S Spirit Jan 10 [Our 1st proper cruise]

beepee1967

Hi, apologies if my posting is off normal protocol.

This will be in fact our 2nd cruise, unfortunately the 1st was a taster 4 day 'fun' cruise from Miami on Carnival which I vowed would be my last.

My better half has persuaded me to try one more.

We were told by the sales staff that this particular cruise from Barbados up to Ft Lauderdale was 'all inclusive' and totally 'informal' and 'Champagne 24 hours per day' which obviously sold itself to me.

Reading the other threads I think the sales people may have just been saying what that thought we wanted to hear.

Neither of us are at all formal but we quite understand others who see it as very much the norm and dress for occasions. In essence we don't want to embarrass ourselves with just shorts to wear if in reality it is trousers and shirts for me and a dress for her and we have to bring our own champagne :mad: .

Could anyone offer advice?

Many thanks in anticipation.

beepee,

I think that on SS 'Totally Informal' still means jackets for men at dinner & dresses for ladies, think you'd be turned away from the restaurant in shorts!

I am really envious of you.... we just got back last Sunday from the same cruise on the Whisper, our first proper one too and we had a ball. Our fellow cruisers were all great fun and we made a lot of new friends. The food ( and drinks ) were fantastic, as was the friendly service of all the staff.

Enjoy :cool:

Appreciate that BB.

From reading the threads I rather thought it might be the case.

I'll have to pop into M&S and get myself a suit :-(

Is it shorts during the day at the pool bar/restaurant?

Just trying to get a fix on my suitcase packing.

Are Polo shirts acceptable?

Many thanks again for your advice.

beepee,

No problem ;) Personally, having read some of the threads about dress code, I admit to stressing a bit and spending a lot of money on clothes I didn't even wear.

Yes, shorts and polo shirts are worn in the daytime, not too many vests though lol. The 'Informal' nights were trousers, nice shirts & jackets for men and dresses or trousers & nice tops for ladies. Don't think you will need a suit, a jacket will be fine. 'Casual' evenings were much the same but without the jacket. It was all very relaxed though and I don't think there were any people judging other's dress sense, not in our company anyway!

Anything else you'd like to know, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks BB, I feel a lot less stressed now.

I do have a couple of linen jackets that will fit the bill.

I've been scouring youtube for videos anyone might have posted but they all seem a bit sales orientated so wasn't sure how typical they were.

Well that's it, just get Xmas and New year out of the way and we're off!!!

Thanks ever so much.

All the best.

:)

Welcome to the CC boards, Beepee1967. Ballyboffin is right. You'll be absolutely fine if you follow Silversea's dress code descriptions. There's always much heated discussion here regarding formal nights, but the fact is that you'll be comfortable with either a dark suit or tux. No further stress is necessary. And if you prefer not to bring a suit at all, you can dine on formal nights at La Terrazza in Informal dress (jacket, no tie) - be sure to make your reservation on the first day, since it sometimes books up.

Daytime dress is neatly casual. Shorts, polo shirts, etc., onboard during the day. When you're at the pool, you can have lunch right there at the grill in your swimsuit. Or you can pull on shorts and a cover-up and go down to La Terrazza. (And if you like, the Terrazza waiter will bring your selections up to the pool if you'd rather eat there). Of course, you'll probably want sturdy walking shoes and practical, casual clothing when you're off on excursions in this warm climate.

I've always found that most passengers just dress neatly and tastefully. It's not a fashion show, and it's not at all about designer labels. The fact that you're concerned about appropriate dress is a good indication that you'll both be just fine.

My very best wishes for your first Silversea cruise.

Hi, apologies if my posting is off normal protocol.

Reading the other threads I think the sales people may have just been saying what that thought we wanted to hear.

Could anyone offer advice?.

It is possible that your travel agent did not really know Silversea as he would be totally wrong to tell you something that is totally not true! I mentioned once on this board that I planned to wear a black jacket with a white shirt and tie on a formal night and some of the cruise critic posters went ballistic since I was not planning to wear a suit. They said we should eat in our cabin if we could not into Terrazza on formal nights! So I would certainly say do not plan on wearing shorts or jeans for dinner.

If you don't mind drinking Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top, you won't need to take your own Champagne. If you prefer something more refined you can buy it onboard. Or you can do what we do, which is drink the Heidsieck now and then, but also buy a couple of bottles of the decent stuff.:D

Interesting that you picked Silversea for your first 'proper' cruise. We did too. Some of my acquaintances who cruise regularly had never even heard of Silversea when I booked our first and then went to them for advice on dress code etc. So that's when I found the CC boards. I chose Silversea for my first cruise because I'd been looking at SS brochures since the late 1990's and had told myself that if I ever went on a cruise (thought it wasn't my cup of tea after seeing what most cruise lines offer), it would be with SS. What was it about Silversea that you made you choose them?

