Local Flavors

MarTex

About to make my first trip to Austrailia. What are some of the local foods, beers/drinks that I should try. Also what local souvenir must I bring home. We will be in Sydney and Cairns. Thanks

About to make my first trip to Austrailia. What are some of the local foods, beers/drinks that I should try. Also what local souvenir must I bring home. We will be in Sydney and Cairns. Thanks

I'll kick it off with my suggestions.

Local food: Meat Pie, vegimite on toast, Lamington. We also eat our National emblems Fauna, the Kangaroo and Emu.:D

Local beers: Try a few of the craft beers tike Little Creatures and Coopers Pale Ale, any Matilda Bay product. If you are at the Rocks area in Sydney, check out Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel at 19 Kent St, The Rocks and try their craft beers. They are Sydney's oldest continually licensed hotel.;)

Souvenir: Akubra hat, R.M.Williams boots and clothing.

That should get the ball rolling.:cool:

Meat Pie, Vegemite, Anzac Biscuit, Cherry Ripe and Lamington are all not to miss. You will also find a lot of seafood reataurants.

Beer you'll find 100's to try in Sydney you must try Tooheys [New a lager and Old a Dark Ale, often referred to as "Black"] and in Cairns XXXX [pronounced four x], Queenslander's can't spell beer ;).

Souvenirs you'll love the Akubra and RM Williams, but there is also a lot of stuff made out of sheepskin and Kangaroo Leather and our Opals are the best in the world a lot really depends on how much you want to spend.

Please yell if you want to know more.

Definitely Australian seafood. I recommend lunch or dinner at the Sydney Cove Oyster Bar at Circular Quay (Opera House side). Great views and great seafood.

Or go to the Sydney Fish Markets where you can get wonderful freshly prepared seafood but the surroundings are a bit basic.

Add to the lists above Violet crumble candy bar and Tim Tams.

As for souveneers you can go fun and tacky with things like koala teddy bears and magnets of the Sydney Harbour bridge, or go something like a painted boomerang (try to find one that has been hand painted by an aboriginal artist rather than an imported Chinese one), sheepskin products, local hand crafted goods (the Rocks markets in Sydney or the Port Douglas Sunday markets are great for these). Also our unique food items such as honey, macadamia nuts (yes they are native to Australia not Hawaii), fruit chutneys etc. Around the Cairns area has some amazing food producers, you can buy Australian grown coffee, tea, chocolate and even Vanilla (most potent vanilla strain in the world according to the farmer, but maybe he was just trying to sell me more :) )

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have made note of all of these, and I admit I have not heard of most of these items. Well done.icon14.gif This will add to my vacation. I have tried Vegemite. It is either a cruel joke that you Aussies play on us Yanks, or, it is an aquired taste. Ha Ha. Maybe I have not properly prepared it. Just on toast. Willing to try it again. Thanks again. Leaving shortly, getting excited!

As a non-Aussie I would also recommend Ginger Beer. While not strictly an Australian invention it is great on a hot day and very different than the Caribbean version.

Meat Pies can be very good or just so-so. Worth looking for a good place. Maybe a local can make a recommendation here.

Hi,

We will be in Sydney in January pre cruise. I only have one day to take either the Hunter Valley Wine tour or the Blue Mtn tour. Both look amazing but have to decide. Which is the best and who would you use for the tour?

Thanks!

As a non-Aussie I would also recommend Ginger Beer. While not strictly an Australian invention it is great on a hot day and very different than the Caribbean version.

Meat Pies can be very good or just so-so. Worth looking for a good place. Maybe a local can make a recommendation here.

I will add the Austrailian version of ginger beer to my list, thank you. I have heard about Harry's Cafe de Wheels. I am staying in the Rocks area and I did notice a Harry's not far from where we are staying. I'm sure there are varying opinions about how good their meat pies are. We are also planning on eating at Doyles for their seafood. Lot's of beer choices...I like Australia already.

