LAX Transfer Times

kyriecat

I usually hate the "can I make this flight" questions, but I need some advice.

My air travel from LAX to PPT and return is booked through Paul Gauguin as part of the cruise package. I inquired about adding air from Houston to LAX to the package. Their option would have added almost $1600 to the cost of the trip plus we would have had to leave very early in the morning and switch planes in Dallas. Since we could book direct flights for Houston to LAX for around $700, we booked separately. We are flying into LAX the day before the PG flight to PPT and staying the night near the airport.

For the return trip, PG has us booked on a Tahiti Nui flight that is scheduled to land at LAX at 11:15 AM on a Saturday. I booked a 3:30 PM flight on United from LAX to Houston. From what I have read, a little over 4 hours between flights should be adequate to get through Immigration/Customs and to our next flight.

United has just changed our flight from 3:30 to 2:32 so we now only have about 3 hours between arrival at LAX and departure.

How reliable is the TN flight?

How long should I expect for Immigration/Customs if we do not have global entry?

How long does it generally take to get through security to the domestic terminal?

There is a United flight to Houston that leaves at 4:40 PM, but United told me that because they moved our flights up less than an hour from the original time and my incoming flight is not booked through them or one of their partner airlines, we would have to pay $150 pp rebooking fee to change to the 4:40 flight.

It makes me mad to pay a change fee because they moved my flight to an inconvenient time, but if there is a significant risk of missing our flight to Houston because we only have 3 hours between flights, I'd rather pay the fee and switch to the later flight than try to book another flight at the airport, which would probably be much more expensive than $300.

That should be fine unless the departing flight is delayed. Customs in the US took us less than an hour even with two planes arriving at the same time.

Whether or not the ATN flight gets delayed is another issue. I haven't paid attention to their reliability so I'm not sure.

Terminal transit times vary all the time. Have you considered applying for Global Entry? It may make sense for you depending on your circumstances.

It's nice how they adjusted the flight by 58 minutes to stay inside of their change rules isn't it? And airlines wonder why people don't like them!

That should be fine unless the departing flight is delayed. Customs in the US took us less than an hour even with two planes arriving at the same time.

Whether or not the ATN flight gets delayed is another issue. I haven't paid attention to their reliability so I'm not sure.

Terminal transit times vary all the time. Have you considered applying for Global Entry? It may make sense for you depending on your circumstances.

It's nice how they adjusted the flight by 58 minutes to stay inside of their change rules isn't it? And airlines wonder why people don't like them!

Yes, they are not on our side. LAX is no fun but Global Entry saves a lot of time. Even if you don't go out of the country a lot, it includes TSA Pre Check domestically. A couple of weeks ago, ATN actually arrived 15 minutes early. Scary. 3 hours should be ok as long as you can handle your bags.

We have transferred through LAX about 6 times from international flights and then connected to flights to NY. While I would never schedule it we could have made every flight within 90 minutes of landing. It never took us that long to clear customs or immigration. I think you will be fine.

I checked into global entry, but the center for Houston is only open M-F so with drive time over there, I would have to use a full day of vacation for enrollment. Between my cruise and family obligations, I will have all but 2 days of my yearly vacation allotment used up by July. I'd rather save the remaining days in case something comes up during the latter part of the year that will require taking time off.

The dangers of booking two separate tickets.

You can check on-time performance of your flight here:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByRoute.do

You should be fine, as long as your first flight is on time. If you find you are going to miss the flight, get on the phone with UA, because if you don't call before that flight departs, your tickets will be cancelled.

You can always try calling UA again; although you need at least a 90 minute change (not 60), to get a free flight change, you can often find an agent who will do it anyway.

If the Houston global entry signup place is only open M-F, that is new because that is where my husband and I went to get ours. We went on a Saturday. But that was right after the program started, so maybe they aren't as busy now.

I agree about calling UA back. You will get a different agent. Explain the situation as nicely as possible, and maybe they will be sympathetic and change it for you.

I doubt it's worth a day of your time to take extraordinary measures just for the global entry thing. I think three plus hours is plenty of time. It can be slow getting through customs and immigration with all the big planes coming in from Asia, but once you're through the other terminals are nearby and pretty quick to get to. Just have a good look at the terminal map and know where you have to go.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Any updates to this post?

I read somewhere that they added a new tunnel or passageway to speed up transfers.

Also, I've read one should allot 4 hours to safely transfer from dom to intl (ATN) at LAX. Is this true?

