. Swiss Air goes non-stop to Munich? Does Lufthansa? (From MIA. on each of these..).

If you haven't yet, try the A380 service MIA-FRA.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Also, i have amex reward points. Would i be able to open a frequent flyer account on any airline and then deposit my points? I have always done this with Delta but their connection is CDG and partner with AF and i am done with both of them. :rolleyes: Thanks for the assistance

Yes, you would be able to transfer to an account with any of the FF programs listed here. Check to make sure what the exchange is - some are 1:1, some are a bit less or more. Best thing to do is to check for availability on the various programs, then once you've confirmed you can actually get the flight you want, initiate the transfer. While I can't say absolutely how long it takes to transfer with AMEX US, I know the one time I transferred my AMEX Canada points to Aeroplan, it took all of 45 seconds :D.

There are many references here to Munich being a very easy airport to connect in. It is relatively small, and very easy to use.

You don't clear customs until your final destination coming from the US. You go thru a passport check, and thru security again at FRA, MUN or AMS. At Munich probably an hour is the minimum, Frankfurt minimum 90 minutes. oops i didnt mean customs. i meant the security check. do you have to collect your luggage from the first flight and take it with you thru security to the second leg?

Swiss Air is perhaps the best, if going in Business or First. Probably not much difference in Coach. Swiss Air goes non-stop to Munich? Does Lufthansa? (From MIA. on each of these..). there are no nonstop flights from MIA to FLR

If you haven't yet, try the A380 service MIA-FRA.

thanks for the heads up on munich

Yes, you would be able to transfer to an account with any of the FF programs listed here. Check to make sure what the exchange is - some are 1:1, some are a bit less or more. Best thing to do is to check for availability on the various programs, then once you've confirmed you can actually get the flight you want, initiate the transfer. While I can't say absolutely how long it takes to transfer with AMEX US, I know the one time I transferred my AMEX Canada points to Aeroplan, it took all of 45 seconds :D.

Munich is the easiest by far.

Since you mentioned Swiss, you could connect through Zurich, which is also an easy connection.

Amsterdam is not too bad, but Frankfurt is like a rat maze.

thanks to you both. i had forgotten to list zurich as a potential. united (swiss air) does have a flight that goes thru zurich. is 1hr 50 min enuf of a layover to get thru security/passport control?

I didn't ask about a non-stop to FLR from MIA, I wondered if Swiss does a non-stop to Munich from Miami. That would be unusual. Also if Lufthansa did a non-stop to Munich from Miami.

The idea of a Swiss flight to Zurich is good. 1 hr 50 minutes should be plenty.

Your bags will be checked thru to FLR in most cases. You don't need to claim them in Munich or Frankfurt.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Munich. Swiss seats uncomfortable to me, 116 ls female. Like the seats, service on LH.They also hit every airport over there. They have a new 787 dedicated to Miami.Detest UA.

Edited by zoncom

thanks to you both. i had forgotten to list zurich as a potential. united (swiss air) does have a flight that goes thru zurich. is 1hr 50 min enuf of a layover to get thru security/passport control?

Zurich is a pretty easy airport - you should be fine with 1h50. Haven't taken Swiss yet, but will be flying them in Business next month... Have you looked at whether you have enough points for a Biz seat? might not be that many more, and sooo worth it!

Munich is the easiest by far.

Since you mentioned Swiss, you could connect through Zurich, which is also an easy connection.

Amsterdam is not too bad, but Frankfurt is like a rat maze.

I have a friend who travels to Europe a few times a year for business (works for some pharmaceutical company) and he says FRA is one of the best and easiest to go through. He ranks AMS only slightly above LRH. One persons "rat maze" is another persons best places to transit.

Our advice is only use LHR as a destination airport. Even then, we actually prefer Gatwick but LHR access to the tube is so handy.

As a transfer airport it is one of the absolute worst. We had the misfortune to pass through LHR again last month and had to switch terminals. A zoo. And it can be even worse if there is a heightened security alert.

