Luggage Shipping?

HapiFeet

Has anyone ever used a luggage shipping service internationally? We have different weight restrictions on British Airways (32 kg) and Alitalia (20 kg). We'll be gone for most of September for time in Rome pre-cruise, a 12-day cruise and then 6 days in Venice. We want to bring our shake mix and plastic blender to save calories and money (we just lost a bunch of weight and now fit into our clothes again. We will also be bringing 2 cameras (not tiny ones) and lenses, laptop, chargers, clothes steamer, etc. We can't use hotel shampoo, etc. because of my allergies, so we also have to bring our shampoo, soap, lotion. And then there's the formal clothes for the cruise, tour books and hubby's shoes. It all starts adding up. Alitalia charges 5E/kg overweight.

I looked into an excess baggage shipping service at London Heathrow, but it won't make it to our hotel before the cruise.

The cost of shipping internationally is quite high - We have found that paying for overweight or an extra piece of luggage is more reasonable (especially since we only fly one way - US to Europe so our luggage weights and overweight charges are based on the fees here). There is also sometimes extra charges for customs on top of the shipping fees and there could be delays. It also takes longer for you to send your luggage.

If you are talking about an electric blender -- try picking up a cocktail shaker for use instead. Easily found at restaurant supply houses, or even online. There are even plastic ones that are quite lightweight. If you have a number of "chargers" you are taking, look into the IGo series of power supplies. From one brick, you can charge your laptop and a secondary device at the same time, through the use of interchangeable "tips". My IGo can charge laptop, phone, PDA and MP3 players, and works on 110 or 220 current. As for tour books -- no need for the whole book on Italy - just photocopy the pages needed, or better yet, scan into your laptop. Or cut out the pages you want and leave the rest of the book behind.

Other weight saving ideas: purchase all possible liquids at your destination. Amazing how much liquids weigh. Cut the number of changes of clothing through the use of quick-drying clothes which will dry overnight. Wear your bulkiest/heaviest shoes, coats and the like, packing the light stuff.

Try FedEx,but it will cost,,not as much as some of the service's though from what I understand (also DHL),but it sounds like you are bringing a whole lot of stuff you may not need and I really would rethink packing,and make it a whole lot lighter.If you are allowed 2 suitcases a piece plus your carry-ons you may make it even with the weight limit.FlyerTaker gave you some great advice as well as paying for extra luggage charge as opposed to shipping extra pieces.Travel clothes(easy care and lightweight) and reduced shoes will help..as for formal nights a suit andlighter dressy clothes will do.It is very hard to travel these days,and the lighter the better.We have cruised and spent a week on either end in cities and done it with formal clothes etc.but we have lightened the load with a small camera,no computer,no books etc.and it has worked for us.I am not the person to tell anyone how to pack,but I have seen traveler's so loaded down with luggage that it has been such a hassle for them,and I was thinking it could not be worth it in the end.The old saying saying holds especially for today...Lay out all your stuff..pack only half and then take double the amount of money...:D .

I have shipped internationally many times. First of all, you will need Custom's documents for both shipping to and shipping back. You will need a full inventory of everything in each bag, and all must be attached to each bag individually. You cannot lock bags at all, not even the TSA locks as the foreign Customs officials will be opening and inspecting your bags and their contents. Depending on what country you're shipping to, they could charge you duty, even on your own clothing. As for cost, I shipped two bags from Wisconsin to Copenhagen and the charge for two 45lb bags was $410 per bag, one way only including minimal insurance---this was shipping independently via DHL and Fed Ex----I don't use a shipping company anymore as they are more expensive than doing it myself. The price was similar for shipping to London and Rome. Also, you cannot ship to most mass market cruise lines, so you'll have to ship to a hotel and you must contact the hotel you use because many of them won't accept shipped luggage for security reasons. I've not had any problems shipping things other than clothing---things such as cosmetics and shampoo was accepted. I know you cannot ship any food items including your shake mixes or liquids such as bottled water to any foreign country. You also don't want to put your cameras or any valuables into the shipped bags.

And, on most non US airlines, you are allowed only one carry on, and if you have a purse, that counts as your one carry on. You will need to either have a very large purse or a rolling carry on, minus your purse, to fly on carriers such as BA or Virgin, Air France and Alitalia.

