Boston Questions

mhb1757

We are sailing out of Boston on 5/31. We are flying in a couple of days early see some of the Freedom Trail sites. We had originally planned to stay downtown, but hotel prices were awful. I made a reservation at the Hyatt Harborfront by the airport (for $130/night). Any suggestions for best way to get over to the north end appreciated. Water taxi? Shuttle back to airport then silver line bus to south station, then??

Also what would be our best bet for getting to cruise terminal? Taxi? Shuttle service? Water taxi?

Thanks

We are sailing out of Boston on 5/31. We are flying in a couple of days early see some of the Freedom Trail sites. We had originally planned to stay downtown, but hotel prices were awful. I made a reservation at the Hyatt Harborfront by the airport (for $130/night). Any suggestions for best way to get over to the north end appreciated. Water taxi? Shuttle back to airport then silver line bus to south station, then??

Also what would be our best bet for getting to cruise terminal? Taxi? Shuttle service? Water taxi?

Thanks

The MBTA ferry terminal for Logan is close to your hotel, for a quick ride across to the Aquarium area, but times are limited. Your hotel provides a shuttle to the Blue line airport stop, so you could take the Blue to the Aquarium. Short walk to North End.

Taxi from Logan to Black Falcon is about $25. Silver line bus will take you right there, but you've got to change from SL1 to SL2 at South Station.

Nice thing about Boston is that almost everything is in walking distance. But IMHO, everyone should experience the T at least once.

That's a fantastic deal for the Hyatt!

Water taxi is expensive on a per ride basis. However the Rowes Wharf Water Taxi offers a 2 day pass for $25/pp. This could work well for you. It would be possible to take the water taxi from the Hyatt directly to Black Falcon terminal if you like. The taxi can also take you directly to the North End or out to the Constitution (IMO better than walking the Freedom Trail out there) or to other points around the Boston Harbor.

The Silver Line is free from the airport terminals. You would take it to World Trade Center (the indoor stop, not the outside street stop) where you can use the escalator and elevator to go over the tracks to pick up the SL2 bus to Black Falcon Terminal.

Luggage is fine on the Silver Line.. The one step is only about 6 inches. Go to the rear area where there is more space for luggage.

However, what hotel are you booked into? The transfer to the Red Line at South Station is fine, but some of the other T stations are challenging. However, a cab from South Station to any downtown hotel would be more reasonable than any cab from the airport. The Silver Line from the airport is free.

Is luggage allowed on the Silver Line? Our cruise ends in Boston, and we're staying in a downtown hotel for the night ... I was thinking of the Silver Line to get downtown, but am not sure that our luggage would be welcome.

I called the MBTA last week to confirm that luggage is allowed on the Silver line. We will be taking it to South Station and then taking commuter rail down to RI.

Good news about luggage on the Silver Line - thanks!

I was thinking that we'd catch the Silver Line to South Station, then transfer to the Red Line and take it one stop to Downtown Crossing. From there it's about a two block walk to the hotel, which should be easy enough.

Which hotel are you staying at? You want to find a way out of Downtown Crossing that doesn't involve hauling your luggage up steps.

We're staying at a place called "Club Quarters", on Devonshire.

There aren't any escalators or elevators out of the Downtown Crossing station? :eek:

Yes there are elevators and escalators, but they can be hard to find. I did find some directions.

When you transfer via elevator from the Silver Line to the Red Line direction Alewife, try going to the middle of the train platform. Downtown Crossing is only one stop and I think the middle of the platform exit has an escalator which goes to the street. If not, try walking to the head of the train to take the escalator up to the concourse level which runs the length of the station.

In the concourse follow these directions:

If exiting, travel down the concourse to use the elevator through the glass doors and to the left of the CharlieCard Store. This elevator will take you to the lobby of 101 Arch Street. If boarding, travel to 101 Arch Street. Take the elevator in the back left corner of the lobby to the concourse.

You should have a printed map of that area of Boston. Devonshire Street is not far, but it's an area of small short streets. If you come out on Arch St, you follow the traffic direction to the first corner at Franklin, cross the intersection and go right one block to Devonshire St and make a left. Club Quarters is in the middle of the street on the left side.

The T is notorious for broken down elevators and escalators. At Downtown Crossing, there are big flights of stairs to exit the station. Even though Devonshire Street is close to Downtown Crossing, you will be hauling luggage. You may be better off taking a taxi from South Station

That's a good idea. Another option is to just take a taxi from Black Falcon. The taxi fare finder says about $10 including tip. It's a Friday morning, so it could be a bit more. It will cost $5 on the T to South Station and another $5 to the hotel.

The thing to know about the exit from the concourse into 101 Arch Street is that the escalator and elevator are actually part of the 101 Arch Street building and are not part of the T station. As I recall there is both an escalator and elevator, so if one is not working, the other probably is. The secret is to taking the time to find the correct exit in Downtown Crossing because as WELDON points out, most of the station exits involve stairs.

That's a good idea. Another option is to just take a taxi from Black Falcon. The taxi fare finder says about $10 including tip. It's a Friday morning, so it could be a bit more. It will cost $5 on the T to South Station and another $5 to the hotel.

That's a good thought ... spend ten bucks more and not have to deal with lugging the luggage around. I guess when you think of the cost of the cruise + hotels + airfare, a couple of bucks for the taxi is small change. :)

I have stayed at Club quarters several times. I would call the hotel to verify that they can store your luggage until checkin time. I would characterize this hotel as a no frills corporate hotel. It is not full service.