HELP!! Oasis of the sea's WEDDING

Hi there,

i was looking to get some information regarding weddings on the Oasis of the seas, wondering if anyone has gotten married on this ship that could offer me some advice or tips, or have gone to a wedding on this boat/a boat. i wanna know if it was difficult to plan or how smooth the process was and if you would recommend a port wedding or an on ship wedding. Also wondering about receptions, looking to have something formal afterwards supper followed by speeches and a dance the traditional wedding stuff. Also looking at how much $ its going to run me. Any info would be great :):):):):):)

• 4 weeks later...

My hubby to be and I are getting married on the Oasis on 11.05.2017 out of Port Canaveral. We are getting married on Embarkation day so that our family who want to be there but cannot sail can be with us.

There is not a lot of information out there about RCCL weddings so it's been a rough start. :( I just have my save the dates sent out. Other than that I'm still researching how everything is going to work!

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!:D

• 6 months later...
My hubby to be and I are getting married on the Oasis on 11.05.2017 out of Port Canaveral. We are getting married on Embarkation day so that our family who want to be there but cannot sail can be with us.

There is not a lot of information out there about RCCL weddings so it's been a rough start. :( I just have my save the dates sent out. Other than that I'm still researching how everything is going to work!

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!:D

Congratulations to you both ladies!

Im also getting married on the Oasis! MI need is November 12!! The cruise right after yours Katie 😄😄😄 I'm just getting started and am having conflicts of just doing the simple ceremony(800) and dishing out for the big one (3300). I'm honestly thinking about just having someone broadcast it on Facebook fto go the cheaper route 😂😂😂

First off, Congratulations! I did a cruise wedding last year, and remember having all the same questions :-). I'll leave the ship specific stuff to others on this thread, but I can help out with the general planning questions.

Difficulty of planning:

There are a few different ways to book a cruise wedding. One is through the designated 3rd party of the Cruise. For Royal Caribbean it's Royal Weddings. This is NOT Royal Caribbean. They have a few tiers of packages and you pick the one you like, and add on from there. The upside is that there are coordinators that pretty much take care of everything. You pick the kind of cake, photography package, flowers, etc. The down side is that some of these companies have a reputation of being difficult to work with. Generally, they just get all your choices right before you sail, and of course as a bride you're planning way out from there. I'd call and see how you feel about working with them as you get more information on the process from them.

The alternative is to book your wedding as a corporate event through the cruise group booking department. You get a price sheet of all the things you want to do and just book it. Nothing is packaged. This means more planning and effort on your part, and creates some limitations. No onboard wedding. You have to get married in port (there are 3rd party companies that specialize in this and will do packages on the island). No decorations at the reception (if you do it on board). Up side is you can bring your own photographer, have more control over the ceremony location, and do some fun events. This is how we did our wedding and we had options like: private welcome wine tasting. Reserved area and games on Princess Cay (Princess equivalent for Labadee). Tiki party on board with a set menu/happy hour. We also were able to book any area in port we wanted for the ceremony.

Receptions: If you do the package, the reception will be included. I believe you can extend the time. We did dinner in the main dinning room on formal night (same night as our wedding), and then paid for an open bar, champagne, and the wedding cake in a bar/lounge area. This lounge had a band, who played songs for us and our area was roped off. We also had dedicated waiters. For the booze it was 13.10 (includes tax) per hour per person. The cake was 120 (sent them a pinterest photo and they recreated it). Dinner was included in the cruise fare. I've also seen where you can book private dinning in the upscale restaurants, you can have an area with your own dance floor, do custom printed menus, have a dedicated DJ, projection equipment for photos, etc. The more private you want the event, the more expensive it will be. This is where I'd weigh the package vs booking it as an event directly. The package may be the better option for a more traditional wedding reception.

Price: It can really range. If you do the package, the cost will vary depending on if you get married on board vs in port, which port, what upgrades you add, etc. Once you pick everything out you'll have a price for the wedding, but keep in mind rings, excursions, tuxes, the dress will all be on top of that. Also, you may find you want to buy more prints/photos when you're on board after you've viewed them. In general though, it will be much cheaper than a traditional wedding. There are also ways to save money. For example, I booked when they had a free drink package. That package included 40% off bottles of wine under 100 dollars during dinner. We used that discount to buy the wine and champagne for our guests during our dinning on our wedding day.

