Getting to Cruise Port from Civitavecchia train station

webj

Hello Fellow Travelers,

We are taking Princess Cruise in August 2017 from Rome(Civitavecchia) to Athens. We are 10 people (2 seniors, 4 adults, 4 kids - 15, 10, 9, 3) . We are staying in Rome before our cruise and plan on taking the train to Civitavecchia.

How do I get from Civitavecchia train station to Princess Cruise port? Is it walkable or do I need any other type of transportation? Does Princess provide a shuttle? Please let me know.

Thank You.

To my knowledge there isn't a Princess shuttle, however we shared a cab that was actually a fairly large van so just head outside the train station and look for a taxi.

Note that there is a shuttle that is quite economical and you buy the tickets in the little convenience store inside the train station. But we like the cab.

Good luck and enjoy!

We're mobile seniors & walked with our wheeled luggage from the train station to overnight at a beachside hotel. It took about 10 minutes to get there & about another 5-10 minutes the next morning to walk to the port entrance. From there it was a free mandatory bus that transported us through the port to the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We're mobile seniors & walked with our wheeled luggage from the train station to overnight at a beachside hotel. It took about 10 minutes to get there & about another 5-10 minutes the next morning to walk to the port entrance. From there it was a free mandatory bus that transported us through the port to the ship.

I like that term "mobile seniors"!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to know that we can walk to the port entrance from the train station. Thanks for sharing.:)

Suggest you go online for Toms Port Guides (Free) for Rome/Civitavecchia - www.tomsportguides.com/. He has a very informative and detailed description of how to get from the train station to the port entrance where you catch your bus to the ship. We've done it and it can be done with wheeled luggage.

The port is not pedestrian friendly and it really depends on what berth your ship is at and how much luggage you have. The extra 20-40 dollars (maximum I am guessing and probably far less from the station) it may cost to get you delivered directly to the ship may be well worth it. In August, it could be extremely hot and a 15-20 minute walk minimum, wheeling luggage would not be pleasant

The port is not pedestrian friendly and it really depends on what berth your ship is at and how much luggage you have. The extra 20-40 dollars (maximum I am guessing and probably far less from the station) it may cost to get you delivered directly to the ship may be well worth it. In August, it could be extremely hot and a 15-20 minute walk minimum, wheeling luggage would not be pleasant

Thanks for the tips.

Suggest you go online for Toms Port Guides (Free) for Rome/Civitavecchia - www.tomsportguides.com/. He has a very informative and detailed description of how to get from the train station to the port entrance where you catch your bus to the ship. We've done it and it can be done with wheeled luggage.

toms Guide is really useful. Thanks for sharing.

We walked it (2 families with kids ranging from 11-16). It was a little confusing, but we ended up finding the shuttle. Had to walk for about 10 minutes to get there.

I have walked from the port entrance to the Train Station area without any luggage and I can tell I would not want to do it with luggage. I do not believe the little bit of money saved is worth it, uneven pavement likely... but I am the kind of person who likes arrive in style, not sweating and breathing heavy ... we are walks at home. We are not light packers either... we always take a personal car service from Rome direct to the ship.

Princess does not have a shuttle, there is a free port shuttle from the port entrance... I have been in and out of Rome a number of times.. ships can be docked some distance from the port entrance.

Hi. In April I took a cruise from Civitavecchia. In the recent past I've taken the 4 euro local bus to the area where the port bus picks up passengers and shuttles them to their ship. After buying tickets in the cafe at the station I headed over to the bus stop, feeling like a real expert.

However at the bus stop we noticed a sign saying that there were no buses from 12 until 2pm. We managed to haggle one of the local white van taxi drivers down from 20 to 15 euros. My upcoming cruise departs from Civitavecchia and I'll be in a group of 4. Would definitely recommend the taxi over the long winded two bus route.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

Hello Fellow Travelers,

We are taking Princess Cruise in August 2017 from Rome(Civitavecchia) to Athens. We are 10 people (2 seniors, 4 adults, 4 kids - 15, 10, 9, 3) . We are staying in Rome before our cruise and plan on taking the train to Civitavecchia.

How do I get from Civitavecchia train station to Princess Cruise port? Is it walkable or do I need any other type of transportation? Does Princess provide a shuttle? Please let me know.

Thank You.

You are focused on the wrong part of your problem. The real issue is negotiating the train station in Rome. Depending on where the track is and where you enter, you may find yourself climbing up and down several long staircases, no escalator or elevators. I can almost promise you that you will regret your decision to train to the port. The train stations and trains are not "luggage" friendly. Why start your cruise with a hassle, first in Rome and then getting from the Civit train station to the port. Do some research and hire a van to take you point to point, hotel to ship. Trust me, you do not want to know the agita you will be avoiding, especially trying to corral small kids amidst the crowded train station in Rome, making your way up/down stairs with luggage, and the narrow crowded sidewalks in Civit.

