Tipping

midwestchick

What's the proper amount/percentage for tipping when you have private excursions? I can't remember what we did last year but I know we tipped well. I'm trying to calculate the amount of Euros I'll have to order tomorrow.

Also, I thought I had read somewhere on here to check your bill at restaurants when you're eating away from the ship because many times, the tip is included. Is that correct? DH does not recall if it was on the bill and we always ended up tipping. Maybe we were double tipping??????

What's the proper amount/percentage for tipping when you have private excursions? I can't remember what we did last year but I know we tipped well. I'm trying to calculate the amount of Euros I'll have to order tomorrow.

i base it on length of tour. in $4 i do from $5 to $10 if a tour of 6 plus hours.

Also, I thought I had read somewhere on here to check your bill at restaurants when you're eating away from the ship because many times, the tip is included. Is that correct? DH does not recall if it was on the bill and we always ended up tipping. Maybe we were double tipping??????

I look at the bill plus ask.. if it says ' service charge' that is a tip. but I do make sure and ask . i have been told that they will voer charge you or add on something you did not order. so look but in most cases found tip not added in.

Edited by ellbon

Tipping practices vary significantly from country to country... Google (ie; "Gratuities In (the country you are visiting)") is your friend...

In my experience, restaurant menus will usually tell you if pricing includes service or if a service charge will be added as a separate line item... And if you are still unsure either before or after looking at the menu or your bill, there is no harm in asking about the restaurant's practice... Those same internet searches will also provide you with guidance as to tipping in restaurants (and at other food establishments) under multiple possible scenarios...

Ultimately, anything above or below the norms is at your sole discretion based upon your personal assessment of the service and/or experience... There is never one right or "fits all" answer...

Bear in mind in Europe, if you pay by credit card, the process that you will go through to authorise the transaction will involve you putting your PIN number in and being asked if you want to add a gratuity (yes/no) on the hand held terminal

Last time I was in Europe, most places would have a service charge, so I just rounded up to the closest full Euro. Do search each place you plan to visit and look carefully at the bill like others said. My motto is when in doubt if tip is expected leave at least a little, but don't stress over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bear in mind in Europe, if you pay by credit card, the process that you will go through to authorise the transaction will involve you putting your PIN number in and being asked if you want to add a gratuity (yes/no) on the hand held terminal

my American pin card is different. i did not have to add the pin number but i was asked each time if the amount is ok. i love the hand held terminal as you know the server can not cheat you as i have heard stories about that.

Tipping does vary tremendously across countries. For private tours in Italy, I generally tip 5-10 € per person in my party depending on length of tour and the quality of the service. For restaurants, just a few € is all that's expected if service charge is on the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many places are service complete. No tip expected. In some countries, they will addd a tip to your bill. That is common in UK...10-12% is the usual amount. In Framce, Italy, and Spain leave the breakage.. A few small coins are a sign that you were happy. People from the USA often leave larger tips like they do at home. I was in France last week. Ate in restaurants that were service complete. I saw Anericans leaving tips. Know the local customs befote you travel. In some places leaving money on the table is an insult.