Oceania Embarkation

mphsp

We are leaving on our first cruise in a week on the Riviera. Our embarkation time is at noon. We would like to know how crowded it will be and how long is the boarding process. Should we show up at noon, before noon, or later? We don't want to stand in a long line in the heat.

It will depend on the port & how many others show up at the same time

With only 1250 people it probably would not be too long of a wait

we usually enjoy the city then head to the ship about 1:30pm

YMMV

The port is Barcelona and we are arriving there 2 days prior to departure. We are anxious to board and explore the ship but don't want to wait in long lines if we are standing out in the heat. Just wondering how long the process takes

Perhaps the real question is what cabin level you are in. Are you in a PH or above? In that case, the lines shouldn't be long.

We have checked in at Barcelona with an 11am time (but we probably got there around noon) and rarely had lines. If you are in a veranda cabin or below, there COULD be a longer line. BUT if lines are short in the "suite" level (and you aren't in a suite) they will wave people forward.

To be safe, you could do a city tour in the morning and get there a bit later. If you want to have lunch on the ship you should be on board by (I think) 3pm to be safe. Terrace used to close at 3pm but lately it has seemed to us that it was open until 4pm. But don't take my word for it!

We've never had a long wait when arriving around 11-12, but we're usually in a PH. As I said, those lines are shorter.

When we've showed up at the ship after 3pm, it was always VERY quick. But hard to predict when you arrive at noon ...

There is so much to see in Barcelona that we often show up later at the ship so as to see more of the city ...

Perhaps I should also say that I have very rarely seen really long lines at check-in, no matter when we showed up.

Mura

The port is Barcelona and we are arriving there 2 days prior to departure. We are anxious to board and explore the ship but don't want to wait in long lines if we are standing out in the heat. Just wondering how long the process takes

This is always an awkward subject to address, partly because Oceania actually sells "early embarkation" as one of the benefits of staying in a Suite.

In Europe, they do try to accommodate those who are arriving at the ship directly from a transatlantic flight, recognizing that they will be tired, but I think that it is safe to say, without fear of successful contradiction, that EVERYONE will be "anxious to board and explore the ship".

I'd suggest that you arrive at your appointed hour, the waits are never anything like the mass market Lines. :D

Your individual documents State your assigned boarding time. If you show up at your assigned boarding time, your wait will probably be very brief. If you insist upon showing up prior to that time a guess on the extent of the wait will be that, merely a guess.

Enjoy Barcelona, and show up at or after your assigned time. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the ship during your cruise.

Here's s plan for you. In the incredible occurrence that you are bored with Barcelona, line up a day tour down to the spectacular wine area of Priorat. You'll be wonderfully entertained until time to get to the ship.

We have a May 2018 cruise that also begins in Barcelona. We are arriving 3 days early. Any hotel suggestions? TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have an extra few hours and don't rush...You can grab a train,easily,and go to Sant Sadurni to Cordoniu winery.Cava at its best.Originated from a family who made champagne and took the same principles to Spain 150 years ago,to develop the best cava.You can pre book if you wish,either a tour and tasting or an included brunch.Only €22.

Barcelona is hot,sticky and busy during August.Graffitti and smelly down side streets.Be very pick pocket aware.It is everywhere and very professional.

Do find an original tapas bar and enjoy the food and drink.I assume you have a week on the ship,minimum,so enjoy Barcelona...

Just be aware that things can - and do - go wrong with embarkation. I've had 2 cruises with Oceania so far and been in OV cabins both times. The first I got straight on the ship no waiting. The second, the ship had been delayed getting into port and we had a two hour wait to board. As the other posters suggested, make the most of the morning and get to the ship when you're ready.

To answer the hotel question - we stayed at the Hotel DO Plaça Reial in Barcelona, in the old town and a really really nice hotel with great staff. A few minutes from la Rambla but far quieter.

Boarding - there seem to be 3 lines - Gold for Owners, Vista and Oceania plus (I think?) PH suites. Silver for the "Concierge class" and then a line for the others. People standing in the Gold line are taken first at the desks. Then as desks free up the Concierge class and finally the others.

We have a May 2018 cruise that also begins in Barcelona. We are arriving 3 days early. Any hotel suggestions? TIA!

