Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Might have been 18:30 but I went along when it opened to cancel a 21:30 booking and the maitre said if we were willing to eat straight away he'd fit us in so (obviously) we took him up on his offer.

As regards my "upbeat assessment," my view is that some people are too quick to moan and during my recent cruise, on occasion I was embarassed by the way a (very) few guests spoke to the staff (who work so hard) if something wasn't "just so."

However much you may pay for something, perfection is not attainable; at least in this life. In any event it was good enough for me and I'm planning my next trip already!

Are you "on board" at the moment Orpington?

R

Last edited by Swyre; August 22nd, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyre View Post

Are you "on board" at the moment Orpington?

R
No. Much as I would like to be on board, my next cruise is on Mariner on 2o November. Roll on!

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, the staff on any ship work very hard. I have seen this behavior on Crystal as well and on Regent. Some people never learned the words please or thank you or may I request whatever.

You get more bees with honey than you get with vinegar.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
10,000+ Club

Definitely agree. The rudeness I've seen by passengers is astounding!

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old August 23rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default My take

We have cruised on Crystal since 1992 with very few exceptions. One Seabourn in the mix and an Oceania, RCCL, HAL, and a now defunct Royal. Last August we were on Navigator to Alaska. This was our third to Alaska, the first on Princess in 1987. We went on Crystal once. Our Navigator to Alaska was wonderful. Huge room, wonderful bed, good food (especailly the Italian casual dining) and shore excursions. We did miss the cocktail hour entertainment as is present in the Crystal Ave. Saloon. The only real complaint we had was the lack of a forward observation area on the Navigartor, but we had a wonderful time and a fantastic shore ex to Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. If you are going because of the itinerary I would certiainly try the Navigator. We had "cheap seats" forward and the accommodations were wonderful. Lots of friendly faces and a good place to mingle for the block party. Loved it all. joyous
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUgrad View Post
My husband and I are considering the Navigator for a San Francisco to Vancouver itinerary of Alaska. Since our lines of choice,Seabourn and Crystal do not go to Alaska and Silversea fell below our expectations our T.A. suggested the Navigator. She suggested this sailing which is in early May stating that the glaciers will have less melt and we would not have as long a flight. We like the fact that RSSC is not formal, but how does food and service compare? Entertainment is not that important.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have never cruised on Navigator but did cruise Alaska on Mariner some years ago. Highlights were evenings sailing peacefully along sitting in the observation lounge. Without that facility I have always felt that a major part of the Alaskan adventure would be missing. However your thoughts, joyous, make me wonder if I am overstating the benefits of that forward Obs lounge.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default No

The benefits of that forward Obs lounge were greatly missed. But I braved the cold and got up front outside with my trusty binocs and little camera. The wonderful shore excursion and the sights the Captain showed us from the **** more than made up for it. And, we were determined to have a wonderful time and not compare too much. joyous
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrpingtonT View Post
I have never cruised on Navigator but did cruise Alaska on Mariner some years ago. Highlights were evenings sailing peacefully along sitting in the observation lounge. Without that facility I have always felt that a major part of the Alaskan adventure would be missing. However your thoughts, joyous, make me wonder if I am overstating the benefits of that forward Obs lounge.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Funny, sometimes I think I'm the only person who thinks that the Navigator aft observation lounge is really nice.

Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
RSSC Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I really liked the outdoor area behind this lounge with the heat lamps. Although smokers are allowed on one side, it did not pose too much of a problem, They have very comfortable patio furniture out there (sofas, easy chairs, and coffee tables). My only suggestion is to have more seating arrangements
in this part of the ship. Sail away from Skagway was breathtaking!

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgap View Post
I really liked the outdoor area behind this lounge with the heat lamps. Although smokers are allowed on one side, it did not pose too much of a problem, They have very comfortable patio furniture out there (sofas, easy chairs, and coffee tables). My only suggestion is to have more seating arrangements in this part of the ship. Sail away from Skagway was breathtaking!
Do you mean that smoking is allowed on a portion of a side of the ship or do you mean a 50% split?

Some ships limit on deck smoking to a very small portion of the ship, but any more than that would be a deal-breaker.

Last edited by gillianrose; August 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

gillianrose, Not speaking for forgap, but like Wendy, I too have loved that area behind Galileo's (with the heatlamps) on the Navigator for years, last time on a fall cruise to Canada, where there are now comfortable seating areas. No smoking allowed in that area he/she spoke about, the sternmost part of the ship. The smokers are confined to maybe 1/3 of the area, way off to one side, same as the other ships in the Horizon's lounges. I remember on my second cruise having chocaholic tea out there (tables and chairs there then) leaving St. Petersburg, Russia, and in Alaska before that. Makes me want to go back to those itineraries once again.