Should one allot more time on the return to the US than in the departure, at least LAX-wise?

TY!

Hi all,

Any updates to this post?

I read somewhere that they added a new tunnel or passageway to speed up transfers.

Also, I've read one should allot 4 hours to safely transfer from dom to intl (ATN) at LAX. Is this true?

Should one allot more time on the return to the US than in the departure, at least LAX-wise?

TY!

Yes there is a new walkway (skyway) and it can be accessible from terminal 4 which has access to the tunnel which can take you to Terminals 5 - 8. (see attachment)

LAX-CTA-South-Tunnel-Map.pdf

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

I checked into global entry, but the center for Houston is only open M-F so with drive time over there, I would have to use a full day of vacation for enrollment. Between my cruise and family obligations, I will have all but 2 days of my yearly vacation allotment used up by July. I'd rather save the remaining days in case something comes up during the latter part of the year that will require taking time off.

Not sure where in Houston you are, but you can also go to the Houston Library. They are pretty good about the appointment times they make and if you are close, maybe you could go on lunch. My entire appointment took me 15 minutes. Soooooo worth it. I've used it about 8 times already in the 2 years I have had it not to mention all the TSA pre-checks!

Edited by Dem920
typo

Not sure where in Houston you are, but you can also go to the Houston Library. They are pretty good about the appointment times they make and if you are close, maybe you could go on lunch. My entire appointment took me 15 minutes. Soooooo worth it. I've used it about 8 times already in the 2 years I have had it not to mention all the TSA pre-checks!

We are from Houston and have had our Global Entry since 2013, well worth the $100 fee when traveling internationally. I was not aware that you could get interview appointments for Global Entry at the Houston Libraries? Our appointment years past was at IAH and I also think they have an office in Downtown Houston. Our appointment time choices were much quicker to obtain by going to IAH. Process was quick and easy. Highly recommend when you can avoid those Customs lines.

• 1 month later...
Yes there is a new walkway (skyway) and it can be accessible from terminal 4 which has access to the tunnel which can take you to Terminals 5 - 8. (see attachment)

OMG, thank you so much for this information! Not dealing with PG's air deviation desk and booking our own air from GJT to LAX. Haven't been to LAX in YEARS and am super happy to see the tunnel set up to get to other terminals without having to go through security again!!!

Will make sure and give ourselves plenty of time to navigate the walkways and tunnels.

Any updates on transit times in LAX? We have 2 hrs and 50 minutes to make the connection coming back from PPT, do we need to look for other flights?

You should be fine so long as the flight is on-time which the vast majority of the time it is. Customs and grabing your bags typically takes 45 - 60 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be using the tunnel for our Fiji-Bali cruise next month. A question: We are flying into LAX on Alaska. Confident that Alaska will send our bags all the way to Fiji because of codeshare agreement with Fiji Airways.Since our air tickets are separate, I'm thinking that after we take the tunnel to TBIT, we will need to exit security and check in at Fiji Airways to get our boarding passes (and get our names checked off by the PG rep), and then have to go through security (ugh) before heading to gate. Does that sound right? Would love to be able to have boarding passes in hand as we get off the Alaska flight, but as I mentioned, two separate tickets.

Be aware that in mid-May Delta is changing its location at LAX to 2 and 3 from 5 and 6. Obviously all the airlines currently in 2 and 3 will be moving. It's like they are competing with LaGuardia on how bad can it get. More info at http://www.laxishappening.com/relocation.aspx.

Thanks for the heads up, good to know so we give accurate information ;)

We will be using the tunnel for our Fiji-Bali cruise next month. A question: We are flying into LAX on Alaska. Confident that Alaska will send our bags all the way to Fiji because of codeshare agreement with Fiji Airways.Since our air tickets are separate, I'm thinking that after we take the tunnel to TBIT, we will need to exit security and check in at Fiji Airways to get our boarding passes (and get our names checked off by the PG rep), and then have to go through security (ugh) before heading to gate. Does that sound right? Would love to be able to have boarding passes in hand as we get off the Alaska flight, but as I mentioned, two separate tickets.

You may be able to print your boarding passes on Fiji before departing. In that case, you shouldn't have to exit the TSA secure area. When the Fiji gate counter opens, you should check with them since they will want to verify your passport. Since you have separate tickets, Alaska is not required to check the baggage through to FP. If they do not, you will have to retrieve your baggage from AS and carry it to Fiji's counter. I would recommend you call AS's customer service number to ask directly and get the person's name if they say they will check it through.