Feel free to send me an email if you have more questions! sailsandveils@gmail.com I know it's a lot :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I had my wedding on the Oasis last July. My wedding cordinator was horrible. She would never contacted me and told me things that were not true. She never communicated with the people on the ship who would help set up my wedding. I had no flowers, my wedding song was wrong and my cake design was messed up. Everything was horrible. A few months ago when I tried to enlarge a photo from my package and it was very blury. I contacted Royal Caribbean about it and I was sent the back ups. And my photographer no longer works with the company. So now I can only have 4x6s for all my photos that I paid $1500 for! Do not have a cruise ship wedding. They are horrible! We left from Fort Lauderdale. I paid about $8000 and did not except to have everything go wrong.

Hi there,

i was looking to get some information regarding weddings on the Oasis of the seas, wondering if anyone has gotten married on this ship that could offer me some advice or tips, or have gone to a wedding on this boat/a boat. i wanna know if it was difficult to plan or how smooth the process was and if you would recommend a port wedding or an on ship wedding. Also wondering about receptions, looking to have something formal afterwards supper followed by speeches and a dance the traditional wedding stuff. Also looking at how much $ its going to run me. Any info would be great :):):):):):)

Here is my post from after the wedding last year. Sorry it's long but it's very informative.

I did a cruise ship wedding on the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas last July. It was a BIG mistake. Before planning I did check the Cruise Ship Critic webpage and saw many bad experiences but we still wanted to do it. At first we had a wedding planner who helped us picked things out that we wanted such as the room, food and other packages that were available. She said that she would need to talk to me a few months before the wedding. So she did things on her end and I kept planning. About 5 months out from the wedding, I emailed her with some questions I had. I received emailed back right away saying this email address no longer exists. I sent a few more but got the same response. So then I tried the 800 number and told them what was happening. They informed me that she no longer worked for Royal Caribbean and I got a new wedding planner. It would have be nice to been told that! The second coordinator would not email me back. I sent over questions and it was three weeks later for a response on every email. She told me a lot of things that was not correct. I filled out my Bridal Informative packet and that was suppose to have how many were attending the ceremony, how many guest were sailing with us, pre ceremony breakfast foods, the main dinner, the drinks, the flowers and the option for pictures. I filled everything out an faxed it to her. For my favors I was going to do a little sailboat candle that had the “love boat” written on it. My planner told me since the candle would not be lit and it was going to be in a gift bag that it would be fine to use. The Monday before the wedding I was on the Royal Caribbean website under items that are not allowed and sure enough candles were on there. I immediately called her and told her what I found. She gave the response to “Well I guess they aren’t allowed then.” I had to go out and buy all new favors at the store since shipping was not an option. The week of the wedding I had questions that were still unanswered so I called her number at Royal Caribbean with her extension. Then she has the nerve to put "phone calls are by appointments only" on her next email. Also the week of the wedding I totally forget to give flower arrangements to the moms. So I call her again and she said it was fine. She order me red roses that matched the boutonneers of the men. If she would just answer her emails people wouldn’t have to call and track her down. Then the wedding came and I really wish it didn’t because everything was a disaster. When we arrived we were greeted by two Royal Caribbean people. One took the guest who were sailing and the other took the non-sailing guest. After security and checkin we were waiting in the terminal. We were waiting for awhile because six people did not get off the ship yet. I saw a box on the seat that said Flowers. I peaked in and only say a bouquet of flowers for me and my husband. I asked the lady if the ones for my bridesmaid, groomsmen and flower girls were in the cabins that we were changing in? She said this was the only flower order she received from my planner. I immediately broke down. Good thing I had my papers with me! I showed her where I ordered flowers in red. She called some people and told me there was nothing that could be done. My brother (the best man) asked if there was a Publix nearby he could go get some. Luckily she let him but it was a while before he go back with the security and all the other people trying to board. Once we finally got onboard, I went to my stateroom with the bridesmaids. While I was up there my mother called me and told me that the cake was not designed the way I was told it could be. All I wanted was the ribbon, the color of the bridesmaids dresses, on the bottom of the cake. Also they didn’t know about my cake topper. My mom was helping the lady set the cake and make a favor table because she didn’t know I was bringing favors either. The pre-ceremony food was cut short because they had to make up time from the six people who were still on the ship. Then the wedding started and I came down. The ceremony was lovely. For our first dance the DJ started to play other songs and cut it off quickly while trying to find our wedding song so we were just standing there awkwardly until we heard our song start to play. Then we ate. The food was good but the bride party was rushed to take group pictures around the ship. When we came back we did toasts and cake. Then it was over. We said goodbye to our guest who were not sailing and then did a check of the room. Then we went to our staterooms. After dinner we had a one hour picture time to get shots of just my husband and I. About the third day the photographer gave us a CD of all the pictures, edited. Just this week I went to Walgreens to get some group shots enlarged to an 8x10. They came back completely blurry. I showed my brother-n-law and he look at the properties of the photos on the computer. The photos I received on the disk were LESS than a megapixel. This mean I could only get 4x6’s without the picture becoming blurry! I paid for the most expensive photo package and was received crap! I wrote an email to Royal Caribbean and waiting back.

