Reminder: Copyright Infringement & Copying blocks of text from other sites

LauraS

• Administrators

From our Community Guidelines:

"The posting of blocks of text obtained from anywhere on the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, Facebook and other social media sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. However, linking via url to the information is allowed.

The one exception to this would be Cruise Line press releases. You may post these word for word on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source."

Furthermore, it really does a disservice to the CC community. I, for one would appreciate being told that an announcement was made over on FB or the blog about a new ship feature, itinerary, future plans, new builds, new home ports, policy changes, etc.

With the new policy in place, it takes away one of the reasons that I am here - I might as well stick with FB or Carnival's own boards and not participate here.

Why reduce CC to only reviews and snarky people attacking each other - soon that's all that will be left.

So I am assuming that post #2 (posted after this reminder) from this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551934

is allowed to include the copy and paste from a well known website (Carnival) because the copyright for that site

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Copyright.aspx

is not updated to include 2012?

Maybe the issue here is that cruisecritic and its admins are vehemently opposed to SOPA/PIPA, and are demonstrating how far-reaching and ridiculous that legislation is by removing all or nearly all posts that have even a whiff of a chance of falling under that legislation. It would be nice to know if that was indeed the case, but maybe that is exactly their point. Some web sites shut down for the day in protest, some put a lot of info out about the legislation, some put up splash screens warning about SOPA/PIPA before going onto the site with no interruption... Maybe cruisecritic is doing something different and decided to operate the site under the proposed legislation just to test the waters and gauge our reaction???

If that is what happened...how do you feel about SOPA/PIPA? :(:(:(

Maybe the issue here is that cruisecritic and its admins are vehemently opposed to SOPA/PIPA, and are demonstrating how far-reaching and ridiculous that legislation is by removing all or nearly all posts that have even a whiff of a chance of falling under that legislation. It would be nice to know if that was indeed the case, but maybe that is exactly their point. Some web sites shut down for the day in protest, some put a lot of info out about the legislation, some put up splash screens warning about SOPA/PIPA before going onto the site with no interruption... Maybe cruisecritic is doing something different and decided to operate the site under the proposed legislation just to test the waters and gauge our reaction???

If that is what happened...how do you feel about SOPA/PIPA? :(:(:(

I thought about this and don't think so, or I think they would've mentioned it in the thread. Also, it would not be applied as selectively as it is. I think it has more to do with JH and FB.

It is going beyond though. As I mentioned before, I pasted block text from something that was buried in a John Heald statement earlier today. It was deleted. Shortly thereafter, this thread was created. Fair enough. No pasting block quotes from other sites.

Next I summarized the comments and provided a citation to the source - perfectly legal for citing the work of copyrighted material - there was no quote contained at all. This seems to be allowed by the language posted in this thread - still got deleted with a reminder notice sent to me - which told me to just provide a link to the cite, which absolutely follows what is said here and that got deleted.

The policy just does not make sense to me. If we post information that originated on a website without even quoting it, it seems we are at risk of being in violation.

More confusing yet is that without anybody responding to help us understand, the appearance is that things are being selectively deleted even when they follow the guidelines as written.

Somebody please enlighten us.

It has been my experience with other forums on CC, that once one of the Admins states something, they very rarely come back and answer questions or clarify. My belief is that it leaves them leeway to selectively pick and choose what gets deleted and what is allowed to stay. But, at others have said, it is their board and they can do as they please, it just makes it very confusing on our part.

It has been my experience with other forums on CC, that once one of the Admins states something, they very rarely come back and answer questions or clarify. My belief is that it leaves them leeway to selectively pick and choose what gets deleted and what is allowed to stay. But, at others have said, it is their board and they can do as they please, it just makes it very confusing on our part.

I do believe you have hit the nail on the head. ;)

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I do understand this, but a little more clarification would be greatly appreciated.

How are we 54 posts in without a response from either an Admin or a host?? See this is the problem with cc and why it's getting a bad rep. How are people supposed to play within the rules without knowing the darn rules? All they are doing is adding more membership to that other FB site. Sad really.

How are we 54 posts in without a response from either an Admin or a host?? See this is the problem with cc and why it's getting a bad rep. How are people supposed to play within the rules without knowing the darn rules? All they are doing is adding more membership to that other FB site. Sad really.

yup

How will that "other FB site" get more members without CC? :rolleyes:

Guest LoveMyBoxer
How will that "other FB site" get more members without CC? :rolleyes:

CC has a face book site like this??? Still waiting for a response. Thank you

• Administrators

Hi!

Let me attempt to clarify.

Copying text from any website has never been allowed. We've had this guideline in place for many many years (since inception, really).

You are allowed to link to other websites as long as the context falls within the rest of our Community Guidelines (example: no advertising, promotion, selling, etc).

You are certainly allowed to link to information, such as what John Heald posts on his blog. I understand that it is difficult to link to individual Facebook posts. However, that is a Facebook functionality issue which I won't apologize for :)

We do allow links to Facebook pages, as long as they meet our current guidelines. The information posted about Facebook GROUPS on our ROLL CALLS is specific to members who are creating Facebook groups for our ROLL CALLS. That isn't allowed.

Hope this helps,

Laura

• Administrators
Is it to avoid the bickering between FB and CC or CCL's JH and CC??

Damage Control??

I'll be happy to answer this one.

Cruise Critic is not bickering with John Heald or Carnival Cruise Lines at all. We have a great relationship with John and Carnival. Heck, I talk to their Community Manager at least once per week, and when we're in the same city we get together and talk ship! (Sorry couldn't help it).

We're well aware that there are some people who don't like Cruise Critic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sometimes these people post "in the name of" Cruise Critic. This type of behavior is inherent in the online community world, is expected from time to time and quite frankly, we don't like to waste our time over it.

I just want you all to know that we have a wonderful working relationship with Carnival, and John as well.

Laura

Hi!

Copying text from any website has never been allowed. We've had this guideline in place for many many years (since inception, really).

You are allowed to link to other websites as long as the context falls within the rest of our Community Guidelines (example: no advertising, promotion, selling, etc).

You are certainly allowed to link to information, such as what John Heald posts on his blog. I understand that it is difficult to link to individual Facebook posts. However, that is a Facebook functionality issue which I won't apologize for :)

We do allow links to Facebook pages, as long as they meet our current guidelines. The information posted about Facebook GROUPS on our ROLL CALLS is specific to members who are creating Facebook groups for our ROLL CALLS. That isn't allowed.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Thanks for clarifying, unfortunately this still doesn't say why posts that provided a link to Heald's FB page were deleted - just yesterday, so Im still a bit confused.

Hi!

Hope this helps,

Laura

Copying text is never allowed? I have seen members on here quote JH as if they are quoting the bible. How is that happening so often if it's never been allowed? I don't mind rules as long as one actually enforces them.

• Administrators
Copying text is never allowed? I have seen members on here quote JH as if they are quoting the bible. How is that happening so often if it's never been allowed? I don't mind rules as long as one actually enforces them.

We're not perfect; but we're working toward ensuring our guidelines are followed. Hence, the reason for this posting.

As always, we appreciate the help of our members. If you see something, feel free to use the Report a Post icon in the upper right hand corner of each posting.

Archived