First Time Cruisers:What are the "must haves"?

Bigbluegal

We will be cruising on the FOS in July. This is our first family cruise....6 of us ages 17, 18, 23, 43, 49, 69. What are some items that are "must haves" for our trip. We will be doing the Western Caribbean itinerary. Also, if you have travelled to these ports, are there excursions that we wouldn't want to miss or some better left off our agenda?

We will be cruising on the FOS in July. This is our first family cruise....6 of us ages 17, 18, 23, 43, 49, 69. What are some items that are "must haves" for our trip. We will be doing the Western Caribbean itinerary. Also, if you have travelled to these ports, are there excursions that we wouldn't want to miss or some better left off our agenda?

Do not be bashful in the MDR.

Order extra appetizers and entrees.

A cruise is no different from any other vacation to a warm climate. You don't need a bunch of "doo-dads".... Hopefully, you will have 3 cabins for 6 people!

Read a guidebook on your ports...you may find what interests you requires NO excursion at all! Many things are quite easy to do on your own..and cheaper, too! What is a "must-do" for me, may not be for you! So, learn something about your ports, what's available and see what "floats your boat"!

July of what year? Do you mean in 8 weeks?

I spend about 30 mins a day researching about my trip for January 2017.

If it is in 8 weeks better get busy lol.

You need to read about where you are going to be able to make these decisions.

Go to Kindle books and pay the $10.00 a month fee for the next couple months.

There are a ton of "free" books within the kindle subscription to read about each port. You can skim through fairly quickly and pick out just the bullets.

Hire your own driver/van for the day in each port. That way you have a guide and driver which gives you some freedom.

There is room service. This I missed somehow on my first cruise.

Take the time to watch the ocean. It is alive but one must be still to see life.

On my first and only cruise I would hangout on the bow for a long time.

I saw flying fish, dolphins, Rays and many jumping fish. People would walk by and say what are you looking at? They would stop for a minute and say "we don't see anything." And they would leave.

Take binoculars if you have them.

Your question is very broad and style specific.

If you are leaving in 5-8 weeks reservations fill up.

If it is a year then you have plenty of time.

I have all my reservations made and some paid for 8 months ahead.

Good luck. It should be a blast with three teenagers for grandma to keep up with! Kids add life to the group.

Some people love them, some hate them....but I travel with teenagers and I have found a clear over the door shoe hanger is invaluable to us. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door.

We use it to store invites, excursion tjckets, Sun screen, lotion. etc. It's more convenient for us rather than having kids searching all over. It folds flat and takes up very little room in our luggage.

Birth certificate and government photo id or else a passport

Lots of sunscreen, more than you think you need

Shade hat

Bathing suit & coverup

Huge memory disc for camera, extra batteries or charger

Read Ports of Call board for each of your destinations

July of what year? Do you mean in 8 weeks?

I spend about 30 mins a day researching about my trip for January 2017.

If it is in 8 weeks better get busy lol.

You need to read about where you are going to be able to make these decisions.

Go to Kindle books and pay the $10.00 a month fee for the next couple months.

There are a ton of "free" books within the kindle subscription to read about each port. You can skim through fairly quickly and pick out just the bullets.

Hire your own driver/van for the day in each port. That way you have a guide and driver which gives you some freedom.

There is room service. This I missed somehow on my first cruise.

Take the time to watch the ocean. It is alive but one must be still to see life.

On my first and only cruise I would hangout on the bow for a long time.

I saw flying fish, dolphins, Rays and many jumping fish. People would walk by and say what are you looking at? They would stop for a minute and say "we don't see anything." And they would leave.

Take binoculars if you have them.

Your question is very broad and style specific.

If you are leaving in 5-8 weeks reservations fill up.

If it is a year then you have plenty of time.

I have all my reservations made and some paid for 8 months ahead.

Good luck. It should be a blast with three teenagers for grandma to keep up with! Kids add life to the group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suggest using Tripadvisor to check out the tours. There can be hundreds of reviews for every possible tour. You can also book tours there at a more reasonable price.