Most non-US airlines flying transatlantics allow the US restrictions of one carryon and a small accessory(purse, laptop, camera, etc). I have been checking into that as we are flying Air France to Venice for our Med cruise. We are allowed 2 checked bags and one carryon and one small accessory bag. Bags over 50 lbs. will be charged $50 US and an extra bag $150 US.

It typically costs much more to ship your luggage than to pay the additional cost. Most people who ship the luggage do it not to save money but to minimize the amount of luggage they will bring with them.

I'm not sure your particulars. If you can book say a US Based carrier and then on the same ticket include say the BA portion you can usually get the same baggage allowance consistent with the US carrier rules. So, you might want to see if that is an option. But, the carry on rules will still apply. So, for example on some flights your carry on can only contain one item and so a purse needs to fit in the carry on. And in certain airports like in London the size of the carry on is more restrictive then say in another European airport.

We were on a recent World Cruise and some folks mailed back an average size box via DHL and UPS. I want to say the cost ranged from around $250.00 to $300.00 depending on value of contents, etc. Of course this varies by country as some countries add on a tax which can be quite high.

Keith

Just put all the "stuff"-blender, shampoo, clothes steamer, and some clothes in a BOX and send it to your hotel. Make sure the pre cruise hotel will accept the box and that you have the correct address and zip. A 50 pound box can be sent via USPS express (air) for about $175.00. Or send it ground (30 day delivery) for about $75.00.

Or you can use DHL, UPS or FedEx and pay about $300.00 for the same 50# box.

Most of the stuff you are taking that is "extra" is disposable. You will be using it up as you go along, so don't have to worry about paying to ship it home. Take an extra, folding duffel type bag for extras on the way home. OR ship the stuff you don't need back home from Venice.

The European postal system is very good. I am in the global logistics business and often use the Postal System on an Express basis. I have less trouble with the postal system than with DHL, UPS or FedEx on a Europe to USA non perishable shipment. As Keith 1010 posted, list all the contents of the box and MAKE SURE you put down "personal items-USED clothing". Otherwise, you MAY be charged customs duties-someone thinks they are NEW clothes you purchased on vacation.

When I wanted to ship my bags to Argentina for a South America cruise, I was told by the hotel I was shipping to that I could get charged as much as $1500 per bag for Customs duty, for my own clothing, regardless if it's old or used. That's the one thing you have to be careful of---that you're not shipping to a country that will tax you on your personal belongings.

The reason I mentioned the one carry on limit, with a purse being considered

the one carry on, is if the OP is doing any intra European flights. Then those one carry on restrictions are enforced. You can carry one extra small carry on, such as a camera bag or purse on a US to Europe flight, but if you have a connecting flight within Europe, you're going to be restricted to the one item.

Thank you, everyone, for the helpful information. I have already checked with the hotel about shipping to them. I may not need to do that with all the tips everyone has given. Alitalia will not honor British Airways luggage allowances (I've called both airlines) so I will work out a way to minimize and just pay for the rest. For the shakes, a cocktail shaker won't work because we need to chop ice and fruit along with the shake mix. The IGo sounds like a great idea, and I just watched a Rick Steves program where he suggested tearing out pages from the travel books.

I did some further checking on the weight restrictions. Since we'll be starting on BA with a limit of 32kg and 1 carry-on (has to include purse/laptop - size restriction only) and then to Alitalia with a limit of 20kg and 2 carry-ons (5kg plus a purse/briefcase - size restriction only), we'll just split up our carry-ons at LHR.

As far as prices, USPS seems to have the best prices. Fedex, UPS, etc. are extremely high. So it looks like I'm packing lighter and possibly buying some things in Rome.

Happy travels!

• 1 month later...
For the shakes, a cocktail shaker won't work because we need to chop ice and fruit along with the shake mix. I'm packing lighter and possibly buying some things in Rome.

Happy travels!

Have you ever seen the bullet blender advertised on TV. You can blend right into your glass (there is a ring you attach where you nornally screw it onto the belnder after you are done blending.)

Yeah - I know you are saying it is one of those TV things. BUT THEY WORK GREAT. Better than my high $$$ kitchenaid blender and as good as any bartenders blender. They chop ice and fruit wonderfully. The motor is so powerful. Of course you can only make a glass at a time, but the benefit is the base is about 3 inches high and about the diameter of a large mug. You have the two plastic glasses. Much smaller and lighter than a real blender. I can't comment on the knockoffs, but we got ours for Christmas and it works great. Smoothies, margaritias, blended coffee drinks!

Archived