As for dress code, I think 'Seafairer' has summed it up nicely.

Welcome beepee -- I just got off the Whisper yesterday, Ft. Lauderdale/Barbados, and will be with you on 1/10 for Barbados to Ft. Lauderdale. If you make your dinner reservations as soon as you get on, you can find out the one formal night and dine in La Terrazza or Hot Rocks. You will have a couple of nights as "jackets required" but the same navy blue blazer works for all nights!

Will also sail on 1/10 from BGI --> FLL; our 1st SS cruise! For dress code tips, I found the SS website helpful: Go to 'My Voyage', log-in, click on 'General Information' then 'Packing'.

44 days and counting! :)

• 4 weeks later...
It is possible that your travel agent did not really know Silversea as he would be totally wrong to tell you something that is totally not true! I mentioned once on this board that I planned to wear a black jacket with a white shirt and tie on a formal night and some of the cruise critic posters went ballistic since I was not planning to wear a suit. They said we should eat in our cabin if we could not into Terrazza on formal nights! So I would certainly say do not plan on wearing shorts or jeans for dinner.

I don't think I will be enjoying to many nights dining with anyone who would go ballastic because I was ONLY wearing a suit and tie, something I've managed to avoid barring funerals for about the last 20 years. I must confess I am an incurable casual dresser but I do totally understand that fellow travellers look forward to dressing up and I really would not want to spoil that, good luck to them :)

They said we should eat in our cabin if we could not into Terrazza on formal nights! So I would certainly say do not plan on wearing shorts or jeans for dinner.

I hope I don't bump into them, I'll bend over backwards to accommodate other peoples wishes but I certainly know what my response would be to someone telling me to eat in my cabin. Accepting the fact that I wont be doing any formal dining :o

Welcome to the CC boards, Beepee1967. Ballyboffin is right. You'll be absolutely fine if you follow Silversea's dress code descriptions. There's always much heated discussion here regarding formal nights, but the fact is that you'll be comfortable with either a dark suit or tux. No further stress is necessary. And if you prefer not to bring a suit at all, you can dine on formal nights at La Terrazza in Informal dress (jacket, no tie) - be sure to make your reservation on the first day, since it sometimes books up.

Daytime dress is neatly casual. Shorts, polo shirts, etc., onboard during the day. When you're at the pool, you can have lunch right there at the grill in your swimsuit. Or you can pull on shorts and a cover-up and go down to La Terrazza. (And if you like, the Terrazza waiter will bring your selections up to the pool if you'd rather eat there). Of course, you'll probably want sturdy walking shoes and practical, casual clothing when you're off on excursions in this warm climate.

I've always found that most passengers just dress neatly and tastefully. It's not a fashion show, and it's not at all about designer labels. The fact that you're concerned about appropriate dress is a good indication that you'll both be just fine.

My very best wishes for your first Silversea cruise.

Much appreciated Seafairer

If you don't mind drinking Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top, you won't need to take your own Champagne. If you prefer something more refined you can buy it onboard. Or you can do what we do, which is drink the Heidsieck now and then, but also buy a couple of bottles of the decent stuff.:D

Interesting that you picked Silversea for your first 'proper' cruise. We did too. Some of my acquaintances who cruise regularly had never even heard of Silversea when I booked our first and then went to them for advice on dress code etc. So that's when I found the CC boards. I chose Silversea for my first cruise because I'd been looking at SS brochures since the late 1990's and had told myself that if I ever went on a cruise (thought it wasn't my cup of tea after seeing what most cruise lines offer), it would be with SS. What was it about Silversea that you made you choose them?

As for dress code, I think 'Seafairer' has summed it up nicely.

Anything that fizzes does me just fine :)

It was my partner who was recovering from a minor illness who managed to catch me unawares when I was feeling a little more concerned for her than normal. All I heard was 'they say you can have champagne' at which point I asked 'when do we set off'.

Actually the very minor illness [flu] was the reason. We had only been telling the story of our one previous 4 day trip on a Carnival 'Fun Cruise'/nightmare to some friends of ours a few days earlier and both couples piped up immediately to try SS. Neither knew the other couple had been cruising with SS so we thought we would give it one more try at some point.

A couple of days and a couple of sneezes later and a few pulls on my heart strings as my little invalid was browsing the web and here we go!!

Will also sail on 1/10 from BGI --> FLL; our 1st SS cruise! For dress code tips, I found the SS website helpful: Go to 'My Voyage', log-in, click on 'General Information' then 'Packing'.

44 days and counting! :)

Even less days and counting!!!

Thanks for the tip and I hope you have a lovely trip :)

Archived