Wedding Dreams Begins-a pre cruise wedding journal

Bestdayever

Most people write reviews on the actual day of their wedding. While I love reading those, I also enjoy reading the pre-trip or the planning journals. I can imagine that most brides have a lot of pre-planning for their special day. While most is probably enjoyable, I will bet that there is a lot that is not. I am sure most brides have some sort of wedding drama. So this is why I decided to start a wedding diary of sorts. Somewhere I can jot down my notes of wedding planning. I am hoping that this will help a lot of people that are considering doing a cruise wedding.

First let me start by saying that I am not getting married. I have been married for 32 years. This is a wedding diary for my only daughter that will be getting married in the spring of 2015. Also I just want everyone to know that my daughter left a lot of the planning to me. She had 100 % say in everything but there were a lot of things that she just wanted me to do.

The day that started the planning: It was August of 2013 and HE ( the groom to be) proposed to my daughter. SHE was ecstatic. She had visions of a Barn wedding. The planning started. Calling venue after venue trying to find a barn rental that would not break her parent’s bank. The plan was to be married in the fall of 2014. At this time my daughter had thought of a destination wedding, but she really wanted her grandparents ( my parents) to attend. My mother is not a traveler and would no way travel overseas. So this is why she picked to have a traditional wedding.

We gave my daughter a budget. This was to include the venue, catering and the drinks ( beer and wine). My daughter had her bridal party all picked out. She sent them all " Will you be my bridesmaid" gifts in the mail. There would be a maid of honor, a matron of honor, 2 bridesmaids and a jr. bridesmaid and a flower girl. The matron of honor was in her second year of residency (becoming a doctor) and had to have at least 12 months notice to request the time off. After grueling internet surfing and venue visits, my daughter finally found a venue. We had to find a venue that would hold 250 people and be no more than $2000.00. This was very hard to find. While it was not a barn, it was an outdoor venue that had a barn on the grounds. She picked the date which would be in September. She let all the wedding party know the date and after all OK’d it…the date was set. Now at this point I had not seen the venue. That would be because I live 400 miles from where my daughter lives. The contract was signed and deposits paid.

Next up was trying to find a caterer. We found a couple that seemed reasonable enough, but to get a taste testing was months away. Most were booked till the first of the year for taste testings. She scheduled a day in January for a taste testing with a few caterers.

A theme was established. Silver and yellow were the colors. Sunflowers were the flowers. Reception decorations were bought and made. Endless hours of crafts going on. Engagement photo’s were taken. The dress was found and purchased. The flower girl dress was bought. Save the date cards were ordered. Wedding favors bought and made. Bridal party gifts were bought and made. We were way ahead of schedule and feeling pretty good.

The holidays came and went. In January the caterer was booked and deposits paid. The bridal shower was booked and planned. Bridal party favors were bought and made. The Bachelorette party was planned and a date set. Remember…we had to give the matron of honor 12 months notice for any dates.

In March, I went to visit my daughter. We were to visit the venue so I could get an idea for things. After the visit, I had a couple of questions about :

What if it rains? This venue had a pavilion and a large wedding tent. Did the tent have sides to it if it was cold or rainy?

My daughter called the venue on Monday after my visit. And asked my questions. The lady in charge of the venue replied YOU do realize that if on Thursday or Friday ( the week of the wedding) there is rain in the forcast…you can not hold the wedding here. You need a back up plan“ :eek: . I believe my daughter had a BRIDEZILLA moment. Luckily I was not near hear at that time. :D Their reasoning was liability. The tent may collapse from too much water. Seriously!!!! This place has weddings and events every weekend during the summer and fall months. Who in their right mind would rent this place knowing that they may not be able to hold their event here if there would be RAIN in the forecast. There was no way I was going to rent two venues. The worst part of this whole thing was the fact that it was HARD to find a venue a year out. Most places were already booked.

Edited by Bestdayever

Now we are in Spring of 2014 trying to find a venue for the same exact date (remember her matron of honor had to have 12 months notice). The worst part of all is the venue would not give the deposit back when we cancelled.