Joyous, I also remember in the early years when the Navigator the Observation Lounge was at the bow end of the ship, where the gym is now located.

It was underused as an Observation Lounge. Unlike the other 2 ships which came later, there is a wide area outside in front of it toward the bow where people would gather for the best views in cold places like Alaska. So, sitting in the Observation Lounge back then, you could not see what was "coming", all you could see was people. The two later ships put the Observation Lounge right up above everything, no people to obstruct the views.

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Ah yes, the heat lamps! Great in Alaska!

Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
RSSC Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:58 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
My husband and I are considering the Navigator for a San Francisco to Vancouver itinerary of Alaska. Since our lines of choice,Seabourn and Crystal do not go to Alaska and Silversea fell below our expectations our T.A. suggested the Navigator. She suggested this sailing which is in early May stating that the glaciers will have less melt and we would not have as long a flight. We like the fact that RSSC is not formal, but how does food and service compare? Entertainment is not that important.
I have not sailed Regent yet but we faced a similar decision a few years ago. In our case, we wanted to get away from the heat of Texas and rather than going all the way to say Northern Europe we thought it would be good to return to Alaska. Since Crystal was not sailing there and Seabourn doesn't we decided to go with another line and in that case it was Silversea.

In the end, only you can answer your questions about items such as food. No one else can even if they have sailed both lines. What you like they might not and what they like you might not like. The reality is sometimes food varies from cruise ship to cruise ship within the same line or even from voyage to voyage on the same ship and line. The same is true of most things. What one likes another doesn't. Ask 10 people who have sailed both lines what they think and answers will vary.

To me the driver of Alaska should be the itinerary and a lot of the experience will be on land and in other areas such as the Glaciers.

I would just say to myself do we want to do this itinerary and if we do the good news (there is always good news in most things when it comes to cruising) is that it will now give you a chance to experience another cruise line. To me, it's always good to try other lines from time to time. You might have a great time and then this will be another line you will sail with from time to time. You may not care for it and then you'll have to decide was it the ship or the line but now you'll know.

I come back to the fact that if the driver for you both is to visit Alaska and you like the itinerary then I would make the decision based on that.

We love Alaska. We have sailed there many times across several ships within the same lines and across several cruise lines. Your experience in Alaska can vary and like the cruise lines you can't always predict that either. Weather can be a big factor and no one can predict that. A month or so ago they had record heat. Next year same time/same place it could be record rain. You just never know.

After sailing Alaska many previous times across a wide range of months, in 2012 we were there in April on the Serenity. This was the first time we sailed there in April and we were the first ship of the season by a couple of weeks. Had the most extraordinary weather. We did have snow flurries in one port and snow on the ground in another but also sunny days in a couple of others along with the best and I mean best weather we ever had at Glacier Bay. Did I expect the latter? No. If I would have asked others what it would have been like they would have said not good. Was it our best ever day seeing the Glacier? Yes. These are some of the photos.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AqQs3TEBbc...0/DSC_4194.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0UdF6OlPUI...0/DSC_4195.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mTmVft3Zsv...0/DSC_4196.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eJ_N-HHz2d...0/DSC_4203.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O0ERXiARuI...0/DSC_4216.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-1qxcrjPjkY...0/DSC_4218.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hpbvmHFOiu...0/DSC_4223.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6SmSbcsSSB...0/DSC_4249.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hGWSm6-Xq5...0/DSC_4278.jpg

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your own.

Good luck with your decision.

One piece of advice if you do go. I know this is easier said but when we sail another cruise line we try our very best not to make any comparisons to other cruises until the cruise is over. We know that all cruises even on the same cruise line are not the same. Items such as weather, the passenger mix and even other factors such as who is your room stewardess makes a difference. On top of that there will be differences. Some you'll like. Others you might not. And others you might be indifferent. But we just focus on making the cruise the best we can. In fact, we are glad there are differences because otherwise there would be no real choice out there. Then as we travel home or even a week or two later we will reflect on the cruise and that is where we might make our comparisons. We find that way we get the most out of the cruise. Just my two cents. Well, maybe three cents. Good luck.

Keith

Last edited by Keith1010; August 25th, 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

KEITH, as always a good, common sense response. I really enjoy your posts.

Thank you

tourguide97

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have been on seabourn which I love and I did the cruise you are considering this past May
We are gold on regent so are quite familiar. Loved the cruise! It was early so no children-bonus! True glaciers nor wildlife not as active as later

Seabourn is a tick better than regent for food and service. Having said that we were lucky enough to get the BEST butler ever!!!

I say go!