Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old May 6th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What insurance covers missing due to work?

I am worried that I might have to cancel an upcoming cruise not due to illness, but rather because I have to work that week. (Another co-worker will be out on maternity leave.)

Is there a product that covers this? And how would I prove it, a note from my boss?

Victory 8/5

SS France 1965
SS France 1969
Cunnard PrincessÂ*1986
FascinationÂ*April 5 2004
VictoryÂ*August 5 2004

Old May 6th, 2004, 08:57 AM
10,000+ Club

You would need a policy that covers "trip cancellation." Check out www.insuremytrip.com

If my employer required me to cancel a planned and paid-for vacation, they would have to reimburse me for any out-of-pocket loss.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!

And then:
Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:26 AM
5,000+ Club

If you don't already have the trip cancellation insurance then you could be getting into a sticky situation.

I see you leave in 91 days. If the only reason you would be buying the insurance now is because you know you're going to cancel, that MAY BE considered insurance fraud. You probably wouldn't get caught, but if you did you're looking at more than just the loss of the cruise costs.

I would find it hard to believe that a reasonable employeer wouldn't understand the financial hit you'd take if you couldn't take your hard earned vacation that is already paid for.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

It might be extremely difficult to find trip cancellation insurance that would cover the peril of not being able to get time of work. It is primarily intended for illnesses, deaths, airline or cruise bankruptcy, etc. In my experience working for a state Department of Insurance, I have never come across one that covers not being able to get off work.

Kathy

05/30/04 Carnival Pride cruise & the wraparound balcony

06/28/04 Ecstasy-
Mom's 80th birthday surprise!!

Ecstasy 09/13/02
Ecstasy 05/26/03

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

klfrodo, i don't know that I will be asked to work, i sincerely hope and believe that I won't. But we are short one person, and if an emergency comes up ...

Victory 8/5

SS France 1965
SS France 1969
Cunnard PrincessÂ*1986
FascinationÂ*April 5 2004
VictoryÂ*August 5 2004

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM
10,000+ Club

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrinaLC:
if an emergency comes up ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's NOT your problem. I'm assuming you went through the proper channels at your place of employment, and this vacation had all of the requisite approvals before you even booked it.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:
Shhhh, it's a surprise!

And then:
Carnival Spirit 12/10/05 Mexican Riviera

Perhaps something else as well. Watch this space.

Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when somebody's watching.

Old May 6th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know what line of work you're in, but can't they hire a temp. for 1 week????

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kajsb: I have never come across one that covers not being able to get off work.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing that even comes close is Travel Guard's Cruise, Tour and Travel Plan that will cover up to $250 in cancellation penalties if you have to cancel for ANY reason.

If you're on a shorter cruise and cancel at least seven days prior to sailing that will probably cover the penalties in effect at that time. On a longer cruise it will cover part of them.

However, to get this benefit you have to buy the plan within 7 days of the date you made the initial deposit on the cruise. From your post it sounds like you may be past that. Otherwise, as a rule no policy will cover this type of circumstances for employees.

For business owners it can be a different matter. For example, with Travelex if a business partner becomes ill and you have to stay home to run the business because of that you will be covered since they lump business partners into the same classification as family members.

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Daughter works for WAl-Mart and personell manager told her she would have to change her vacation. That was Monday of this week and we are sailing May 15. She told the manager she booked this trip in January was told she could have the time off and unless they paid for the price of the cruise there was no way she was cancelling. They told her they have no one to cover her department so she told them that was a management problem. She is a sales clerk. She is coming on vacation with us and if they fire her when we get back so be it. Our insurance will not reimburse us because it not a covered item.

Old May 6th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Crazy

I doubt they'll fire her. My parents bought all of their kids and grandkids a trip to St. John a few years ago. It took ALOT of planning coordinating 4 couples and 9 kids schedules, but we finally did it. My brother in law was a manager for K-mart at the time. They fired his boss, and told him he'd have to cover the store until they found a new GM. He told them, "no". No arguing, no excuses or long-winded explanations, just "no". (They had already done the exact same thing two years prior when 20+ of us were going to Disney and he backed down. Sure enough, there was someone there from another store EVERY DAY so he could've come with us!) He left for vacation, had a great time and when he got back, it was never even mentioned!!

Fascination 03 2003
Monarch of the Seas 09 1995