When should we reserve alternate dining?

Dmgmd50

We would like to eat in Restaurant 2 and the other alternate dining options on the Quest. Is it best to pre-reserve before the cruise or should we wait until we board and see what the menues are that they are serving in the various venues. I thought I read that they change the menues making some nights more desirable to our tastes. Also when will I find out which evenings have the formal optional dress code? Those evenings, does the main dining room tend to have moe elaborate menues?

Restaurant 2 is the only venue that requires reservations. You can make your first reservation when you board - the folks at Seabourn Square will have the menus for all the nights so you can decide which suits you best.

Your pre-cruise documents will reflect how many formal-optional nights you will have and when you board, you'll be able to find out which night(s) so you can plan accordingly! I'd also ask which night is the Chef's Tasting dinner as you may (or may not) want to dine in the Restaurant that night!

One of the things I love about Seabourn which NO other luxury line offers at this point (with the exception of Sea Dream which has no alternative restaurants,) is not having to decide three months in advance where I will want to dine on any particular night. All other lines make you reserve on line far in advance unless you wish to risk not getting in or eating at some ungodly hour. This totally diminishes the luxury experience imo.

One of the things I love about Seabourn which NO other luxury line offers at this point (with the exception of Sea Dream which has no alternative restaurants,) is not having to decide three months in advance where I will want to dine on any particular night. All other lines make you reserve on line far in advance unless you wish to risk not getting in or eating at some ungodly hour. This totally diminishes the luxury experience imo.

Exactly right Henry,

Tonight we could have eaten anywhere on the Legend but after a long day in St Petersburg we have just had a lovely dinner in our suite,we did not decide until 19.45 where we wanted to dine but made the right decision after feeling a little tired.

I cannot place enough emphasis on the real luxury of making a decision about where you want to dine at the last minute.

Crystal eat your heart out!

wripro,

We cruise on Regent and Seabourn. What you stated is what we like. We can decide every day on where we want to eat that evening. Restaurant 2 is a little "out there" for us on most nights but always look at the menu in the morning. Regent always posts their menus on TV so you can choose. Although, the specialty restaurants on Regent can only be booked ahead of time for the first visit, you can often get other reservations onboard.

As Wripro and Mr L say, luxury cruising should be carefree.

The very idea of competing with others on a supposed luxury cruise ship for restaurant times/tables/venues in advance, or even worse competing with people whose cabins have butler "accessories" to game a system that I might not have knowledge of is a deal breaker. Who needs it?

No, Crystal and its Seabourn wannabe competitors can attract the uber-eager or gullible.

Good luck to them and theirs.

Happy sailing!

As I recall, the dining room does have a more elaborate menu on formal (optional) night, and I think on our cruise last November it did co-incide with the Chef's special menu night. But I think they were different nights our first 2 cruises. As everyone says, it's lovely not to have to make a decision until the last minute, with the exception of Restaurant 2.

Mr/Ms /Markham,

We have often had a butler on Regent, not on Seabourn as everyone has a butler, we have asked our butler to check on another reservation on the specialty restaurants on Regent and we just had to wait in line like everyone else. Fine with me.

As I recall, the dining room does have a more elaborate menu on formal (optional) night, and I think on our cruise last November it did co-incide with the Chef's special menu night. But I think they were different nights our first 2 cruises. As everyone says, it's lovely not to have to make a decision until the last minute, with the exception of Restaurant 2.

What usually is the chef's special menu like?

Slightly more elaborate than most evenings.

Menus are subjective as some you like and some you might not but there is always a classic fare choice available.

Then that would be a night I would not want to eat in an alternate venue. Thanks.

Patti22,

You had a butler on Regent by paying for a penthouse and still had to stand in line? Stand in line!

For me a call to Seabourn Square and a confirmed (no waiting about) reservation at R2 works. It's easy. That's what I like about Seabourn- the informality and simplicity of a classless system.

Happy sailing!

Patti22,

You had a butler on Regent by paying for a penthouse and still had to stand in line? Stand in line!

For me a call to Seabourn Square and a confirmed (no waiting about) reservation at R2 works. It's easy. That's what I like about Seabourn- the informality and simplicity of a classless system.

Happy sailing!

Yes,I agree Seabourn is the least hassle when dining on any line.

You can alter the feel and speed and change your dining options at a moments notice.

I cannot see why Crystal have you book a restaurant and a time months ahead of your being on the ship,what's that all about?

Oh, gosh, Markham. I guess I was not clear. On Regent, the specialty restaurants are kind of difficult to get a second reservation, no matter whether penthouse or not. On Seabourn, you are correct, Rest 2 is not difficult no matter where your suite it. We just are kind of picky eaters and their menu often does not appeal.

Yes, and as I usually find many of the offerings on the Chef's menu unappealing I will often order a dish from the classic menu to go with one or two courses from the Chef"s menu. But under no circumstances do I ever have all of those courses --- small or not it is just too much food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our 68-day cruise on the Sojourn, it was very easy to obtain a reservation in Restaurant 2 for most nights, and on many nights one could just walk in. The venue simply was not very popular. In fact, the wait staff urged us on several times to return since they were bored with the lack of customers. The only exceptions were the nights when the menu featured both steak and lobster, and when Restaurant 2 was closed for a private party. And I concur with the others that one of the big pluses of Seabourn is the ability to decide where to dine at the last minute. I often cannot make up my mind until I have had my evening cocktail!

With respect to Restaurant 2 -- I am a foodie and will eat almost anything so the menu will be fine with me. But my husband (former military) has a very limited palate -- he doesn't even eat chicken!

If we go to restaurant 2, can he get a simple pasta dish and salad while I enjoy the menu?