Sugar Free / Gluten Free

Stingrae

Hi All,

I am REALLY looking forward to my cruise in October, however I'm really worried about eating. Due to some conditions I'm currently dealing with (Candida being one), in order to not be completely miserable, my diet consists of no processed foods whatsoever, no sugar, no flour, no cheese, limited fruits, etc. Is there anyone else that must eat like this and if so, how did you survive on the cruise?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Laura

OMG..that's a toughie...what in the world DO you eat at home??? Surviving on a cruise...I don't know how you're surviving at home!

Call your cruise line's "special needs" dept....they will do everything in their power to accommodate your needs...but they MUST know in advance, so don't wait until you're on the ship!

OMG..that's a toughie...what in the world DO you eat at home??? Surviving on a cruise...I don't know how you're surviving at home!

Call your cruise line's "special needs" dept....they will do everything in their power to accommodate your needs...but they MUST know in advance, so don't wait until you're on the ship!

I know right?! Needless to say, I eat a lot of veggies and smoothies with very little fruit, almonds, and lean meats.

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely contact the cruise line.

I think you'll be amazed at how they will cater to your needs!

I wonder if I asked for King Crab Legs at every meal, how well that would go over!! All I need is a little bit of butter... and I'm good to go!! :)

• 1 month later...
I'm in the same situation.. I have to follow that diet with endometriosis. Have you talked to the cruise line?

I did email Carnival and here was their response:

"We have noted your reservation, we will be able to accommodate you with foods with no sugar, flour, cheese, dairy, corn and potatoes. However, most of our meats are pre-marinated, but you can have our wild caught fish and produce.

Once you get onboard please speak to the Maitre'd and we will further assist you with meal preparations and with the lemon water."

I typically drink a smoothie either for breakfast or lunch that consists of plant-based protein powder, a shot of apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, almond milk, chia seeds, and a few frozen strawberries. I'm just going to bring my protein powder and I'm betting that they have all the rest of these ingredients - maybe not the chia seeds, but that will be okay. I also drink at least one glass of lemon water a day (natural detox).

I'm not too keen on fish, so I will probably go ahead and eat some of the meats on the menu. Marinades shouldn't bother me and I can't imagine there's too many bad things in it (except sugar?).

I can't wait to try Guy's Burger Joint. I will just have to ask them to serve it without a bun and double check what seasonings they use in the meat.

I have looked at the ship's menus and it looks like there's something I can have at every meal in the dining room. Bumming that they don't offer King Crab Legs!! They have shrimp, so I may be able to order plain grilled shrimp?

Salad dressings might be an issue, so I'll probably stick more with steamed veggies.

My bigger concern is when we're off the ship. I think I will just bulk up in the morning on eggs and then check with the Maitre'd to see if I can take a cup of almonds with me to snack on during the day.

Well, I feel for you, as I know how difficult such a restricted diet is, especially on trips like this. I would say if you have an even more specific dietary need, go ahead and email Carnival.

Happy Sailing!

• 3 weeks later...

So, as if it wasn't going to be difficult enough eating on the ship... I just had an allergic reaction last week and have found out that I'm now allergic to seafood and shellfish!!

I've decided that food is overrated and I will have a positive attitude towards this new development. As I will be spending less time eating, that frees me up for more drinking!

I could be wrong but I doubt they will be able to make that type of smoothie. I also doubt they will use any ingredient you provide.

I'm going to bring most of the ingredients for my smoothies with me. I'm sure they will have frozen strawberries or blackberries on board - and a blender. I will check with their customer care to see if they will use the ingredients that I bring.

I'm just going to have to visit the kitchen as soon as I get on board to make arrangements. It'll all work out - it will just be a project in the beginning.

Edited by Stingrae

• 6 months later...
I'm going to bring most of the ingredients for my smoothies with me. I'm sure they will have frozen strawberries or blackberries on board - and a blender. I will check with their customer care to see if they will use the ingredients that I bring.

I'm just going to have to visit the kitchen as soon as I get on board to make arrangements. It'll all work out - it will just be a project in the beginning.

Did you bring the blender for your smoothies? how did that go over?

I did email Carnival and here was their response:

"We have noted your reservation, we will be able to accommodate you with foods with no sugar, flour, cheese, dairy, corn and potatoes. However, most of our meats are pre-marinated, but you can have our wild caught fish and produce.

Once you get onboard please speak to the Maitre'd and we will further assist you with meal preparations and with the lemon water."

I typically drink a smoothie either for breakfast or lunch that consists of plant-based protein powder, a shot of apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, almond milk, chia seeds, and a few frozen strawberries. I'm just going to bring my protein powder and I'm betting that they have all the rest of these ingredients - maybe not the chia seeds, but that will be okay. I also drink at least one glass of lemon water a day (natural detox).

I'm not too keen on fish, so I will probably go ahead and eat some of the meats on the menu. Marinades shouldn't bother me and I can't imagine there's too many bad things in it (except sugar?).

