Hello P&O Experts, looking for advice Carribean Cruise - Adonia

blonde-cruiser

Hello, I'm hoping a wise P&O owl might be able to answer some questions I have...

Over 5 years ago I saved-up and went on the Aurora, Southampton to Sydney (43 nights). Bits of it were fantastic, some bits not so good. But I am now very seriously thinking about booking a Caribbean cruise. I like the sound of the Adonia - Adult only. Also the fact they apparently use Virgin Atlantic and you can upgrade your seat (its a special occasion :) )

*First Question - the Adonia in general?? I was on the Aurora back in 2012 and the food was pretty poor.....tasteless salad buffets and dried out melon are the not-so-fond memories. Food is high on our priority list and opinion seems to vary dramatically with P&O on threads....Does it really vary by ship? OR is it just a thing that changes from year to year?

*Second Question and this may seem insignificant, but I was on-board for 43 nights as a solo passenger! and (once we'd left Madeira) I developed a routine, which was to get up and jog round the deck early doors. Aurora was good for this as there was the front section with stairs to climb which made it a good work out. Is jogging possible on the Adonia? AND do they still start moving loungers across the deck and blocking would-be-joggers before 8am ??? I complained about this but it fell on deaf ears.

*3rd and final Question, and yes, this may seem totally ridiculous to some, BUT, I remember some mornings or after lunch I would struggle to find a lounger in a decent area on-board the Aurora. It wouldn't have annoyed me except there was always a large number of crew members, (I suspect maybe the entertainment and reception staff etc) sunning themselves in all the good spots. It was obvious because they were all very young. I was 32 at the time and I know they weren't passengers! Yes, I get it, its a perk of the job and they work hard. But, like probably most passengers, I had worked hard to pay for my ticket and was losing out. Anyone else experienced this? - same chat on the Adonia? Yes, I may be moaning here but its important to me - lots of money, special occasion etc and I like my sunbathing :)

Any good solid answers would be great! I imagine that if you are looking for perfection P&O possibly isn't the cruise line but price wise/flights/itinerary/adult only all seem good. Thank you!

We were on Adonia a few years ago on the Med and really liked her : small traditional ship, good service. The food was to our taste, British and continental food at breakfast and dinner, I enjoyed curries at lunch (DH does not like curry so they were a rare treat for me) and good afternoon teas, scones, tea cakes and tea all properly done. I would say the quality of the meals was good but not top notch. I would do it again if they were doing a cruise where we wanted to go. It does have another feature I liked, free single sex steam rooms. Otherwise the ship is small with less fancy facilities than the larger ships.

The jogging track on Adonia is at the top of the ship and stays clear of sun beds. As it is not a big as Aurora you may get dizzy running around it and you will need to dodge the walkers. There always appeared to be plenty of sun beds around the ship. We find the P & O food suits us and it has certainly improved recently with more choices. We go back on Adonia on 4 August.

Thank you Ozscotart and Kersh for your replies. I don't think the lack of facilities would be an issue - I do like a steam or sauna though, especially if you don't have to book a spa pass etc. Jogging/Walking on deck might be an issue though if she is a bit smaller as I didn't find Aurora that big. That said, its 14 nights not 43 and there are a lot of port days....