Sydneys NEW White Bay Terminal

Hi all

Cruise Industry News reports that the new White Bay Terminal at Sydney has been trialled with the arrival of P&O Pacific Pearl yesterday.

I'll find the link to the full article so you can read all about it.

Gae

Sydney Ports Corporation’s new $57-million White Bay Cruise Terminal has been trialled this morning with the arrival of P&O cruise liner, the Pacific Pearl.

The 63-thousand tonne ship berthed at 7am with almost 2,000 passengers disembarking for the first time through the state-of-the-art terminal.

Roads and Ports Minister Duncan Gay said this milestone highlights the NSW Government’s commitment to meeting the huge boom in demand for cruise in Sydney.

“We are just coming to the close of what has been another record Sydney cruise season with 265 ship visits and we have already taken more than 280 bookings for next season.

“Given the unprecedented growth in cruising, this new terminal is very timely indeed - its vast open plan arrivals and departures halls are designed to cater for 2,400 passengers at a time, Mr Gay said.

“We have also constructed a dedicated terminal access road to ensure minimal impact on local streets by port traffic.

“The critical elements of size, layout and capability to enforce modern maritime security requirements were already in place so when you add the ability to use the neighbouring White Bay 4 to simultaneously host a second cruise ship, White Bay has a lot going for I, meaning Sydney can now comfortably host up to three cruise ships alongside at any one time.

“The public will also have pedestrian and cycling access to the waterfront adjacent to the Terminal when there are no ship activities – that’s the first time in 45 years the public has been able to access this waterfront.”

Mr Gay said that when construction of the terminal began in March last year, consultation with all key stakeholders was a major focus.

“Leichhardt Council, local businesses and community members, along with the cruise industry, government agencies and tourism organizations, were all involved as the terminal progressed through planning, design and construction," he said.

“This was done through a wide range of general and targeted pr ocesses including structured industry and community workshops. Minister Gay said White Bay has always played a big role in Sydney’s economy, its commercial shipping history dating back to the mid - 19 th century, handling just about everything from timber a nd paper, coal, sugar, wheat and cement to cars and containers.”

“Now as a cruise terminal, it will continue contributing to Sydney’s economy, serving not only as a cruise terminal, but as a part - time function centre serving community events on non - ship days. Minister Gay said the NSW Government is now turning its focus to an upgrade of the Overseas Passenger Terminal – a $30 - million Masterplan is now under review.

(2:00 p.m. EDT) -- Sydney's new White Bay Cruise Terminal officially opens this Friday (Apr. 19) after a successful turnaround of its first arrival, P&O Cruises Australia's Pacific Pearl, on Monday (Apr. 15).

The purpose-built AU$57 million (US$58 million) terminal, in the inner-west suburb of Rozelle, replaces the temporary Wharf 5 Darling Harbour, a site known as Barangaroo. From this week, White Bay becomes the city's main passenger facility for ships that can fit under the Harbour Bridge -- approximately half of the vessels that visit Sydney. Taller ships will continue to have priority at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, in prime position opposite the Sydney Opera House.

Described as a “trial” by Sydney Ports Corporation, the first day was widely applauded for the ease and efficiency of passenger processing. However, some passengers slammed its out-of-city location and lack of public transport and long-term parking.

P&O and Princess Cruises will be the main users of the terminal for the next six months, with more lines to follow when the local summer cruise season starts in October. Tammy Marshall, P&O Australia's Senior Vice President, said it was “a promising start” for the new base of the company's fleet.

“Passengers commented on how smooth the disembarkation and embarkation process was for Pacific Pearl's inaugural turnaround. We think it was a good first day for the new facility,” she said.

Marshall played down concerns about the location, which the company had previously described as “suboptimal” when the development was approved in 2011.

“At 17 kilometres (10 miles) from Sydney Airport, the distance to White Bay is roughly equivalent to the temporary facility at Barangaroo, Darling Harbour and, if at all, would involve only a few minutes more travelling time,” Marshall added.

