Things I learned on the Serenade

Folgy

1. You will find wonderful people that match your personality and interests.There are also some that should be directed to the Gang Plank with a stick of Dynomite in their bum.

2. Some parents need a severe kick in the Butt! the way they raise their kids and some need congratulations for having kids that make me wish I had some.

3. All meals are not created equal. Some are absolutely fantastic and some I would not send to a third world country.

4. Entertainment is very subjective. I try to pick the ones I think I might like. (it's hit and miss)

5. Even though I really like to dress up in my suits and TUX ...I just have no control over what others wear to dinner. I was in the monority on this cruise as baseball caps on backwards /ripped shorts /jeans/ were in abundance. The days of more relaxed attire is upon us. (oh ,well)

3. All meals are not created equal. Some are absolutely fantastic and some I would not send to a third world country.

Please tell me which night was the WORST in the dining room so I can book Chops.

From what I gathered, it sounded like Tuesday (Skagway?) was one of those "third world" nights?

Thanks ever so much, Bill

Please tell me which night was the WORST in the dining room so I can book Chops.

From what I gathered, it sounded like Tuesday (Skagway?) was one of those "third world" nights?

Thanks ever so much, Bill

Tuesday night is the worst. (Italian night)

On our recent Serenade cruise (last week), we ate in Chops twice and Portofino once. We had no serious complaints with the main dining room, but the alternative dining was SO much better, we probably would do it even more often next time.

Both rooms had two seatings that corresponded to the main dining seating: 6 PM and 8:30 PM. On all occasions that we were there, we were at the 8:30 seating, and the rooms were EMPTY, perhaps 1/3 full. This despite the fact that the ship was a sellout.

The $20 PP cover charge is well worth it IMHO, not only because the experience and the food is so much better but also because the extra cost is trivial compared to the overall cost of the cruise vacation.

There were 10 of us in our party, and we wondered why the turnout was so low. Our conclusion is that people feel that they are paying for the meal in the main dining room already, why pay twice? I suspect that these are the same people who wear Hawaiian shirts and/or sweatshirts to formal night, and we certainly saw a lot of that!

The $20 PP cover charge is well worth it IMHO, not only because the experience and the food is so much better but also because the extra cost is trivial compared to the overall cost of the cruise vacation.

There were 10 of us in our party, and we wondered why the turnout was so low. Our conclusion is that people feel that they are paying for the meal in the main dining room already, why pay twice? I suspect that these are the same people who wear Hawaiian shirts and/or sweatshirts to formal night, and we certainly saw a lot of that!

What does this has to do with what people are wearing for formal nights???

I´m one of those thinking that I already paid for the food on the ship and I´m totally fine with the dining romm food. So no need for me to pay extra. If you loke it and it´s worth to you that´s great. But why would you assume that I wear Hawaiian shirts and/or sweatshirts to formal night? I wouldn´t even wear this for casual night.

Hi Paulmj -- When did you make your reservations for Chops and/or Portofino? It's interesting that both places were not filled when you dined there, because I've read many posts that make it sound like it's difficult to get reservations. I think that I would want to see the main dining room menu before deciding to go elsewhere (assuming I could still get a reservation at one of the other spots). Thanks!

Laurie

On our recent Serenade cruise (last week), we ate in Chops twice and Portofino once. We had no serious complaints with the main dining room, but the alternative dining was SO much better, we probably would do it even more often next time.

Both rooms had two seatings that corresponded to the main dining seating: 6 PM and 8:30 PM. On all occasions that we were there, we were at the 8:30 seating, and the rooms were EMPTY, perhaps 1/3 full. This despite the fact that the ship was a sellout.

I agree with MadforCruising. My husband and I both enjoy dressing up for formal nights. He in a tuxedo and me in a fancy dress.

We also don't feel there is any correlation between one's attire and paying extra for the alternative restaurants. I think RCI should do a little more to enforce the dress code so dining in the main dining room is the experience it is supposed to be.