My daughter frantically tried to find a venue. Miraculously, she found a BARN for the exact date. The only problem with this new venue was (and it was a little more expensive) that it only had two porta potties. Two porta potties for 250 guest would not work.

I told my daughter that I would rent the porta potties that were like actual bathrooms. This would cost an extra $600.00. Her fiance’s mother kind of threw a fit about the bathroom situation. Her mother is in a wheelchair and she was adamant that she would not be able to use the restroom facilities that I offered to rent. My daughter called to check on a price of a handicap porta potty. I offered to pay the extra $250.00 rental fee for that. The mother in law to be still refused, saying it would be impossible.

So that is how I became on the cruise critic wedding and honeymoon forum. My daughter said “ The heck with this. I am doing a destination wedding”. She contacted all the wedding party. They were all on board with this. We did realize that this would put a lot of cost to the people that would come to this. That was the hard part of deciding to do a destination wedding. Also there would be a lot of people that would not come. The only thing that was very upsetting to my daughter was the grandparents would not be able to attend.

April, May of 2014 was then used to scour the internet for destination weddings. My daughter would not be able to married in 2014 ( remember she needed to give the matron of honor 1 year notice) so she was looking at 2015 dates. She checked into all inclusive packages and cruises. My daughter had been on a few cruises and really enjoyed them. The cruises seemed less expensive for the guests than an all inclusive package.

She talked this over with her fiancé. He was on board. She asked him about dates. Especially for the groomsmen. He said that any date would work. His brother was the best man who is a teacher. She was leaning towards May. Would this work for the brother. The fiancé said that would be fine. She didn’t want to have the wedding in the summer, more for cost concerns.She talked to all her bridal party. They were all on board. So my daughter picked the date. Please note that her matron of honor was asked” If you can’t go I will fully understand. It is a lot to ask and a lot of money. But if you don’t think this will work for you please let me know. I will not be mad at all”

We had been speaking with a travel agent for the cruise bookings, not the wedding part. My daughter picked the ship and the date. We got the group pricing. The travel agent set up a group cruise. She let us know about the deposits and balance due dates.

My daughter designed the invitations. Now originally 250 guest were to be invited to the wedding. The destination wedding, she had about 50 invited. Mostly family, wedding party and a few close friends. We knew that realistically we would have close to 30.

So the invitations were mailed. The date was set in stone. Next wedding drama : fiance’s brother will not take time off work to go. Why didn’t you pick a summer date. Why didn’t the fiancé call the brother to make sure. :mad: The invites were already sent. It was to late. Some people had already paid their deposits. You can’t change the date again.

The fiancé was fine with his brother not attending. The fiance’s mother was not. She was not happy about a cruise. Was not happy that a lot of family would not be attending. She was just plain not happy about it. I give a lot of credit to my daughter. She would call future mother in law “ we just want to thank you for supporting us on our decision for our wedding. Thank you so much” . She did this over and over. My daughter wanted to plan an outdoor reception bbq for the summer after the wedding. She asked her future mother in law if she would help. My daughter thought that if she kept repeating how they were so thankful for the support and gave her something to plan ( the bbq) that maybe she would come on board with the whole thing. BINGO!!!!!! It worked. The future mother in law is now ecstatic to be planning the at home reception. And she is now excited about the wedding. :D

Then came time for the next drama :

Matron of honor calls and said that she is unable to go. She doesn’t have the money. My daughter was not mad that she can’t go. She was VERY upset with the fact that she had given her an OUT numerous times. Telling her that she would understand if she wasn’t able to go. My daughter set the date around the matron of honor that would now not be able to attend. There were a few people not attending the wedding because of it being in May. But we couldn’t change the date. You just have to roll with the punches.

Now it is time to start the cruise wedding planning. I am sure this is what everyone on this board is looking forward to. The real reason why everyone is on the Weddings and honeymoon cruise forum J.

