Flow Rider

Hello All,

Do we need water shoes to ride on the flow rider? or is it recommended to wear water shoes on the flow rider?

We have never tried it but looking forward to it on our upcoming cruise.

Thank you

You can't wear them. I wear a supportive flip flop that is no longer made called a MION (which are awesome) while in line, You are not allowed to wear shoes, hats, glasses, etc. on the flowrider (although I was allowed to wear a hat on the Freedom of the Seas with a string around my neck holding it to my head on some days depending on who the sports staff manning the flowrider were. On one cruise a guy tore a toe nail off and they allowed him to wear a sock while surfing.

You should wear a full coverage suit, I always wear board shorts and a rash guard. I do recommend the rash guard to protect you from the sun. Depending on the weather you may want a wet suit. As it can be cold some days depending on when and where you are.

JC

JC is 100% correct.

My boys wear board shorts with compression shorts underneath, in the event that the wave sweeps their shorts off, they are still covered.

For our December sailing on Anthem, I got them both short wetsuits to keep their core warm while standing in line (for the wind) and on the wave (for the water). Older one loved it and said it was great. Younger one hates to be so confined but he didn't do a lot of surfing that trip. Now I have to hope that he doesn't outgrow it so fast that I can't even use it.

Nothing on your feet, no glasses (and if you wear contacts, be aware that you're going to get water in your face).

Hello All,

Do we need water shoes to ride on the flow rider? or is it recommended to wear water shoes on the flow rider?

We have never tried it but looking forward to it on our upcoming cruise.

Thank you

It's basically like a trampoline with water rushing over the top of it. So no shoes necessary, and as said before, they won't let you. I loved it on our Freedom cruise last year, but when I did the boogie boarding on my stomach, my toes would rub on the surface and get raw spots on them. Next time I'll be putting athletic tape or something on my toes

You can't wear them. I wear a supportive flip flop that is no longer made called a MION (which are awesome) while in line, You are not allowed to wear shoes, hats, glasses, etc. on the flowrider (although I was allowed to wear a hat on the Freedom of the Seas with a string around my neck holding it to my head on some days depending on who the sports staff manning the flowrider were. On one cruise a guy tore a toe nail off and they allowed him to wear a sock while surfing.

You should wear a full coverage suit, I always wear board shorts and a rash guard. I do recommend the rash guard to protect you from the sun. Depending on the weather you may want a wet suit. As it can be cold some days depending on when and where you are.

JC

JC, I lost a enough of a toe nail, but not that much.;) It is so dangerous no one should ride it.:D

You getting ready for your upcoming sailing? I bought a shortie suit at Costco of all places this spring. $45 and it is a Body Glove. I wish I was riding with you, means I wouldn't be at work.

Note to self: Don't waste money on a pedicure for my daughter!!

Too bad they can't wear water socks. They are so fitted, they can't fly off. They are meant for water sports.

My son's feet bleed sometimes from doing martial arts barefoot, and the constant rubbing on the mats. I'd hate to see how his feet get torn up on flow rider. Seems to me water socks keep it more sanitary.

Kids are excited for flowrider, our last two Royal cruises they were to young/too light. Only 8 and 10 but they are both tall enough to stand now and we don't sail until November. Now, if only I can figure out how to keep their little feet in tact.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

The watersocks my kids have are the typical (cheap_ $5 ones from Walmart) with a Velcro flap on the top.

Do they allow this kind which is more of a sock than a shoe? I think they are known as fin socks and are meant for body surfing

m0LstDqkkTMRhDyfxKGZ2Gw.jpg

The watersocks my kids have are the typical (cheap_ $5 ones from Walmart) with a Velcro flap on the top.

Do they allow this kind which is more of a sock than a shoe? I think they are known as fin socks and are meant for body surfing

m0LstDqkkTMRhDyfxKGZ2Gw.jpg

I would never say they will never let them. Depending on the sports staff they might. That said I would expect them to freak out and tell the kids that they can't wear them.

The man with the toe nail issue was a Canadian too. Although he doesn't speak much English. I have cruised with him twice and he never misses the time the wave is open, even when he lost a toe nail.

I am very much ready for my cruise, even though it is not for another 2-1/2 weeks, and the average temps will be most likely in the 50s....:eek:

JC

Note to self: Don't waste money on a pedicure for my daughter!!

Too bad they can't wear water socks. They are so fitted, they can't fly off. They are meant for water sports.

My son's feet bleed sometimes from doing martial arts barefoot, and the constant rubbing on the mats. I'd hate to see how his feet get torn up on flow rider. Seems to me water socks keep it more sanitary.

Kids are excited for flowrider, our last two Royal cruises they were to young/too light. Only 8 and 10 but they are both tall enough to stand now and we don't sail until November. Now, if only I can figure out how to keep their little feet in tact.