Laurie, I had no idea how difficult it would be to get in, so I made the reservations a few minutes after we got onboard in Vancouver, just after Noon. We made Chops for Tuesday and Portofino for Thursday. We didn't want to do either one for Friday because that is lobster night and also because of the Misty Fjords drive-by that we didn't want to miss.

On Thursday in Portofino (we felt Chops is marginally better by the way), we decided to do Chops one more time, on Saturday, the last night out. The 10 of us took a vote at the table and Chops was a unanimous winner over Portofino. The Portofino people made the Saturday Chops reservation for us. When we got there, the place had even fewer people than on Tuesday, perhaps because a lot of folks might have been packing.

karalun, re enforcing the dress code, I heartily agree but do you really expect any cruise line to do that? Bar the door, in other words?

They do nothing about drunk teenagers running unattended all over the ship, they do nothing about people "saving" ten chaises by the pool for half the day, they do nothing about people smoking where they shouldn't, all they do is put out notifications and/or signs that everyone ignores.

We've been taking cruises for 25 years, and early on, formal night meant formal night. I wore a tux and my wife wore a gown. Since then there has been a dumbing down of the cruise market, it's now for everyone, and everyone doesn't like to dress up as much as people used to do.

Have you gone to a wedding or a funeral lately?

In Las Vegas, you see people in the finest restaurants wearing shorts and tee shirts. People mixed together with others in suits and ties. Las Vegas has always been that way. Now every place is that way, except perhaps in NY City and in Europe.

People will say a cruise line is no good because they felt a bump in the night. Do you really think that a profit-driven commercial enterprise in a very competitive market is going to drive people away because they don't comply with the dress code?

It's not the cruise line that's at fault, it's the lack of class and discipline in a significant portion of their clientele.

Perhaps it's that way because there are a number of us who began cruising back in the 70's, bicker, and also those of us who did Transatlantic crossings back in the 50's. We remember what "cruising" was like back then, and have seen many changes over the years....some good, some not-so-good. When was your first cruise, bicker?

Age doesn't really excuse judgementalism and pretentiousness. "Class" includes graciousness and respect for the values of others.

My first cruise was a couple of years ago. I wasn't able to afford cruising before then.

If people make considered judgements that are not necessarily agreeable to you, this is not a sign of being pretentious. As far as someone being judgemental, what's wrong with that? Years ago, such a judgemental person was called discriminating, but now of course that adjective is P.I.C.

You talk about graciousness and respect. Do you think that people are being respectful to others when the daily schedule of events says "Formal attire recommended" and people show up at your table wearing a sport shirt?

I've come to believe over the years that when people do this sort of thing, especially while on a cruise ship, it has nothing to do with what kind of clothes they can afford. I suppose I can be kind and even say it may not have anything to do with a person's essential "class". Instead, I believe it is a statement being made, the ultimate sign of disrespect for others, essentially telling their tablemates who are dressed in formal clothes that they can go to hell and that they couldn't care less about what these people think.

How about wearing a baseball cap at the table throughout a formal dinner? Do you think this is OK, or that I am making it up, or that if one is "unpretentious" it should be simply overlooked?

Folgy....

I haven't been on the boards in awhile but always loved your "child bashing posts" and love the new term..."crumb crunchers" and "dribblers"...sounds better than my references...."basket rats" and "yard monkeys.

I was on Serenade for my big 50 last September...the second sailing from NY to Canada, compliments of my sister who took me for my big celebration. The ship was brand new...had that new car smell!! and we had a ball and met some wonderful people. Left the husbands home and even though we didn't have the best weather, we had a great time in our balcony cabin, despite the drizzle and fog. (Cabin 9078)

Serenade is by far my favorite ship..I sailed Radiance this past March and still liked Serenade better and like the Radiance class overall better than the "big girls"...we did Adventure of the Seas in '03 and I did Monarch and Majesty years before. Went on Song of America in '95 and am going on the newly redone Empress in November to the Caribbean (Owners Suite this time).

I know how you feel about your excitement with the ship...Serenade is wonderful and I think that celebrating a milestone birthday and being on a cruise is great....glad you had a great time....!!!!1

• 4 weeks later...

Archived