Now time to start planning the cruise wedding. My daughter wanted me to call Carnival to find out about the weddings. I called and spoke to someone right away. They gave me lots of good information. Cost of the wedding, cost of a reception and what not. My daughter really wanted to be married on an island. With the cost of a Carnival wedding, transporting the guest to the wedding site, transporting guest back to the boat and what not…..the price was getting a little too expensive. My daughter checked into not having a Carnival wedding but work with someone on an island. This was expensive also . I kept mentioning to get married in the states and do a mock wedding on board. This was not appealing to my daughter. My sister in law is able to marry people in Florida. So the next plan was….have my daughters aunt marry them on Carnival’s private island. She would actually do the ceremony while we were in Miami…none of the guest would know that ( but it would then be official) . She would then do the wedding ceremony either on Carnivals private island or on the boat. This would save a few thousand dollars.

I called the Carnival Wedding department to ask if that was possible. They said yes. You may do whatever you would like while on the private island. The only problem would be if the boat could not tender in. I then asked if we were able to find an out of the way place on the boat to do the ceremony. She said that was fine. She even said that if the weather was bad, I could go to guest services and they would find a room for us. So my daughter liked that plan.

We board the ship on a Saturday. The private island is on Sunday. The Wedding will be in the morning. The reception at 3:00 on the boat. I paid for the 1.5 hour reception in full. In order to do this, you must have a cabin number. We also booked the DJ, which then automatically gives you the night club for the reception venue. It is my understanding the night club holds 200 people.

We can at any time change the length of the reception. We are leaning towards 2 hours after reading about other receptions. I don’t feel the 1.5 hours is long enough. The 1.5 hour reception is $750.00 for the first 20 people and $30.00 per person after that. I believe the 2 hour is $125.00 more and $40.00 per person over 20 people. It includes hot and cold hors d’oeuvres and an open bar ( no shots) and a wedding cake. I feel that is very reasonable. As of right now, we have 28 guests booked. I have called and emailed the wedding department numerous times. I have always got an answer and a return email from them very quickly. I can’t say enough nice things about them. Especially when they know we are not booking a wedding through them.

So we had the reception booked, the DJ booked and the group cruise booked. The dress was already bought. We needed to look into real touch flowers, march in music, my daughter would like the paper parasails to stick in the sand for a runway, favors ( we are saving the other favors for the back home reception), welcome bags, new bridesmaids gifts, wedding cake topper ( since most people on these boards say the one that Carnival provides is cheap), wedding cake table decorations. We decided not to decorate the guest tables at the reception. The night club tables are little round tables that hold maybe 4 people. We thought we might just buy a few Fish Nets and put some shells on them for the tables. Not sure yet. We may just leave them the way they are.

All the decorations and favors that I bought and made for the at home wedding will be saved for the BBQ. My daughter decided to the color theme for the cruise wedding. She is now doing grey and pink. The bridesmaids dresses are grey ( which were already bought) and she will accessorize with pink.

So this is now June. Everything seemed to fall into place. My daughter had received back all the RSVP's for the wedding. As of right now there are 28 people booked.

There were a few family members that my daughter was hoping to attend that will not be able to. We kind of knew this going into it. Hopefully they will be able to attend the at home reception.

We ordered totes made out of coffee burlap bags for the bridesmaids. They are adorable. They have a palm tree on them with Half Moon Cay wrote on the bottom. On the back are my daughter's first initial with her fiance's first initial and the date of the wedding. I am hoping that once we get the 10 post we can start posting pictures.

I have ordered coasters and napkins for the reception. This is not something that had to be done but we thought it would be nice. They have starfish on them with my daughter and her fiances name and the date of the wedding. I can't wait to see how they have turned out.

The cake topper was made. My daughter wanted their last name Letter...I dusted with sand on one spot and put a shell and starfish on it. Very simple looking but should add a little to the cake.

I have been picking up stuff for the welcome bags all summer. Chap stick, anti bacterial soap, shower gel, sunscreen,decks of cards, compact mirrors, bandaids, antibiotic cream, asprin,little sewing kits, candy.

The welcome bags are being made by me. I am making tote bags. Cute anchor print on outside and striped on the inside. They will be reversible.

Sorry I am posting little replies right now. Trying to get enough to post pictures.