For guests arriving at the airport, cruise lines offer transfers by coach to the new terminal. P&O charges AU$22 per person each way, as well as post-cruise transfers from the ship to Central Railway Station for AU$12 per person.

The nearest train station to White Bay, Central, is not walking distance, which has angered many Australians, who used to walk 10 minutes from Wynyard station to Barangaroo. Buses are also tricky, without a bus stop at the site -- the closest is at Roberts Street, Rozelle. Taxis are also available -- but at a price.

There are positives: the modern building is a vast improvement on the marquee at Barangaroo; a newly built road provides good access for cars, with clear signage from all directions; and the facilities at White Bay are better.

“Greater space is the big improvement,” said Marshall. “There are more short-term parking spots than at Barangaroo. There is a viewing area at ground level and there's an excellent coffee shop/snack bar. Toilets are also superior to Barangaroo in most respects.”

Cruise Critic members welcomed the new terminal. On the Message Boards thied said: "Looks great and well done Sydney, Hope Brisbanes new cruise terminal is not to far away."

And on our Facebook page Wendy London said: "If it's as efficient and friendly as the temporary marquis terminal, it will be a huge success. But -- as you point out, it's half-a-white-elephant, given that tall ships can't sail under the bridge, and as ships get bigger -- and with the widening of the Panama Canal ensuring that mega-ships will increasingly come to this part of the world, it becomes a bit obsolete already. The further problem is forcing more/bigger ships back into Circular Quay which is a huge traffic and congestion problem. Securing berths at Garden Island was a great move by Carnival, but there needs to be far more access. Sydney is already an almighty bottleneck -- just remember the day back in March 2009 when there were 4 ships in port!!"

On P&O Australia's Facebook page, many people were less complimentary. A passenger booked on an upcoming cruise criticised the line for accepting an under-serviced facility. “If it was a new airport, I bet you wouldn't use it until every thing was in place. I would suggest you put a bit more pressure on the State Government to address these issues as soon as possible.”

Anthony Scott criticised the port authority. “How silly. A major transport hub and no direct access to public transport or long-term parking. Great planning Sydney Ports Corp.”

It was the disembarking passengers from the Pacific Pearl who were happiest. “Not one problem today at White Bay,” Rachel Mawer reported on Monday. “Went very well for being the first passengers to use it.”

Suzanne Reynolds said: “All was great including the new drop-off point. The city was at its finest.” Louise Collison added: “Nice facility. Easy exit.”

The next ship scheduled to arrive is P&O's Pacific Jewel on Friday (19 April).

It's a good terminal .......just in a lousy position. Eve the staff working there are bitching about getting there.

Whatever were they thinking not providing some public transport for the new terminal!

Too many chiefs and not enough indians (not) planning this me thinks! :eek:

BTW gbenjo I thought you must have been away cruising as I haven't seen you on these boards for a little while!

I was looking at a return cruise from Auckland that gives us a day in Sydney at the White Terminal.

At other times when we have had a day in Sydney it was at the OPT.

What can you walk to or visit from White Bay?

I was looking at a return cruise from Auckland that gives us a day in Sydney at the White Terminal.

At other times when we have had a day in Sydney it was at the OPT.

What can you walk to or visit from White Bay?

White Bay, being a former industrial wharf, does not have the attractions of OPT or the former Barabgroo wharf. It is over 1.5 kilometre walk to the nearest bus stop. Then it would be a 40 minute ride into the CBD. P&O offer a shuttle from White Bay to Central railway, one way only, for $12 per person. The taxi will cost approx $40. :mad:

To get into the CBD from White Bay, by bus, takes only a few minutes over the Anzac Bridge (outside of peak times). A taxi would cost no way near $40.00. More like $10 or $15 depending on where you were going in the CBD. I do this trip by bus everyday (in peak time).

To get into the CBD from White Bay, by bus, takes only a few minutes over the Anzac Bridge (outside of peak times). A taxi would cost no way near $40.00. More like $10 or $15 depending on where you were going in the CBD. I do this trip by bus everyday (in peak time).

