pros and cons of overnight in Jerusalem?

cheffip

We have an overnight in Ashdod on our Celebrity cruise next September. We are looking at options but wondered about staying overnight in Jerusalem. I understand the feel of the city is quite different after the day-trippers leave.

Would appreciate hearing pros and cons of doing this - an obvious con being the added cost of a hotel, dinner and breakfast!

OTOH, although we travel often, this is likely to be our only visit there.

I urge you to spend the night. The biggest pro is that you save the wasted time traveling back and forth from the port. You have such an extremely limited amount of time to see one of the most fascinating areas in the world. Why waste it?

Enjoy some wonderful Israeli food for dinner at a nice restaurant, and see some sights that are open at night, such as the Tower of David. Are you overnight on a Tuesday? The wonderful Israel Museum is open until 2100. I highly recommend it.

I haven't done Jerusalem by cruise but I have stayed there overnight as part of a land based trip. I too would strongly recommend staying overnight. Inside the old walls there is still quite a lot going on after dark. many shops/stalls stay open late, as do some of the churches. Just outside the walls you can also find a few hotels (not cheap) and many places to eat both modern and old. We stayed at the YMCA which is a beautiful old restored building and a few minutes walk to the gates, but the rooms are basic and expensive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...