I didn't ask about a non-stop to FLR from MIA, I wondered if Swiss does a non-stop to Munich from Miami. That would be unusual. Also if Lufthansa did a non-stop to Munich from Miami.

The idea of a Swiss flight to Zurich is good. 1 hr 50 minutes should be plenty.

Your bags will be checked thru to FLR in most cases. You don't need to claim them in Munich or Frankfurt.

Sorry I misread. From my research I dont see any Swiss flights stopping in Munich only Zurich to MIA. I am only considering flights that have one stop/connection. I did find a return flight on Luftansa from Munich to MIA but the outbound connects in Frankfurt which people are saying is a zoo. The layover is only 1hr 25 min. I tried called Luftansa but dont answer on weekends only m-f? Trying to find out if i can take a second checked in bag if i pay for it. Combed website under baggage section. It is not really clear but if i am reading it correctly you cannot check more than 32 kg total even though each bag should be no more than 23 kg. Does anyone know about this? does that mean i could check another bag with 9 kg? but i dont see any rates. I wish i could just deal with only u.s. airlines but that is impossible with this itinerary as they all have european partners. After our ordeal in CDG we will not fly air france again so that leaves most of deltas flights out. Delta does have a good flight outbound MIA-FCO-FLR with alitalia but the return has 2 stops both in nightmare airports JFK and CDG so that is out. My outbound date is 10/22/15 and return is tentative right now but use 11/4/15.

And here is another question....Could i book the delta alitalia outbound flight for only one ways for both me and my husband and then pay cash for a return flight for the both of us on a different airline? would there be any consequences/repercussions? I am really try to research and put this together the best I can but am feeling out of my league on this so very much appreciate everyones continued input. I normally plan everything but this itinerary with the kgs/# of stops/ and knowing nothing about these connecting airports in germany(i saw one for dusseldorf too) is overwhelming me :eek:

AMS is not bad at all, although large. FRA is just massive.

Any of them is better than changing at a US airport.

Even LHR isn't too bad if you're not changing terminal buildings.

Best thing about all of the major European airports is that they're all on rail lines to get into the city or faraway places. If you're flying to Firenze, you might also want to check out PSA/Pisa airport which at one point did have a daily flight to the USA. Pisa to Firenze isn't difficult at all by train.

Swiss and Lufthansa are both part of the Lufthansa group of airlines that include Austrian and Brussels Airline as well. You can usually combine flights with all of these airlines meaning you could use Munich one way and Zurich the other and experience both airlines. On their websites you select Lufthansa group and not just their own airline or book at a agency website or referral website. They can not be mentioned here.

Zurich is probably the best airport in the world at the moment and Munich would be in the top 5. Frankfurt is not that bad anymore and certainly so much better then Paris CDG.

Connecting at Zurich is painless and involves taking a pleasant train prior to passport check one escalator up and then connecting gates one more escalator up with no gate more than 10 minute walk from there.

The only problem with Swiss in economy is that the seats are just a little narrower on the 2 side of the 2-3-2 configuration. Service is excellent. Swiss beat out Lufthansa a little in Business if that is being considered.

Lufthansa seats are just a bit better.

Lufthansa has also been hit at Frankfurt with occasional pilot strikes the past year, but they are always scheduled and effected flights notified.

Trying to find out if i can take a second checked in bag if i pay for it. Combed website under baggage section. It is not really clear but if i am reading it correctly you cannot check more than 32 kg total even though each bag should be no more than 23 kg. Does anyone know about this? does that mean i could check another bag with 9 kg? but i dont see any rates.
Unless there's something special about you or your trip, the normal economy allowance is one bag - see this page: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Free-baggage-rules

If you want to take an extra piece, it's USD 100 - see this page, and page 3 of the PDF download from it: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Excess-baggage

This all assumes that neither of your pieces is overweight (over 23 kg) nor oversize. It's also worth remembering that the free allowance is a one bag allowance, not a 23 kg allowance. If you take two bags each weighing 10 kg, you have to pay for the second bag.