The Bundaberg Brewed Drinks makes a great brewed Ginger Beer and Sarsaparilla also known as Root Beer. You can get them at the major shopping stores, Coles and Woolworth.

And don't forget to try a Pav [Pavlova].

I have eaten a lot of meat pie's n my days and in my opinion Harry's are tops, not a typical meat pie being much chunkier meat.

....and in Queensland you have to have your pie with a serving of mushey peas on top :D

The Bundaberg Brewed Drinks makes a great brewed Ginger Beer and Sarsaparilla also known as Root Beer. You can get them at the major shopping stores, Coles and Woolworth.

There is also Saxby's, Bundy is a bitter sharper than Saxby so it is all a matter of taste, maybe try both if you like Ginger Beer.

Other not miss foods

Damper

Wheet-Bix

Any Arnott's biscuits, but SAO a must

Chiko Roll

Vanilla Slice [invented in France but ours is best]

Hamburger with BEETROOT can't get them OS

Anything cooked on a Bar-B-Que

....and in Queensland you have to have your pie with a serving of mushey peas on top :D

Someone mentioned Harry's Cafe d'Wheels earlier they do a "Tiger"

Pie

Mashed Spud

Sloppy Peas

Gravy

Hey I'll be near Harry's tomorrow wonder what I'll have for lunch mmmm?

This list might help

anzac biscuits - traditional biscuit/cookie dating back to World War I

bangers - sausages

bangers and mash - sausages and mashed potato

barby - Bar B Que

billy tea - bush tea boiled in a tin container

biscuits - cookies

booze - alcohol

bundy - Bundaberg rum, eg 'bundy and coke'

champers - champagne

chips - French fries or Crisps [yep same word for both]

chook - chicken

cuppa - cup of tea or coffee

damper - bush bread

dog's eye - meat pie

grog - alcohol

lamington - traditional small sponge cake squares covered in chocolate

icing and sprinkled with coconut [sometimes with cream in the middle]

lollies - candy

middy - medium sized glass of beer

pavlova {or Pav}- traditional meringue dessert

sanga - sandwich

schooner - large glass of beer

snag - sausage

stubby - small bottle of beer

tinny - can of beer

tomato sauce [also dead horse] - ketchup

tucker [or grub]- food

VB - Victoria Bitter, brand of beer

Vegemite [or Vegi]- spread for toast or sandwiches, made from yeast extract

XXXX - 'four ex', Queensland brand of beer

What are some of the local foods, beers/drinks that I should try.
Kangaroo fillet. Like good beef, but much lower in fat and a bit sweeter in taste - although it can get tough if overcooked. And if you eat it, you'll be helping the Australian environment too.

I have tried Vegemite. It is either a cruel joke that you Aussies play on us Yanks, or, it is an aquired taste. Ha Ha. Maybe I have not properly prepared it. Just on toast. Willing to try it again. Thanks again. Leaving shortly, getting excited!

The trick with Vegemite is to spread it very thinly. Like Peck's paste, a little goes a long way. I've seen a lot of Americans spread it like peanut butter and it doesn't work.

The trick with Vegemite is to spread it very thinly. Like Peck's paste, a little goes a long way. I've seen a lot of Americans spread it like peanut butter and it doesn't work.

Unless you grew up with the stuff and then you can handle it being thicker than brick mortar :P I love a nice crusty white bread roll with a slab a butter and an ever thicker spread of Vegemite, yum yum!

Unless you grew up with the stuff and then you can handle it being thicker than brick mortar :P I love a nice crusty white bread roll with a slab a butter and an ever thicker spread of Vegemite, yum yum!

But Vegemite Virgins should take it small at first. ;)

Ahh Vegemite, first you need crunchy HOT toast, then you slather on butter thickly, then a coating of Vegemite (thickness depends on your tolerance and whether you grew up with it). Then the butter melts into the toast and the black vegemite swims around in the yellow butter like Axel Grease. Absolute heaven :D When you have been feeling a bit off colour, Aussies will always say "I just feel like a piece of toast and Vegemite". Comfort food.

Thanks for the tip!