2004 SUMMITEERS - The Sequel

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:54 PM.
NW Ohio
8,330 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

So glad that you weathered the storm without incident. How did Stacy and the girls do? How about your son in Orlando?

How did your office building fare?

Our friends in The Villages fared very well. Not even palm fronds down. I asked them to drive around a bit and see if that was true for the other neighborhoods. Just couldn't believe the whole area got by unscathed as the hurricane, even weakened, passed over. Well, he was surprised by what they saw. A big sinkhole in one yard and a whole tree down in another. He sent me photos, and the best one was of a golf cart stranded in about 3 feet of standing water. A lot of the people there get around by golf carts, and not just for golf. They do their shopping, go to restaurants, appts, etc. But, there are a lot of roundabouts in The Villages, and where there is a roundabout, the golf carts have to detour to a tunnel to cross under the road and come back up on the other side. Well, the tunnels flooded with the rain from Irma but the roads were quickly dry, so the first one to approach the tunnel...Yikes! I wonder how many people did that, as there are several of those tunnels throughout The Villages.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what Royal substitutes for those islands.

Becki
USA
1,402 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Jill, Glad you fared well. Will be interesting to see what ports you hit on your cruise and what they look like.

We got a lot of beach erosion. I believe they said because of the two hurricane. Even tho we were not hit, the surf was a churning.
the surfers were out in full force. but with those rip currents they need a new brain. Guess it is the only time when you can catch a decent wave.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Girl Forever
Willow Glen Ca.
4,058 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
..Good Evening, Summiteers...Jill and Gary, thank you for letting us know you are All right.....My baby brother and little sister rode it out to. Brother got more of it, but sister saw some winds and rain too...I really feel for all the eastern islands that got slammed by Irma....I've heard that St. Thomas, St. Maarten and San Juan just got pounded...The Keys look the worse....Our prayers and thoughts go out to all those poor people...Looks like we will have to go Western or Southern for awhile...It won't be for to long, those folks down there know how to bounce back...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Paradise 3-99...Celebrity Summit 4-04..[/color][/b] Celebrity Mercury 4.05... [/color]NCL Pride of America 5-06 Hawaii...RCCL Monarch of the Seas 10-07... [/size]..Royal Liberty of the Seas 4/08......Star Princess 9-09 Alaska./B][/color].. Celebrity Constellation..3-11..Southern Caribbean..Celebrity Millennium..5-12 Pacific Coast Wine Cruise...Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Carib. 1-13.....Celebrity Silhouette...10-13..Med. Cruise..[color=indigo]Legend of the Seas..Southern Carib.2-15....Taking a TA on the " Big Silly"..4-16..Oasis of the Seas...4-17.Celebrity Reflection..11-17 Going South Again!!
NW Ohio
8,330 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Beau, glad to hear your family is also ok. The pastor with whom we went to Israel has his church in Jacksonville, so I saw his posts on whether he was going to have church on Sunday.
Yes, the islands do bounce back quickly and they need those tourist dollars this time of year. I just wonder how much aid the U.S. can commit to Puerto Rico and St. Thomas what with Texas and Florida's needs. I saw that France immediately sent aid to St Martin.

Becki
Florida
3,466 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Both the kids came out of it just fine, with only a few minor problems. Stacy said they all stayed in Makenzie and Malia's room thru out the storm. Malia who will be 2 in December spent the entire time just talking away to herself and counting up to 3. It must have been very cute.

Work was interesting yesterday. We only saw 8 people all day and one was a walk in. Got the elevator working before lunch. Hard to tell how many will show today with lots still out of power and they have no phones. We got very lucky.

Beau, glad your family got thru it ok also.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,330 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

You must be relieved that all your family was also safe. Malia sounds very zen.

How were your patients reacting after the hurricane? Do they seem anxious or distressed, or are they taking it in stride? Any idea when you will get your power Back?

Becki
Florida
3,466 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Most of our patients are very cool. A lot came in even though they don't have power at home or worse yet....internet!!...

We have had some that went into the hospital because of the heat or heart issues. One of my co workers didn't come in because she was hit by another car and had to go to the hospital. Drivers down here are so crazy and will run you over just to get into another lane. She will be ok, but her car was totaled.

Still trying to book our February cruise. Last Friday AAA closed early. Hopefully it will get booked soon before all the cheap cabins are gone.

We never lost power, but my doctor, who lives a few blocks down the street is still without power. Everyone should have it back by next Friday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,330 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

Sounds like you have a great group of patients. Nice.

Too bad about your co-worker and her car. I know what you mean about the drivers, but I just chalked it up to their all being from the north. 😁 Up here, and especially around SE Michigan, don't even think about putting your turn signal on when you want to change lanes. That just encourages drivers to speed up and block you from getting over.

Hope you can get your cruise booked soon.

Becki
Florida
3,466 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Becki....Are you all packed yet?

It will be interesting to see where we finally end up by the time our cruise gets here. Just want to get on the ship, the rest is just extra.

Many people I work with are still without power. I couldn't imagine living in 90 plus heat without air food other than crackers and McDonalds. Even McDonalds had a limited menu.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jill
NW Ohio
8,330 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Jill,

I am working on my packing.

The Elbe River in Germany is subject to low water levels and since Europe has had a hot summer, the levels have been low. There is a website to check and it has indicated that every cruise in September was subject to being affected. Don't know if they actually were. It just says passengers will be contacted individually if needed. Aargh!

It's terrible that people in FL had to deal with Irma and now no power in that heat. Awful!

Becki