Don't think of walking ... I did and it was a disaster twice. (once with luggage /once without) . You can walk to the port which is massive, but then there are long roads to the ships with no sidewalks. Keep in mind this is an industrial area. You won't know which way to go. There is a shuttle at the port, but the shuttle stop is not exactly where you'd think it should be. Don't expect to have access to English speaking folks to help you out either. On a side note, if all aboard is 9 or 10 in the evening, it is possible the last shuttle is a 7. Best to take a bus shuttle from the train station to the cruise shuttle area by the port, or taxi.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with Shoalwater's post above. I urge you to consider booking a transfer directly from your Rome hotel to shipside at the port in Civitavecchia. Depending on the number of vehicles, the per person cost should be in the €25 - €30 range.

Consider the cost of transportation to the train station in Rome, train tickets, and transportation from the station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance. Consider, also, schlepping your luggage in and out of a taxi in Rome, the train, transport to the port entrance, and the port shuttle. In addition, upon arrival in Civitavecchia you will need to transport your luggage down a staircase, under the tracks, then up a staircase.

A transfer is a much more civilized way to go...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Just for everyone's information Toms Port Guides are out of date and have not been updated since 2012. The port shuttle bus no longer takes you to the port entrance but to a small bus station the opposite side of Civitavecchia than the train station and is a fair walk just to the town centre and even further to the railway station. It is no longer feasible to walk from railway station to port entrance and catch a free shuttle bus. It is just as far to walk to the new area where the shuttle bus drops/picks you up for you return to the ship as if you just walked from railway station to your ship. If you are arriving at the railway station with luggage then your only option is a long walk to your ship or a taxi.

I agree with Lew & Shoalwater...a van from Rome to the ship would be a better option for your group than the train.

With a group of 10 it could also be more cost effective to book a van than the train. We booked 1st Class tickets for the train & thankfully there were few passengers. Thus we could place our larger bags by empty seats because the only storage areas were overhead & only large enough for small carry on size bags.

Just for everyone's information Toms Port Guides are out of date and have not been updated since 2012. The port shuttle bus no longer takes you to the port entrance but to a small bus station the opposite side of Civitavecchia than the train station and is a fair walk just to the town centre and even further to the railway station. It is no longer feasible to walk from railway station to port entrance and catch a free shuttle bus. It is just as far to walk to the new area where the shuttle bus drops/picks you up for you return to the ship as if you just walked from railway station to your ship. If you are arriving at the railway station with luggage then your only option is a long walk to your ship or a taxi.

I don't agree with that. Although I would likely NOT do it with an excess of luggage, you definitely can walk to the "new" (about 4 years) shuttle stop from the train station. We have done it numerous times. Without luggage, takes less than 20 minutes along the seafront. If you walk through the city streets might take a minute or 2 longer. And how would you "walk to your ship"? The port access is largely restricted, and if your ship is docked at Terminal 13, you are still around 2k away from the shuttle point, or a total of about 3km from the train station.

We have only done this route from the port to Rome.

However:

Neither train station is luggage or pedestrian friendly. At the port, we had to carry our bags down stairs to the correct platform, which was not identified until five minutes before the train arrived. At Rome, we were moving our bags down stairs to get to the correct platform when there was a security alert and we were ordered upstairs. A very nice police officer assisted, but once the problem was resolved, we then had to go down and up again. (I'm all in favor of the cops being super careful about security.)

At the port, the distance from the station to the ship is walkable (if you know where you are going), but it is not luggage friendly. Old, uneven surfaces. In the heat, you will rapidly sweat through your clothes, and arrive at the ship for check-in in a funk. And even if check in is only an hour (probably the minimum time possible), you will sit there and stew about your unpleasant journey from Rome.

Do yourself a favor. Arrange for a transfer from your hotel in Rome directly to the ship. Money well spent.

As a side note, when we checked in for that cruise, the folks ahead of us were bemoaning the fact that the Italians had not located Rome and Florence more conveniently to the cruise ship ports. I suggested they take that up with Romulus and Remus.

we have done transport from Rome to the pier a few times. I have written about it a few times in my blog with detailed instructions. here is the link

http://vickieandbernietravel.blogspot.ca/2016/11/travelling-to-port-of-civitavecchia.html

If you don't have a ton of luggage - we usually only have one medium size bag each and maybe one smaller roller carry on. We are able to manage quite fine.

I have heard how inexpensive it is to take a private shuttle to the pier but I have never seen a great deal personally unless I have been in a large group in a van and we are more do it ourselves.

Whatever you choose enjoy your trip

Hello Fellow Travelers,

I have done it twice, walked to the port from the train station. I was traveling solo. It was not hard. The worse part was not walking from the train station to the port. On the train I had to stand. I also traveled from Rome in a shared ride arranged on our roll call. With that large a group like yours it makes more sense to arrange taxis or a van.