I can't wait to try Guy's Burger Joint. I will just have to ask them to serve it without a bun and double check what seasonings they use in the meat.

I have looked at the ship's menus and it looks like there's something I can have at every meal in the dining room. Bumming that they don't offer King Crab Legs!! They have shrimp, so I may be able to order plain grilled shrimp?

Salad dressings might be an issue, so I'll probably stick more with steamed veggies.

My bigger concern is when we're off the ship. I think I will just bulk up in the morning on eggs and then check with the Maitre'd to see if I can take a cup of almonds with me to snack on during the day.

Well, I feel for you, as I know how difficult such a restricted diet is, especially on trips like this. I would say if you have an even more specific dietary need, go ahead and email Carnival.

Happy Sailing!

Many ports will not allow food to be taken off ship. Check before you do so!

Did you bring the blender for your smoothies? how did that go over?

I did not bring a blender. It turned out that I really didn't eat much. I never went to breakfast (which is when I would have asked them to do my smoothie for me), except the last day. They make omelets to order, so I got that, without cheese. They worked with me great for dinners. They even made me my own salad dressing. The dinners were good, but they didn't give you much food overall. Guy's Burgers, you can request a gluten-free bun and there are some other things you can get during the day that are gluten-free, if that's what you need.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

I am REALLY looking forward to my cruise in October, however I'm really worried about eating. Due to some conditions I'm currently dealing with (Candida being one), in order to not be completely miserable, my diet consists of no processed foods whatsoever, no sugar, no flour, no cheese, limited fruits, etc. Is there anyone else that must eat like this and if so, how did you survive on the cruise?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Laura

I am not nearly as restricted as you, but am limited to gluten free with really bad consequences if I get "gluten poisoning". I have sailed on several different ocean and river cruise lines with mostly good success at staying healthy. Just a few thoughts on what it may take to be sure you are O.K. on your cruise.

Do be sure to contact the cruise line in advance , then meet with the lead chef as soon as you are onboard, then meet with the restaurant manager, and every night talk with the Maitre'D for your dining section. Even after you order for the first few days ask questions about whether the foods you have ordered contain any of the items that you cannot have. Ask enough questions to be sure that everyone who has any responsibility for what you are served knows and truly understands your needs.

Be diligent and don't be afraid to offend or be thought of as too pushy or demanding. If any staff member is not responsive to your questions talk to someone in higher authority immediately.

My husband continues to remind me to push the issue if I am the least bit uncertain, and to remember that I am the one who will suffer if I am served the wrong food.

I also avoid any buffets and eat in the MDR for all meals but breakfast. At breakfast I don't select food from the buffet, but have a made-to-order omelet with gluten free toast that has been toasted in a toaster dedicated to gluten free items.

In all but two cases out of many cruises I have found the staff to be extremely protective of me and my food issues. Once the kitchen staff knows about my needs I usually get special dishes that other diners envy.

I am not nearly as restricted as you, but am limited to gluten free with really bad consequences if I get "gluten poisoning". I have sailed on several different ocean and river cruise lines with mostly good success at staying healthy. Just a few thoughts on what it may take to be sure you are O.K. on your cruise.

Do be sure to contact the cruise line in advance , then meet with the lead chef as soon as you are onboard, then meet with the restaurant manager, and every night talk with the Maitre'D for your dining section. Even after you order for the first few days ask questions about whether the foods you have ordered contain any of the items that you cannot have. Ask enough questions to be sure that everyone who has any responsibility for what you are served knows and truly understands your needs.

Be diligent and don't be afraid to offend or be thought of as too pushy or demanding. If any staff member is not responsive to your questions talk to someone in higher authority immediately.

My husband continues to remind me to push the issue if I am the least bit uncertain, and to remember that I am the one who will suffer if I am served the wrong food.

I also avoid any buffets and eat in the MDR for all meals but breakfast. At breakfast I don't select food from the buffet, but have a made-to-order omelet with gluten free toast that has been toasted in a toaster dedicated to gluten free items.

In all but two cases out of many cruises I have found the staff to be extremely protective of me and my food issues. Once the kitchen staff knows about my needs I usually get special dishes that other diners envy.

Thanks for the info! We will be cruising next year for our 30th anniversary and I plan on asking for special dishes at every meal. I too, found that they are very accommodating. I should have asked for more, but I was trying to not be a pain in the butt! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Just be a nice pain in the butt :) It sucks when you're on a limited diet, and especially when it's more than one thing.

One thing to note, a lot of the waiters are well versed on gluten now, but sometimes a little less so on other things. My sister is gluten free, but she was also dairy free for two years, and when we went on a cruise during that time (RCCL) they were great with gluten, but did not always understand "dairy" (you'd be surprised, people thinking eggs are dairy, or that sherbet is not dairy, etc)

I'm not sure how Carnival works for dining, but if they have traditional dining, definitely do that because the waiter will get to know you. It seemed like they discovered more extras as the cruise went on. Also, not having to go through the "what I can't eat" list every night was definitely nice.