Catamaran Cruise & Snorkel or Boat Blast, Snorkel & Beach?

Juliayn

For spring NCL Epic cruise with 2 boys, ages 10 and 13, which would you choose?? Or is Costa Maya best day to stay on boat? We always like to stay on one day and are debating whether Ochos Rios or Costa Maya is worth seeing...we already have plans for Cozumel...thanks!

I'm a cruiser who liked Costa Maya so much, I live there part time! Great place and you should go into the town and enjoy the best swimming beach in the Western Caribbean. Perfect sandy beaches and clear shallow reef protected waters. There are shuttles into town from the port commercial area that charge $3 per person. Get out in the middle of town and stroll the malecon, the town's oceanfront boardwalk. Great shopping, restaurants and all the beach stuff you want. Snorkel and fishing boats, beach massage, paddle boards, all the fun stuff and it is half the price. Snorkel boats are $20-$30 US for example. All the restaurants and bars along the malecon work with all the local walk up tour companies, so find a place you like, pull up a lounger and enjoy. Safe and friendly little town. If you stay on the ship, at least walk into the port area at the end of the pier. Very nice place but the downtown is the place to go.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I am looking at the same two options for my cruise in April and here is what I have found so far:

1) For the catamaran tour I have read a number of complaints regarding the food and drink pricing at the Señor Frogs the tour ends at.

2) For the Boat Blast tour I have read the best part is driving the boat, the snorkeling is not great and neither is the beach club afterwards (Uvero?).

Also, on my cruise there is quite a cost difference between the two options so I'm not sure if that is a factor for you. I'm leaning towards the catamaran tour with plans to head to a nice beach afterwards (time permitting.)

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Costa Maya is a "day on the beach" port. We did go to the Mayan ruins the first time there, so we saw that part. The beaches in downtown are really nice and there are several little restaurants right on the beach as well.