We have been staying at the PULITZER in Barcelona 4 years ago and that's where we are going to stay for 2 nights prior to leaving for the Sept 8th cruise on Riviera.

Very clean, nice staff, good price for Barcelona, superb location in the center of the city enabling you to just visit everything, good breakfast.

TS is concerned about a long line in the heat. Barcelona has security and check in inside in air conditioning, doesn't it? I remember having seating available as well. If so then not much risk if you come at the appointed time.

Yes, both docks (for O class and for R) have inside check in and seating. As well if one needs personal help they will be attended to.

Arriving at the appointed time to minimize waiting is good advice. First cruise we arrived at the World Trade Centre pier around 2 pm (why hurry when there is so much local flavour to enjoy even after many visits to BCN, etc) and there was us two and a lot of staff. We were very well welcomed with personal VIP service being the only pax checking in.

Yes, both docks (for O class and for R) have inside check in and seating. As well if one needs personal help they will be attended to.

Arriving at the appointed time to minimize waiting is good advice. First cruise we arrived at the World Trade Centre pier around 2 pm (why hurry when there is so much local flavour to enjoy even after many visits to BCN, etc) and there was us two and a lot of staff. We were very well welcomed with personal VIP service being the only pax checking in.

Agree.

A great tapas lunch in Barcelona beats the turkey in Terrace any day for us :D

Only long line I ever saw was due to immigration control and outside of Oceania's control. Show up after 1:30 and it won't be a problem. You avoid all those people that fly in the morning of the cruise, go straight to the ship, and sit. You also miss all those that insist upon showing up at 10:00 even though their documents say 13:00!

When I board the Riviera in Barcelona on Oct. 25 I don't plan to board until 5:00pm. I will be on an all day tour to Montserrat wit ha drop off at the ship. We don't sail until 11:00pm so I assume late boarding will be accommodated, with at least one person at the check in desk.

BTW, does O allow you to take your luggage to your room yourself? I have a dinner reservation for Red Ginger that night at 6:30 and don't want to be waiting for the luggage to be delivered to the cabin so I can change from my day touring clothes to dinner ones. I am physically capable of handling my rolling duffle bag and carryon myself.

All luggage and carry ons must go through X-ray inspection before coming aboard. The ship machine ,where you personally board, is not full sized and primarily for hand held luggage. It may or may not be large enough for your luggage. That will be the determining factor.

Greetings from South Beach, CruisingIGo. Our favorite hotel in Barcelona is Hotel Colon, Av. de la Catedral 7. 08002 Barcelona, Spain. Phone +34 933 011 404. We love the location. It is central, within walking distance of Las Ramblas and many other sites. Beware pickpockets. They are a municipal plague.

Mary

If you want to save a little money, the Regencia Colon is right in back of the "real" Colon. Our room was unusually large for Europe and the service was great. It's not a fancy hotel but a good deal for the money. And the same great location.

We've also stayed at the Europark (more expensive and the location wasn't so great for us although it's a convenient 10 minute walk to Sagrada Familia) and the two Continental hotels on either side of Plaza Catalanya. The cheaper one is below the Plaza and I imagine today people staying there are having trouble getting in and out of the area (or even to their hotel) because of today's terror attack.

The Hotel Continental Barcelona has (at least it did in 2005) a large backpacker contingent. It's on an upper floor of an office building on Las Ramblas. The Continental Palacete is a bit fancier. Both have 24 hour food available although at the cheaper hotel it's more snacks.

Mura

Not so surprising. I was trying to book the Regencia Colon some months ago, but it was just too early. I was able to book a room a few months later for this November. Meanwhile I also have a room at the Europark for the same two nights ... clearly I'll have to cancel one of these!

But it's true that many hotels book up very early!

Thanks everyone for the hotel suggestions. Surprisingly, some are already sold out for May 2018.

Did you contact the hotel directly?

Some online booking sites do not show some openings until 6 -9 mths out

Keep checking or email the hotel directly

All luggage and carry ons must go through X-ray inspection before coming aboard. The ship machine ,where you personally board, is not full sized and primarily for hand held luggage. It may or may not be large enough for your luggage. That will be the determining factor.

Hmm. Maybe I'll put a change of clothes in the carryon so if the luggage doesn't make it to the cabin before dinner I can still change out of my touring clothes and into nicer dinner duds.