The excursion that I loved in Grand Cayman is the sting ray city and swimming with the dolphins excursion. I think your young adult kids would love it!!

As for things that are must brings: hats, sunscreen, a case of bottled water to keep in the room (just put your room number on it), books for reading by the pool, camera and memory cards, sunglasses, a beach bag for excursions to the beach, some treats for the room (aka candy), address book for writing some postcards, sandals and running shoes.

You are not very likely to encounter high seas in the Caribbean, but if you go on a boat excursion or take a ferry, seasickness could ensue. So I would bring some Bonine (available over the counter) just in case someone gets seasick.

Haiti -this is RCCL's private island, Labadee. They will have various beach day type activities. For the adults, it is very nice to rent an over the water cabana. The kids can use this as "home base" and the adults can relax and hang out.

Jamaica - tubing on the White River is a great excursion here for all ages. It is mostly gentle, with a few natural chutes to make it a little exciting. The water is clean and clear. it's similar to tubing on the Guadalupe River in Texas, if you have ever done that minus the snakes.

Grand Cayman - Stingray City (this is tender port usually, so this would be a good day to take Bonine with breakfast.)

Cozumel - we love making this a beach day. I would suggest you all go to Playa Mia as there is plenty to do there for all ages.

http://www.playamia.com

Alternatively you might enjoy Mr. Sanchos:

http://www.mrsanchos.com

I would avoid any Cozumel excursions that require transit by ferry. It is a rough choppy seasick ride and hacks 40+ minutes off your excursion at each end before you even get to you land transportation for the excursion. But if you decide to do an excursion by ferry, make sure everyone takes Bonine that morning to prevent seasickness (if you are not using other anti-seasickness medicine) as the ferry ride typically includes lots of seasick passengers.

Haiti, Jamaica , Grand Caymen, Cozumel.....we are open for most activities but will need some non physical things for Granny...

Haiti- I'm guessing you'll be at Labadee? That's RCL's private island. It's pretty much a beach day. Great place for snorkeling too. There's a market place nearby where you can buy locally made items, as well as the usual assortment of "souvenirs" made in Mexico or China.

Jamaica? Where? As others have said, pick up a travel guide for information, or go to Trip Advisor dot com.

Grand Cayman - Stingray city excursion is a lot of fun. if you go, be sure to take a waterproof camera. It's a great photo op.

Cozumel - So many good excursions there. It just depends on what interests you most. On our last visit, we went to Paradise Beach and had a great day there. Read about it on Trip Advisor.

As far as "must haves", it kind of depends on each person. Definitely bring any prescription or non prescription meds that you might need. I second bringing plenty of sun block, and a hat to protect your head and face from sunburn. Also, if you haven't already done so, spend some time reading through some of the posts on the RCL board. You're bound to pick up lots of helpful information on there. And, look for any videos posted on youtube for Freedom of the Seas.

Hope you all have a wonderful cruise! :)

Edited by beachbum53

About 90% of the THINGS you will be told you MUST have aren't needed at all.

Essentials

Yourself and travel mates

Documents

Clothes.

Some money is always nice, cash or card.

A camera if you want photographic memories.

Medications, prescription and OTC, costly in many ports or on the ship. Also toiletries.

Binoculars can be handy, but your camera may fit the bill.

Hats sunscreen and pest spray are again items you may need that will cost if you don't have them.

I always take a book, but you may not be a reader.

Comfortable footwear (a must).

For longer cruises laundry detergent as the stuff most ships supply play up with our skin, may not effect you.

Have a few cruises with three adults in a cabin and have always had plenty of space for all Mrs and Miss Gut's make up junk, never need over door shoe things or magnetic wall hooks or pop up hampers or any of the 1000s of other items that actually take up space.

I noticed that everyone mentions sun block, which is very wise advice. I suggest bringing something to treat sun burn. Someone is likely to get a little crispy no matter how hard they try to avoid it.