You don't quote what you saw as "32 kg total", but it is likely that you saw a reference to the 32 kg limit which is the absolute maximum per bag, ie the weight beyond which the airline will not accept the bag even if you were prepared to pay for it.

And here is another question....Could i book the delta alitalia outbound flight for only one ways for both me and my husband and then pay cash for a return flight for the both of us on a different airline? would there be any consequences/repercussions?
Yes, you could. The likely consequence is that you would pay a small fortune because you would be buying one-way long-haul tickets. There are a few airlines that offer discount one-way long-haul fares across the Atlantic, but only a few.

My outbound date is 10/22/15 and return is tentative right now but use 11/4/15.
Just doing the simplest of searches on this date, this was the first result. Frankly, what's not to like about this, overall?

And there's little stress even if you were to miss the first connection - you'd just get the later flight to FLR that day.

1fjxus.jpg

thanks to all who replied yesterday. i did not know luftansa and swiss were related and that i could book one leg on each. also did not see anywhere the cost of the 2nd bag so thanks. globaliser-those flights you posted are perfect. however when i went in to look at reward flights those were not listed. frankly-i love that itinerary ;) i am trying to use rewards for one ticket. i emailed luftansa/swiss air miles and more dept to ask if my amex reward points are 1pt- 1 mile in their frequent flyer program but so far no reply. scottbee-wondering why you prefer to change connections in europe vs usa? i was thinking the opposite. :confused:

thanks to all who replied yesterday. i did not know luftansa and swiss were related and that i could book one leg on each. also did not see anywhere the cost of the 2nd bag so thanks. globaliser-those flights you posted are perfect. however when i went in to look at reward flights those were not listed. frankly-i love that itinerary ;) i am trying to use rewards for one ticket. i emailed luftansa/swiss air miles and more dept to ask if my amex reward points are 1pt- 1 mile in their frequent flyer program but so far no reply. scottbee-wondering why you prefer to change connections in europe vs usa? i was thinking the opposite. :confused:

The only Star Alliance airlines you can transfer your AMEX points to are Air Canada and Singapore Airlines; you can then use their miles to book on Swiss.

There are some tricks for using Aeroplan miles, but in your case it's pretty straightforward - if you slightly shift your dates :D. While I can't find any flights on Swiss exactly matching the above flights, I did find this on Oct.21-Nov 5:

DEPARTUREMiami (MIA) Florence Peretola (FLR)Wed Oct 21, 2015

Swiss LX65

Departs : Wed. Oct 2119:40Miami (MIA)

Arrives : Thu. Oct 2211:00Zurich (ZRH)

Flight Duration : 9h 20 min

ECONOMY

Class XAirbus A330-300Complimentary meal

Change plane in ZurichTime to connect : 1h 50 min

Swiss LX1674 Operated by SWISS EUROPEAN AIR LINES

Departs : Thu. Oct 2212:50Zurich (ZRH)

Arrives : Thu. Oct 2214:05Florence Peretola (FLR)

Flight Duration : 1h 15 min

ECONOMY

Class XAR1Meal Not available

Total travel time : 12h 25min

RETURNFlorence Peretola (FLR) Miami (MIA)Thu Nov 5, 2015

Swiss LX1679 Operated by SWISS EUROPEAN AIR LINES

Departs : Thu. Nov 509:50Florence Peretola (FLR)

Arrives : Thu. Nov 511:10Zurich (ZRH)

Flight Duration : 1h 20 min

ECONOMY

Class XAR1Meal Not available

Change plane in ZurichTime to connect : 2h 05 min

Swiss LX64

Departs : Thu. Nov 513:15Zurich (ZRH)

Arrives : Thu. Nov 518:00Miami (MIA)

Flight Duration : 10h 45 min

ECONOMY

Class XAirbus A330-300Complimentary meal

Total travel time : 14h 10min

Cost: 60,000 miles + CA$146.80.

