Southampton to Heathrow

joefromchicago

Too close in my opinion. We disembarked this past September at 9am. Travel time to Heathrow is probably almost 2 hours. And assuming you are on an int'l flight, you need to be there at least two hours prior (depending on the class of service you are flying).

We had a similar dilemma and ending up booking a 4pm-ish flight and getting a car and driver to take us on a tour on the way up to Heathrow so we weren't rushed/stressed. We used Discover the South; much less expensive than the ship transfer and they took us wherever we wanted to go.

Stress factor is key. Why ruin the relaxation of a wonderful cruise by 'hitting the ground running' the moment you disembark?

I always build lots of time in, but then again, I have airline status so can enjoy a 3 hour wait at the airport in a lounge while I get my 'land legs' back.

Southampton was the termination of my TATL cruise and we went to a hotel from the cruise (actually via a car hire place.) The idea was to take the ferry over to the Isle of Wight and tour around there for a few hours, then drive up to London the next day, visiting friends along the way, but once I was in the hotel room, I was hit with exhaustion and ended up sleeping the whole afternoon away.

• 2 weeks later...
We used a company called West Quay which is based in Southampton. Excellent service into London. They also offer transfers to Heathrow and area tours enroute to the airport. We were impressed.

West Quay Cars and Discover the South are affiliated. Discover the South is the branch that does the tours. We wanted a tour on the way to Heathrow so we used Discover the South; if it was simply transportation we would have used WQ. Both are highly recommended on the cruisecritic UK port boards.

Thanks for the information.

We are now looking at hotels in London for just two nights before we get on the ship.

Joe

If you are looking for something in the "thick of things" you might want to check out The Royal Horseguards Hotel. I usually stay in other locations, but this seems to be a very good location for touring and I know several people who have stayed there and really enjoyed it.

The Royal Horse Guards is indeed an excellent central location and I used to stay there a lot in the late 80's. The rooms however are very small, like a ships' cabin.

Another suggestion is the St. Ermin's Hotel which has recently been refurbished.

My favourite in London is the Wyndham Grand at Chelsea Harbour but unless you are very familiar with London Transport it is a little remote if you are making a quick tourist visit.

My last suggestion would be the Bermondsey Square Hotel which is pretty centrally located but is about a 15 minute walk from the nearest tube station.

Before voyage.

Renaissance St Pancras...

two reasons...

Beautifully refurbished and while not central...two stops on the tube to the West End

In St Pancras Station ..because it is the Eurostar Terminal.. Cunard includes it as a pickup point for transfer to the ship in Southampton

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Archived