A Royal newbie reports on Vision Cruise (photo review)

Fantastic cabins. I'll be posting lots of pics as soon as DH uploads them from his camera.

I see you were drinking Angry Orchard! Iv never seen them on any ship before. Where they available at every bar? They are my favorite!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Continuing on our tour of the ship, on Deck 6 we walked through the Centrum shops area which wasn't open yet as we were still in port. Did browse the shops later in the week but didn't buy much - usual souvenirs, jewelry, watches, etc. (now if they had a Kate Spade store, that would have been a different story :)).

P1100048.jpg

I did like the way they were laid out though - you didn't have to walk through them all the time to get around the ship. (I'm recalling the bracelets frenzies on some X cruises).

P1100047.jpg

P1100049.jpg

P1100050.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Other amenities on Deck 6 included the Photo Gallery (the "old-fashioned kind" where the photos are all displayed on the slat walls):

P1100041.jpg

P1100042.jpg

Ben & Jerry's & Caffe Lattetudes were nearby:

P1100044.jpg

There are also 2 banks of computers available for guests.

P1100035.jpg

I was very pleased with the ease of access to the WIFI onboard. I used my iPhone to locate the Royal WIFI, created an account, redeemed my one hour of free internet (for Diamonds) and that was it! Easy to log in and out whenever needed - even checking emails daily (once or twice) I didn't exceed the 60 minutes of free time. It was much simpler than our past experiences on Celebrity when a visit to the computer lounge was required (that may have changed now.....)

Edited by librarylady19

SANDI,

like you, I was a staunch Celebrity fan, and still cruise with them. However for several reasons I decided to branch out. After a rocky start w/ RCI about 12 years ago, I gave RCI another try 2 or 3 years ago, and I'm so glad I did. I find in many ways (maybe not food) it compares very favorably with Celebrity and in some categories (especially entertainment) exceeds what I've been experiencing on Celebrity lately. I was also pleasantly surprised by the ships themselves and the level of service.

It appears you are also glad you took the ROYAL PLUNGE. I've followed your reviews on the =X= board and likewise will be following this one.

The Schooner Bar was on Deck 6, just off the central elevator banks. We didn't spend much time here; we went for trivia a couple of times, which was fun. Unfortunately, the piano player Kelly was completely tone deaf and really butchered Billy Joel, Elton John, Jimmy Buffet and others!

We practically ran through there when he was singing.

P1100009.jpg

P1100010.jpg

P1100011.jpg

P1100013.jpg

One of the reasons (of many) that we loved having a cabin on Deck 7, was the convenient access to the Diamond Club where we spent a lot of time - more on that later too.

Edited by librarylady19

SANDI,

like you, I was a staunch Celebrity fan, and still cruise with them. However for several reasons I decided to branch out. After a rocky start w/ RCI about 12 years ago, I gave RCI another try 2 or 3 years ago, and I'm so glad I did. I find in many ways (maybe not food) it compares very favorably with Celebrity and in some categories (especially entertainment) exceeds what I've been experiencing on Celebrity lately. I was also pleasantly surprised by the ships themselves and the level of service.

It appears you are also glad you took the ROYAL PLUNGE. I've followed your reviews on the =X= board and likewise will be following this one.

Hi there!!

I agree that the entertainment was much better and I'll be sharing some of my experience in this review too!!

There was also a small bar outside the Diamond Club (referred to as the "overflow bar") and Some Enchanted Evening Lounge.

P1100021.jpg

P1100022.jpg

P1100023.jpg

P1100024.jpg

Quite a few activities took place here throughout the cruise; we were only there for Quest one night and the Captains Welcome Event.

Rounding out the tour of Deck 6, were the specialty restaurants Giovanni's Table & Chops Grille. We had booked both, plus the Chefs Table in advance to take advantage of the 20% OBC discount, and confirmed with the staff at Chops that we had a table for 4. (I will share photos of the restaurants when I review our dining experiences there.)

P1100033.jpg

As you can see, we are all very happy so far......

Edited by librarylady19

It was now 1:00 p.m. and our cabins were ready! I couldn't wait to see our first RCCL cabin, especially the balcony. It did not disappoint.

Cabin 7652 is a corner aft on the starboard side of the ship, coveted cabins well known to RCCL veterans I understand! It is well worth booking this (or sister cabin 7152 on the port side) I can assure you.

P1100099.jpg

The cabin itself is standard size. My first impressions were that the cabin was very clean and well kept. New soft furnishings had been added in 2013 (not sure if the sofa is new?).

P1100103.jpg

The cabin had a lot of storage (and I do not travel light!). There are nightstands on either side of the bed with 2 drawers large enough to hold small purses, books, etc.

P1100101.jpg

The vanity area had additional storage and ample lighting and space for hair drying/makeup application, etc.

P1100102.jpg

View from balcony:

P1100104.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

The bathroom was small, but it did have quite a lot of storage.

(It seemed pretty spacious after our last cabin on Azamara!!)

P1100108.jpg

P1100109.jpg

P1100110.jpg

The shower was a far cry from the lovely Aqua class shower on X that I enjoyed so much, but it was serviceable, once I figured out how to avoid the shower curtain.

P1100112.jpg

I'm glad Deirdre had warned me about the lack of toiletries (only soap was provided) and I was prepared with my own supply of sample sized toiletries. I wouldn't bring full sized items as the shower caddy is very small.

P1100111.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Here are some photos of the storage, which I could not fill even with 3 suitcases and a garment bag of clothes and shoes:

P1100113.jpg

P1100114.jpg

On left side of vanity:

P1100116.jpg

Each side of vanity had more shelving and 6 drawers underneath too:

P1100117.jpg

I don't have photos of the closet open, but it had ample space for clothes with hangers supplied.

Edited by librarylady19

And, the piece de resistance, the marvelous balcony:

P1100105.jpg

P1100106.jpg

P1100107.jpg

P1100128.jpg

And best of all......

P1100130.jpg

This was our first ever aft cabin and we really loved the view of the wake. It was a bit noisy when we were putting down anchor (heavy vibrations too) but a small price to pay....

Edited by librarylady19

We had packed our swimsuits in our carry-on bags, so after documenting the room for this review, we changed and went to the Solarium before it became too crowded (this turned out to be the only time I went there all week, it was always seemed to be packed, a problem I've encountered on other ships too, but didn't really bother me as I have an indoor pool at my gym at home I use often so didn't really care if I went to the pools onboard.)

P1090992.jpg

P1090993.jpg

P1090995.jpg

In addition to the saltwater pool (no jets), there are 2 hot tubs.

P1090998.jpg

And the Solarium Cafe (which is a bar):

P1090997.jpg

As well as the Park Cafe that is open at breakfast and lunch. It's similar in fare to the Aquaspa cafe on Celebrity, but has a wider range of prepared options, such as sandwiches & wraps. Wish we had eaten there instead of the buffet, as we never got back there all week.

P1100001.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

While we were in the area, we also looked around the Fitness Center (which I never used, but DH did):

P1090981.jpg

and the Spa, which featured some interesting artwork:

P1090982.jpg

P1090984.jpg

The sauna/steam room are free for guests to use:

P1090988.jpg

P1090986.jpg

P1090987.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Fantastic review!

We sail her in March. My question for you, or anyone, do they open the roof on Vision in the Solarium Pool?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope you love it as much as we did. I didn't see the roof open and I'm not sure it has that capability. Hopefully someone with more experience on board can let you know.