We are planning on buying plastic travel mugs for everyone to put in the welcome bags. I have a silhouette cutting machine, so I will put vinyl lettering on them. I am leaning towards " Best day ever". We also are buying tank tops for all the girls. Trying to find a good saying to put on them. My daughter at this time is leaning towards a starfish on the front with Starfish wishes and the date of the wedding on the back. If anyone has a cute saying we would love to know.

We want to do starfish bottle openers with koozies for the wedding favors. There are so many places to get koozies it is mind boggling. Especially when you don't know the quality of them. Trying to find ones that looks nice but don't cost a fortune. If anyone has purchased koozies that are nice please let us know from where.

For the bridesmaids, as of right now, they are getting the bags, beach towels, make up bags, tank top, earings and bracelets for the wedding,all the stuff that are going in the welcome bags and flip flops.

Thank you...that is very sweet of you to say that. She tells me all the time how much she appreciates me. I am very proud to know that I have raised a very NICE daughter...she is so not unappreciative. I can't wait to be able to post some pictures

We have made a list of all the "to do list" that is really necessary. It seems to me that a cruise wedding is so much less stressful than a traditional. I know there is some stress.....how many more are coming that did not RSVP....will it rain....trying to get on the first tender (we did purchase faster to the fun) but will the rest of the group make the wedding in time....and things like that. We are all pretty easy going people and will just go with whatever life brings.

I think the most exciting part of this is the planning. I am like that with all my vacations...the planning up until you leave is the fun part. That anticipation. I love making crafts. I sit and think of what else I can make for the welcome bags. I did have an old coffee sack that I made little bags out of. Bags small enough to put like chap stick or some thing in. I love doing stuff like that.

I think my favorite item I made was for the at home wedding. I made a card box out of wood..painted it...made a small frame to set on top that said "thank you". Painted words on the top. I think I put " ever love story is beautiful buy ours is my favorite".

I think this will be my last post before I can post pictures...::D.

I will tell you a little of our pre trip plans. Me and my husband along with our two friends will be making the 24 hour drive to Miami. We plan to arrive Friday by noon My daughter and her fiancé will also be driving because of all the stuff we are bringing. My two sons and their girlfriends will be flying in on Friday. My understanding is that it is cheaper to fly into ft lauderdale than Miami...so I am not sure yet whether we will be staying in ft lauderdale or Miami for the night. If we stay in Miami I will have to figure a way to get the boys down to Miami...if we stay in ft lauderdale and try to find a hotel that has the cruise parking..I will have to find a way for all of us to get to Maine. Since i am paying for everyone's rooms...I am trying to find the most cost effective way. Still not sure yet on that one

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Not a lot of planning going on. We did order the travel mugs last week. Once they come in we will use the silhoutte cutting machine with vinyl and put something on them. My daughter hasn't decided yet.

We ordered the wedding favors also last week. Starfish bottle openers and starfish wine bottle toppers.

I did order napkins and coaster and are still waiting for those to arrive.

Our first real deposit on the cabins is due at the end of the month. When we booked we only had to put a $25.00 deposit down at the time. I did pay for my daughters and her fiance's full deposit already. In order to book the reception we had to have a cabin number and in order to have a cabin number you have to have your full deposit paid. Me and my husbands full deposits are paid also. I wanted to book the faster to the fun so again had to have a cabin number. I still have to pay my two sons deposits.

Earlier this week, I kept looking at the welcome tote bags I made. I just wasn't feeling it. I really wanted LARGE tote bags and these ended up being smaller than I wanted...so I ended up ordering more material and making LARGE tote bags. I have most of them done. I think they turned out really cute. I decided to go with starfish instead of the anchors. Now I have 7 anchor bags that I will not need :(. I think to much. Earlier this summer we had ordered these really cut bags that are made out of old coffee sacks. They have a palm tree screen printed on the front with Half Moon Cay. On the back are my daughter and her fiance's initial's with their wedding date. These bags are for the wedding party. I will have to post a picture of these.

We still have a few things on the list to accomplish but I think we are doing a great job being ahead of most of the list.