But you know where you are going and can direct the taxi driver. As a visitor , I have been stung by drivers who know that I do not know the City....and thats from the ones that can speak English.:rolleyes:

But you know where you are going and can direct the taxi driver. As a visitor , I have been stung by drivers who know that I do not know the City....and thats from the ones that can speak English.:rolleyes:

So true, taxi drivers quite often take the long /slow way to maximise a fare. A friend was charged the total fare per person (3 in the cab together) in Sydney, stupidly they paid.:D

“The public will also have pedestrian and cycling access to the waterfront adjacent to the Terminal when there are no ship activities – that’s the first time in 45 years the public has been able to access this waterfront.”

I drove up to the gates last Sunday but they were locked.

I wonder if there is another entrance for pedestrians?

It's so close to the city that you wouldn't need to direct the taxi driver. There is only one way to go to the city - plus big signs being a major thoroughfare.

It's so close to the city that you wouldn't need to direct the taxi driver. There is only one way to go to the city - plus big signs being a major thoroughfare.

True but if you do not know the city and need to go to the airport, there are several ways to go and the cheapest is probably avoiding going over the Pyrmont bridge. :D

Whatever were they thinking not providing some public transport for the new terminal!

Too many chiefs and not enough indians (not) planning this me thinks! :eek:

BTW gbenjo I thought you must have been away cruising as I haven't seen you on these boards for a little while!

Hi Gaechann Yes we should have been on the Norwegian Jewel at right now heading for the Panama Canal but unfortunately my wife has a couple of bulging discs in her back which are causing her problems so we have had to cancel our trip. Hopefully we can reschedule for next year. The season for us at the OPT has finished so looking forward to October when it all starts again....with all those new ships:D:D

I'd say that cruiselines will provide shuttles for passengers in Port for the day

I doubt it. ............But hey how cool would it be if there was a ferry from White Elephant Bay to Darling Harbour and Circular Quay... Maybe one of the private ferry companies will seize the opportunity

I doubt it. ............But hey how cool would it be if there was a ferry from White Elephant Bay to Darling Harbour and Circular Quay... Maybe one of the private ferry companies will seize the opportunity

Now thats a good idea. Thats just what they do in third world countries..:D:D

from cruise ship (top right corner) to CBD.

Port Louis , Mauritius

5011597-arrive_by_the_red_ship_step_over_the_others_Port_Louis.jpg

5011598-FORGET_about_the_port_ferry_Port_Louis.jpg

5011600-FORGET_about_the_port_ferry_Port_Louis.jpg

So true, taxi drivers quite often take the long /slow way to maximise a fare. A friend was charged the total fare per person (3 in the cab together) in Sydney, stupidly they paid.:D

This is all true but there is only ONE way into the CBD from White Bay and that is over the Anzac Bridge, the CBD is at the end of the brige.

True but if you do not know the city and need to go to the airport, there are several ways to go and the cheapest is probably avoiding going over the Pyrmont bridge. :D

The Pyrmont Bridge was closed many years ago. The only bridge is the Anzac Bridge and it is the fastest way as it joins onto the tunnels which wizz you straight to the airport. All well signed.

The Pyrmont Bridge was closed many years ago. The only bridge is the Anzac Bridge and it is the fastest way as it joins onto the tunnels which wizz you straight to the airport. All well signed.

As the bridge is closed, it is definately best avoided.:D

Now thats a good idea. Thats just what they do in third world countries..:D:D

from cruise ship (top right corner) to CBD.

Port Louis , Mauritius

5011597-arrive_by_the_red_ship_step_over_the_others_Port_Louis.jpg

5011598-FORGET_about_the_port_ferry_Port_Louis.jpg

5011600-FORGET_about_the_port_ferry_Port_Louis.jpg

Not quite third world countries. Don't know if you have ever sailed out of Venice and arrived at the terminal by water taxi.....very impressive.....that's where I got the idea.

Not quite third world countries. Don't know if you have ever sailed out of Venice and arrived at the terminal by water taxi.....very impressive.....that's where I got the idea.

It must be difficult for anyone in a wheelchair or with mobility issues.:D

Archived