Most people probably won't have an issue with it, a lot of people I watched their feet never really touched the surface. I probably drug my feet more than normal because I'm old and fat and I was just trying not to fly off the thing :eek:

Thank you all for the responses. We will definitely be getting swim shirts for the flow rider. We don't get out to do many water activities so a wet suit is hard to justify for us. Amazon has some great swim shirts.

Thank you to all

I am another who has had issues with skin rubbing off on my toes on the flow rider in the past. I also had some abrasion on my knees when lying down the first times that I tried it.

Just completed a cruise and was conscious to avoid the problem so tried to let my feet drag less heavily in the water and it worked a treat. No problem this time.

Try and pick a "less" crowded time ( I found around meal times OK) because the flow rider is not much fun at all when they stick that horrible divider down the middle once the lines get too long.

Most people probably won't have an issue with it, a lot of people I watched their feet never really touched the surface. I probably drug my feet more than normal because I'm old and fat and I was just trying not to fly off the thing :eek:

lol.

I would never say they will never let them. Depending on the sports staff they might. That said I would expect them to freak out and tell the kids that they can't wear them.

The man with the toe nail issue was a Canadian too. Although he doesn't speak much English. I have cruised with him twice and he never misses the time the wave is open, even when he lost a toe nail.

I am very much ready for my cruise, even though it is not for another 2-1/2 weeks, and the average temps will be most likely in the 50s....:eek:

JC

enjoy your cruise!!!

I have a scuba shop near me, so i will see if I can pick up the fin socks relatively inexpensively. If my kids are able to use them, I will report back (but we don't sail until November).

They don't, but maybe i will try telling them the kids have warts on their feet :D

If you want a pedi to survive the flow rider and beaches get a shellac Pedi they last through everything.

Defiantly 100% get your DD a rash guard to flow ride. More important than water shoes. My DD lives on the flowrider and she says everyday girls loose their tops.

I have never seen anyone wear anything on their feet except the sports staff they generally have on water sock/shoe finger toe things.

If you want a pedi to survive the flow rider and beaches get a shellac Pedi they last through everything.

Defiantly 100% get your DD a rash guard to flow ride. More important than water shoes. My DD lives on the flowrider and she says everyday girls loose their tops.

I have never seen anyone wear anything on their feet except the sports staff they generally have on water sock/shoe finger toe things.

We are on the Allure next month with granddaughter and BFF both 14. I bought both of them rash guard shirts to wear for that reason. If their tops came off the cruise would end and they would helicopter off the ship....Or maybe death would happen. I also told them to bring their bootie shorts (they hate that name). The lycra shorts they wear to dance class that hug their booties. We all do the Shellac/gel polish.

This will definitely sound like a stupid question, but I have to ask...

I just looked up what rash guard is, didn't know what it was.

Do you recommend to get it fitted or loose? I am assuming fitted.

It's good to know that I won't be the first old and fat person to do the Flow Rider. I figure that I'll be standing in line with the 8 and 10 year olds though :rolleyes:

Its a tight swim shirt that goes over your swimsuit.

449688_AG15_FF_VCL?fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.5,1,3,0&icc=sRGB%20IEC61966-2.1,relative&iccEmbed=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=4.576659038901602&id=rGhut2

That one is good, but the better type is the actual one piece pull over. Some of them even have a tie down loop/string in the front that you tie into your shorts tie. I would recommend this top if it is made of neoprene to wear between rides if it is cold, to keep you out of the breeze. Much better than being wrapped in a wet, cold towel. We have all seen that before on the ships.

We buy from Quicksilver and on-line. I have linked their kids surf line-up below. They have rash guards and their prices are good with free shipping as well. If you check on-line there are often discount codes that can be found. We have also had to return and they are good about it.

Hope it helps.

http://www.quiksilver.com/surfshop-kids-rash-vests/

Edited by A&L_Ont

That one is good, but the better type is the actual one piece pull over. Some of them even have a tie down loop/string in the front that you tie into your shorts tie. I would recommend this top if it is made of neoprene to wear between rides if it is cold, to keep you out of the breeze. Much better than being wrapped in a wet, cold towel. We have all seen that before on the ships.

We buy from Quicksilver and on-line. I have linked their kids surf line-up below. They have rash guards and their prices are good with free shipping as well. If you check on-line there are often discount codes that can be found. We have also had to return and they are good about it.

Hope it helps.

http://www.quiksilver.com/surfshop-kids-rash-vests/

Do you recommend long sleeve shirts for protection or should short sleeves be good enough? Will be in the Mediterranean during Jul so shouldn't need the long sleeves for warmth.

Every cruise we have been on, they have been very strict about no use of fin socks (which are perfect to use). My friend, who is a diabetic, got a letter from Flow Rider saying that fin socks can be worn on the surface without causing any damage. He takes the letter on each cruise and has been able to use them. A piece of duct tape can be put across tops of toes to protect from rubbing for others.

A great place to order FlowRider rash guards and accessories.

http://www.flowridershop.com/shop/flow-rider-rashguard/