Sagrada Familia - am I missing out?

We have a small group half day tour booked to visit Park Guell and stop at various other Barcelona venues. I had originally intended to book a separate time to visit and go up Sagrada Familia but now I don't know if it fits with everything else. Will I be missing out if I don't go up and I just walk around outside?

Thanks!

On our first visit, sunlight through the stained glass window lit up a small patch of one big column in bright jewel colours and I was mesmerized by the beauty. The second time we went, the entire interior was blazing with reflected colour everywhere - on the floor, the pillars and walls. It is a sight I will never forget.

We have a small group half day tour booked to visit Park Guell and stop at various other Barcelona venues. I had originally intended to book a separate time to visit and go up Sagrada Familia but now I don't know if it fits with everything else. Will I be missing out if I don't go up and I just walk around outside?

Thanks!

The good thing about sticking to this plan is that you will end up having another trip to Barcelona. The outside of the Sagrada Familia is beautiful - but the inside is awe inspiring. IMHO I didn't think the towers were essential. Park Guell is well worth a visit too. I am sure there is enough time in a day to fit in both.

Definitely the Sagrada Familia, it really is breathtaking inside. And if possible book your tickets online beforehand so that you miss the queues. Parque Guell is nice too but I think you will regret it if you don't go inside the Sagrada Familia

Everything has been said, but not everyone has said it. :) So I'll chime in to agree that the inside of La Sagrada Familia is a true "don't miss." While Park Guell is interesting and well worth seeing, if those are the choices, I'd pick La Sagrada Familia. (No need to go up a tower if you are short on time, but I would not miss seeing the inside.)

Sagrada%20inside%201024x820_zps1tbscawn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Turtles,

How did you get that nice big picture on your reply? Is it online somewhere and you just have a link?

Yes; I use Photobucket. I upload my images there, then I copy and paste the sharing link here.

Hope that's helpful.

We were in Barcelona for a week pre-cruise and had the luxury of time.

On arrival day, we did all three loops of the HOHO bus without getting off, other than to immediately change routes. It took five hours and cured our jet lag! :) Two of the three loops would have been fine too. This was a great 'city tour' with commentary. We later visited Gaudi's Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Milà (La Padrera) and Casa Batlló. All were fantastic and everyone will have their own favourites. For example, we enjoyed Casa Batlló more than Parc Guell, and we enjoyed the tower experience at Sagrada Familia the most!

Pre-purchased 'timed' tickets are needed for both Sagrada Familia and the 'Monumental district' section of Parc Guell (maybe your tour includes the timed ticket). OTOH, you can still be impressed by Sagrada Familia without entering or going up a tower. Although we're not big fans of visiting churches, this was the one do-not-miss for us. It was amazing to discover how Gaudi's designs copied nature. However, if we hadn't had time for both (knowing, now, what we would have missed), I would skip Parc Guell to experience both aspects of Sagrada Familia (the inside audio tour and tower climb). The views were amazing and visiting Sagrada Familia with the tower experience felt more up-close-and-personal to us than visiting a large park in spite of it's unique aspects.

Barcelona is fascinating so enjoy your day!

even if you don't go inside it is most impressive from the outside. but yes you need pre reserved tix to go in. or you will be waiting if the inside tours are even available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So much to see, so little time. We did four days pre cruise and I loved walking on La Rambla, a walking tour of the old city with Runner Bean Tours, Sagrada Familia, the Magic Fountains, Park Guell. We did the HOHO bus on the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Barcelona is Antoni Gaudi.

La Sagrada Familia is his largest and longest running project. Taking well over a century to build and it is still under construction.

It would be sad to miss.

In March my daughters, hubby, and me board the Epic from Barcelona. It will be my Third time there since last year. It is my new favorite city in Europe.

I suggest spending 5 days there before you board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which HOHO bus did you use? Do you recommend it over the others?

Both systems cover mostly the same routes at about the same price. We picked the all privately owned Barcelona City Tours (the all red buses) over the city owned Turistic Bus (blue sided) because they were a little less crowded and had a slightly better route for what we wanted to see.

I would say both the park and Sagrada Familia are DONT MISS sights. I am convinced that the Sagrada is larger inside than it is outside.....absolutely magical.

The Park Guile is equally unbelievable. This is one tour that you really,really need a guide that can explain what you are looking at. Otherwise, you wonder why the big plaza area at the park is not paved when you discover that it is designed to filter rainwater into cisterns that water the whole park.

Doug