Has anyone done St Petersburg with children?

Jo and Rob

If you do a search of "Baltic" on this forum, you'll find lots of posts from families who have done it. I looked into it because we want to book one as well, and families generally report that kids enjoy this as much or more than Med cruises because the sights are not far from the port and are very kid friendly. In my opinion, private tours or self-touring rather than ship tours are important in Europe to port days kid-friendly. You can find lots of recommendations on the ports of call boards for family friendly tour guides, including St. Petersburg.

Best,

Mia

We are going in June with children aged 16, 14, 12, and 4. I'll let you know how it goes! The three older kids have each selected a port in which to be our tour guide (they chose Stockholm, Helsinki, and Copenhagen). For St. Petersburg, we'll be in a group from our roll call which also includes other kids, going with SPB Tours. We have cruised as a family to the eastern Med and western Med, so now we're looking forward to visitng several new countries.

I think Mia made a great point about the sights being close to the ship--especially in the western Med, we had several days with long train rides into the city (Rome, Pompeii, Florence...). It looks like in the Baltic, the ports are right in the cities.

We have done both the Baltics and the Med with our kids and while they enjoyed both I would say that they probably have a preference for the Baltics as, with the exception of St. Petersburg and Gdansk, the cities were easy to see on our own and because the heat wasn't unbearable in the Baltics as it was in the Mediterranean in August. Our daughters were 12 and 6 when we were in the Baltics. You will definitely want to book a private tour in St. Petersburg.

Lisa

We are looking at a Baltic cruise next year but wonder whether the children (8 and 10) will enjoy it as much as previous cruises. Any thoughts?

We have booked Baltic on Celebrity Eclipse for next August and my kids will only be 4 and 7. I am sure they will be fine; St Petersburg looks intense but we are looking for a family friendly tour.

I think we're on Azura with you in August (you're doing the Fjords?). My son was in the same club as your two on Oceana in April last year.

Archived