Edited by ansoninc

You are not very likely to encounter high seas in the Caribbean, but if you go on a boat excursion or take a ferry, seasickness could ensue. So I would bring some Bonine (available over the counter) just in case someone gets seasick.

Haiti -this is RCCL's private island, Labadee. They will have various beach day type activities. For the adults, it is very nice to rent an over the water cabana. The kids can use this as "home base" and the adults can relax and hang out.

Jamaica - tubing on the White River is a great excursion here for all ages. It is mostly gentle, with a few natural chutes to make it a little exciting. The water is clean and clear. it's similar to tubing on the Guadalupe River in Texas, if you have ever done that minus the snakes.

Grand Cayman - Stingray City (this is tender port usually, so this would be a good day to take Bonine with breakfast.)

Cozumel - we love making this a beach day. I would suggest you all go to Playa Mia as there is plenty to do there for all ages.

http://www.playamia.com

Alternatively you might enjoy Mr. Sanchos:

http://www.mrsanchos.com

I would avoid any Cozumel excursions that require transit by ferry. It is a rough choppy seasick ride and hacks 40+ minutes off your excursion at each end before you even get to you land transportation for the excursion. But if you decide to do an excursion by ferry, make sure everyone takes Bonine that morning to prevent seasickness (if you are not using other anti-seasickness medicine) as the ferry ride typically includes lots of seasick passengers.

Thank you for the wonderful links...this was the first i had heard of Mr. Sanchos. Have you visited both venues?

My #1 rule on cruises, we take a cheap, Dollar Store, collapsible hamper for dirty clothes. It fits flat in the bottom of almost any luggage. When 'anyone' takes off something that is dirty and not going to be worn again it gets folded and put in the hamper. When it is time to pack to go home - which NO ONE wants to do, first take all of those dirty clothes and put them in the bottom of one suitcase and then collapse the hamper on top of it. You now have packed all of those dirty clothes AND separated them so that when you get home you can dump them right back in the hamper!

#2 The next thing we ALWAYS pack is at least one power strip, never enough places to plug things in for us. Ipads, curling iron, hair dryer, I like my own, charge camera, my husband's mobility scooter, FRS radios (if you have them), Kindle, etc.

#3 Medication

#4 Copies of your passports & ID to keep in the safe, always have in case of an emergency!

#5 Leave your expensive jewelry at home, not worth the risk of something happening to it. Buy fake! Sad but true!

#6 Get onboard - unpack and have a GREAT TIME!!!:D:D

My #1 rule on cruises, we take a cheap, Dollar Store, collapsible hamper for dirty clothes. It fits flat in the bottom of almost any luggage. When 'anyone' takes off something that is dirty and not going to be worn again it gets folded and put in the hamper. When it is time to pack to go home - which NO ONE wants to do, first take all of those dirty clothes and put them in the bottom of one suitcase and then collapse the hamper on top of it. You now have packed all of those dirty clothes AND separated them so that when you get home you can dump them right back in the hamper!

#2 The next thing we ALWAYS pack is at least one power strip, never enough places to plug things in for us. Ipads, curling iron, hair dryer, I like my own, charge camera, my husband's mobility scooter, FRS radios (if you have them), Kindle, etc.

#3 Medication

#4 Copies of your passports & ID to keep in the safe, always have in case of an emergency!

#5 Leave your expensive jewelry at home, not worth the risk of something happening to it. Buy fake! Sad but true!

#6 Get onboard - unpack and have a GREAT TIME!!!:D:D

Some ships don't allow power strips.

We don't take a hamper, just use one suitcase for dirty gear.

Always take Mrs Gut's good jewellery but then it's not expensive anyway.

In Grand Cayman, best thing we did was take a private excursion instead of one through the boat. Off the tender, it was about a 5 minute walk. From there the 5 of us had a private tour of the area, we snorkeled on a boat with about 10 other people and went to stingray city in that same boat...compared to the 100+ people we saw on the cruises official excursion. Then after snorkeling they took us to see the turtles before dropping us off back at port. Cheaper and more personal and definitely recommended.