Reduced Deposit

dave_k58

we just cruised to Alaska, where deposits are normally $400 per person. looking at two people, insurance and tips, it would have been more that $1000 to book our cruise. By booking during a sale, we saved $400 taht we could spread out a bit farther then paying it up front. same with the Horizon cruise we just booked. its just nice not having to pay so much all at once.

I don't get it either. BUT, some, claim putting up more money is a 'hardship, or they don't have it to do. I see far bigger problems with this "reason".

It "sounds" good. The other marketing, it may promote with the payment on "time" and those small amounts somehow don't add up to totals, "I only paid" $100/month. I see the same skewed thinking on NCL and marketing's in genius upgrade bidding. Here people months/years prior, booked a cruise at what they could afford at the time. Already a stretch for some. Then months later they get the invitation to upgrade- wow, they "only" had to pay $400 more a person and got ABC,. Sometimes the whole picture isn't added up to actual costs. It's easier to tell yourself in smaller amount.

I do not know what this is like. I admit. But, I just look at bottom line on price, only. Just booked a cruise last night for Monday. Easy for me to do and didn't bat an eye. No thought into it except cost, and how I was getting there and getting it booked.

I booked a January 2019 cruise because of reduced deposits. It's a 13 night cruise so normally it would be a hefty deposit. Putting down only $200 per person and then finally payment isn't due until October 2018. While not a sale, it is a deal because I don't have $1200 tied up for a year and a half.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Why put out a full deposit if there's no benefit at all? It's like buying/leasing a car. Why pay $3000 down, if you could just roll it in the payment? (assuming you have perfect credit).

To me, It's not stupid at all. And if you decide to cancel before Final Payment with ES, you're not dinged as bad.

Princess, HAL, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity (occasionally), etc all offer this.

Oh please give me a huge break with all the name calling. There is nothing stupid about booking with a reduced deposit. In fact, if you are going to book early saver anyway, which is the only rate that offers reduced deposits, it's much smarter to do so with a lower deposit then to tie up anywhere from $150-$250 per person for a cruise that's far off. Anything could happen and Carnival forever has every dime of your deposit less $50 each if you nred to make changs or cancel. Unless I'm using a rate other than early saver, I will NEVER opt to drop the normal deposit for my family of 4 on any cruise. :rolleyes:

As far as why they call it a sale, that's simply a marketing tactic to draw your attention. Every other business does the exact same thing. My agent refers to them as promotions, which is what I call it myself. Don't over think it.

That's the ONLY reason I booked my cruise. I couldn't afford the regular deposit for 2 people when I booked as Christmas time was slowly approaching and my cruisemates wanted to book ASAP to get the cabin(s) we wanted.

I am all for reduced deposits but please note that you will not get a price drop if the price of the cruise goes down until you have paid the full deposit!

Unless the price drop concurs while another reduced deposit promo is running.

What word would you have them use instead?

"Reduced deposit event" just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taking a cue from Toyota, Red Lobster and Autonation.

48 Hour DEPOSATHON! Weekend Reduced DEPOSIFEST! Deposit PayCation

You're right. They just don't have the same ring.

Why does Carnival keep referring to " reduced deposit", " half price deposit" etc as " sales"

It is a successful way for Carnival to increase bookings without discounting. That's the bottom line. I think it has something to do with the customer base Carnival appeals to. And it is successful in increasing bookings. It isn't a good deal for potential customers with considerable disposable income, but it does appeal to customers whose budget is on the edge.

What about a 4th of july sale ? They arent selling forth of july's that week. Presidents day sale ? You actually give them your dead presidents for their goods, totally misleading. I would think i could get some 20s for like ten bucks or so. And Garage sales rarely ever include the actual garage. And dont forget the ever so tempting Going out of business sales , everything must go. Umm, isnt everything inside a store already for sale already and it must go to make a profit ? Save up to 10% or more. Well is it up to or more, confusing once again ?

People hear "on sale" or "for sale" and automatically think reduction in cost. Not always true.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oh please give me a huge break with all the name calling. There is nothing stupid about booking with a reduced deposit. In fact, if you are going to book early saver anyway, which is the only rate that offers reduced deposits, it's much smarter to do so with a lower deposit then to tie up anywhere from $150-$250 per person for a cruise that's far off. Anything could happen and Carnival forever has every dime of your deposit less $50 each if you nred to make changs or cancel. Unless I'm using a rate other than early saver, I will NEVER opt to drop the normal deposit for my family of 4 on any cruise. :rolleyes:

As far as why they call it a sale, that's simply a marketing tactic to draw your attention. Every other business does the exact same thing. My agent refers to them as promotions, which is what I call it myself. Don't over think it.

Thank you! I booked with early saver and reduced deposit because the price was less. So if I have to cancel I am only out $98 and I can make sure everything lines up for a cruise that isn't for another year or even longer!

love how the posts makes it seem if you pay a reduced deposit you cant afford to be cruising!