I do not like LHR as a transfer airport, unless I have about 4 hours - then I can go cruise the Duty Free area and hit one of the lounges. I have only done a connection once at FRA and it was unremarkable. I've ended and started flights in MUC - I loved the shopping area there, as well as the Audi Forum on-site (can always pick something for my TT there). I've been through ZRH twice and it was, again unremarkable.

People may think I'm a tad daft, but I like connecting through CDG. I do SkyTeam when I can, and the T2E/F area and the attached Sheraton CDG hotel are an easy transition for me. Those who don't like CDG (and I used to hate it) may be going through the nasty old T2A (American) or T1 (United) or haven't been there since the construction (and re-construction following the collapse at T2). The duty-free area down around the M pier of T2 is very nice and the Air France lounge at M is probably the nicest airport lounge I've even been inside.

I do not like LHR as a transfer airport, unless I have about 4 hours - then I can go cruise the Duty Free area and hit one of the lounges. I have only done a connection once at FRA and it was unremarkable. I've ended and started flights in MUC - I loved the shopping area there, as well as the Audi Forum on-site (can always pick something for my TT there). I've been through ZRH twice and it was, again unremarkable.

People may think I'm a tad daft, but I like connecting through CDG. I do SkyTeam when I can, and the T2E/F area and the attached Sheraton CDG hotel are an easy transition for me. Those who don't like CDG (and I used to hate it) may be going through the nasty old T2A (American) or T1 (United) or haven't been there since the construction (and re-construction following the collapse at T2). The duty-free area down around the M pier of T2 is very nice and the Air France lounge at M is probably the nicest airport lounge I've even been inside.

Ahhh yes, the joys of airline alliances. That seems to be the deciding factor in where we connect 90% of the time. (Those of us that play the game anyway. :D ). I think as long as one has plenty of time there really isn't much of a difference between airports. With a few exceptions they are all pretty much the same inside. This is why I always book my own flights and don't leave it to TA's or Choice Air, to make sure I have plenty of time and not have to stress out and rush.

There are so many reasons;

• European airports are 100% designed for international connections, whereas in all cases in the USA you'll need clear customs immigration at the 1st your stop in the USA.
  • The USA have have incredibly slow customs and immigration compared with almost every other country.
  • Two of the US' major ports of entries [JFK and LAX] are airports with a huge number of terminal buildings, and it almost always requires a switch between terminals.
  • European consumer protection laws are better than the US ones in the case of cancellations, involuntary denied boarding etc etc

Hey to each their own. I like LHR...but then again I'm incredibly familiar with it, which helps.

Hey to each their own. I like LHR...but then again I'm incredibly familiar with it, which helps.

It may be I didn't like my experiences at LHR because I was doing inter-alliance flights and had to change buildings, take that train, and do that very strange and long connections walk. Once, we had day rooms at the Hilton in-between our AA flights from the US to our Kenya Air flights to Nairobi. That was a very dreary walk to the hotel. One time, on the way back, our flight was delayed, leaving 1.5 hours for getting to the next flight - we RAN through everything and literally made it at the cutoff!!!

Yep, if you fly alliances, it does color your airport choices;) But, I will say that I avoid JFK and ATL any time I can - HATE those airports for connections!!! I'll do my connection in Europe and find those flights back to the US that land someplace else...

My problem with Heathrow is that I'm usually switching from AA to BA or v.v., so schlepping from/to T5/T3. One, I usually arrive at the flight connections bus stop right when the bus is pulling away, and two, I usually end up using one of AA's T3 gates that are closer to Windsor than to bag claim. Death march, especially after one or more longhaul trips in a cigar tube.

And if for some reason I have to stay overnight near the airport, the Hotel Hoppa Bus wins my nomination for Satan's Kingdom on Earth, mobile branch.