Update on my photos: I can only get 4x6s with all my photos. This is very upsetting.

• 2 weeks later...

My fiance and I just completed a trip that we should have had our ceremony on. Royal Ocean Events, your land coordinator, gave the ship the wrong wedding date. We set sail with our guests and met our ship coordinators. The ship was given a completely different date from our contracted wedding date. Our ceremony never happened due to three other events already scheduled on our date. We and our guests are out of pocket for our expenses. They won't reimburse us for our expenses. DO NOT DO IT! Cancel your booking and plan something else.

My fiance and I just completed a trip that we should have had our ceremony on. Royal Ocean Events, your land coordinator, gave the ship the wrong wedding date. We set sail with our guests and met our ship coordinators. The ship was given a completely different date from our contracted wedding date. Our ceremony never happened due to three other events already scheduled on our date. We and our guests are out of pocket for our expenses. They won't reimburse us for our expenses. DO NOT DO IT! Cancel your booking and plan something else.

That is absolutely insane. Did you pay via credit card? If so, call them and have them reverse the charges for non-delivery of agreed upon services.

Did the ship try and offer to do your wedding on an alternative day/the wrong day ROE sent over?

As important as a wedding is and as much as everyone wants them to be perfect, wouldn't it be better to do it on land first - maybe the day before the cruise. And then just get on the cruise and do the celebrating and fun part. When I read about the people having the ceremony in a port, what do they do if the port gets skipped for some reason?

Without the control and certainty, it would be scary.

That is absolutely insane. Did you pay via credit card? If so, call them and have them reverse the charges for non-delivery of agreed upon services.

Did the ship try and offer to do your wedding on an alternative day/the wrong day ROE sent over?

They offered the last day of the cruise. Who wants to have a wedding, reception and and then pack to leave the ship. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. It's not only the $$ for the booking, but expenes for dresses, tuxes, flowers, party favors from us and guests. They barely gave us an apology.

I am so sorry! I have been dealing with the executive office of Royal Caribbean and they haven't been much help. Unfortunately they are the highest so I don't know what to do next. They should reimburse you! I would send an email to the executive office so they see how many weddings they are ruining.

As important as a wedding is and as much as everyone wants them to be perfect, wouldn't it be better to do it on land first - maybe the day before the cruise. And then just get on the cruise and do the celebrating and fun part. When I read about the people having the ceremony in a port, what do they do if the port gets skipped for some reason?

Without the control and certainty, it would be scary.

You can't control everything on land either. My friends wedding venue burned down 3 weeks before her wedding. Another was unable to reach the venue (nor were any of her guests or the vendors ) due to historic flooding.

Ports can be managed by picking those that don't require a tinder. If the ship is actually able to dock, the guests will be allowed off. Similarly, you can pick ports that have calmer waters (inside passage of Alaska is almost like a river cruise).

That being said, with any kind of destination wedding you will inherently have less control than a local one. You're just not there to do many of the things that need to be done in advance, and are thus relying on planners and vendors.

Of course. You should expect your contract to be executed as planned. This situation isn't an unlucky act of nature. It's breach of contract.

Edited by SailsandVeils

They offered the last day of the cruise. Who wants to have a wedding, reception and and then pack to leave the ship. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. It's not only the $$ for the booking, but expenes for dresses, tuxes, flowers, party favors from us and guests. They barely gave us an apology.

I'd definitely contact the cc company, hit everyone them and royal up on social media (may get a better response), and discuss with a lawyer :-/. Sometimes even a letter can get a company to do the right thing, once it's on a lawyers letter head. I'm not a litigious person by any means, but it seems that they aren't giving you any other options

Since RC ruined my photos, the only thing they will give me is a free photo session for when I sail with them again. My family is not going to retail with them after everything that happened. They are horrible!

I'd definitely contact the cc company, hit everyone them and royal up on social media (may get a better response), and discuss with a lawyer :-/. Sometimes even a letter can get a company to do the right thing, once it's on a lawyers letter head. I'm not a litigious person by any means, but it seems that they aren't giving you any other options