Getaway tips and advice

beachys

We are getting ready to leave in a few weeks for a cruise on the Getaway.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their favorite bar, favorite bar tenders or favorite servers?

Also your favorite place to hang out? Possibly to play a round or two of cards?

How are the specialty coffee drinks?

Any advice and tips are welcome!

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on their favorite bar, favorite bar tenders or favorite servers?

First and foremost - did you get the UBP? If so - you'll be set. Without it figure out a way to make it happen. Check out the Sugarcane Mojito Bar. At night hit O'Sheehan's - best chicken wings at sea. Specialty coffee - only the paid stuff at Cake boss café is what I seen. Enjoy your time.

Deck 8 is the place to be........

Sugarcane Bar was my favorite - the outside one on the waterfront. Followed by the Sunset Bar also on deck 8 where there are inside gathering places.

The Specialty Coffee drinks we had were super delicious!

Deck 17 has a sun deck where you can go hang out and is rarely crowded.

Take advantage of Flamingo Bar & Grill on Deck 16 before they convert it to a la carte Margaritaville. You can get breakfast and lunch there. A rarely crowded bar and lots of tables. Might be the perfect place to play cards.

Why the UBP? My liquor bill is rarely over $75. Why should I pay almost $100 in gratuities for something when I can pay a la carte and come out for much less?

Do you then. For the rest of us that do work on alcohol, the UBP is worth it.

Y

The atrium has tables and is nice for playing cards. I like grabbing a drink at any bar on 8 and take it to the Waterfront to sit and relax.

Why the UBP? My liquor bill is rarely over $75. Why should I pay almost $100 in gratuities for something when I can pay a la carte and come out for much less?

$75 - is that per day - or your entire trip? I'm not a drinker and was not going to get the UBP - glad I did. The first day I dropped $180 alone. My wife is less of a drinker than me - she hit $108 same day. I met several people that didn't get it on the cruise. They were not liking it by the 4th day - our group of 16 sure were glad we each had the package - craziest part no one got drunk, but we sure had a blast. Worth it - (something else you should know - when your on/leaving the port of Miami - the drink taxes are not included in the UBP - that you have to pay separate. I believe we paid under $15 in taxes. The ship has to be out a certain amount of miles - then you don't get hit with the taxes. Something to think about.

Definitely visit the mojito bar. Raspberry mojito is very popular and was my favorite. Also the dueling piano bar late at nights was an absolute blast. I highly recommend going to it especially if you have never been to one before. It is great and even better having the ubp. Another favorite of mine qas cagneys steakhouse. They also have on sea days only during lunch lobster rolls at ocean blue on the waterfront which were very good but did cost around 10 dollars. Shanghais is also very good but I suggest getting there right as they open as seating is very limited.

Have to agree about the mojito bar and mojitos- a definite do not miss!

Ocean Blue has a lunch window open on sea days. They have a terrific lobster roll and calamari. Totally worth the 10 bucks. I hope that you are sailing prior to the closing of Flamingo Grill. A not-crowded lunch venue ( and breakfast) with some great Cubanesque treats. I love the sandwich and the croquettes.

Our favorite entertainment on Getaway is Howl at the Moon. We closed the place each time there was a performance.

The library is not quite quiet, but a nice place to escape if need be. Very comfy chairs.

Have a great trip!

If you are the type who eats your dinners in the main dining rooms, may I suggest the Tropicana room. Here is a brief description from Cruise Critic's ship description:

...the Tropicana Room, has the same main dining menu, enhanced with the feel of a 1940s supper club -- and Norwegian nailed it. The Tropicana Room features floor-to ceiling windows and a central stage with a dance floor.

We found the food to be very good. Also, if you dine earlier (6-ish), you may just have a dance performance by the Burn the Floor dance troupe. We saw them twice in the dining room and they never failed to amaze us.

We had a waiter named Terrance Fernandez. He was from India. We were lucky enough to discover him on our first night and requested him throughout the remainder of the cruise. He was the best waiter we have encountered on any cruise line.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Sunset bar waterfront is smoking area and was quite crowded with smokers on our last voyage. Just an FYI

Mojito bar on the waterfront is a great place to hang.

Bummer! I didn't realize that. As an asthmatic I would not be able to sit in an area with smokers without an attack. Hopefully there will be times I can enjoy it also.

$75 - is that per day - or your entire trip? I'm not a drinker and was not going to get the UBP - glad I did. The first day I dropped $180 alone. My wife is less of a drinker than me - she hit $108 same day. I met several people that didn't get it on the cruise. They were not liking it by the 4th day - our group of 16 sure were glad we each had the package - craziest part no one got drunk, but we sure had a blast. Worth it - (something else you should know - when your on/leaving the port of Miami - the drink taxes are not included in the UBP - that you have to pay separate. I believe we paid under $15 in taxes. The ship has to be out a certain amount of miles - then you don't get hit with the taxes. Something to think about.

The whole week. My weekly total is always under the cost of gratuities on the UBP.

Edited by zqvol

The Waterfront is on both sides of the ship and smoking is only on one side. I would make reservations ahead for the shows if you like that sort of thing. We loved both Burn the Floor and Million Dollar Quartet!

And don't forget Taste or Savor (the 2 smaller MDRs) will be open for lunch on embarkation day. No need to fight the crowds in the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by helen haywood

The Sunset bar on the starboard side is smoking outside. Inside area was non-smoking. I loved that bar. I would go there to get a drink and then take it to the Waterfront area on the port side (non-smoking). So you can enjoy the drinks there without worrying about triggering your asthma. I really liked the drink call Grass Clippings. Yum.

Use your time while waiting to board making reservations for the comedy shows if you are wanting to go to them. Standby lines were very long and many people were turned away on our sailing.

Also, if there are things onboard you definitely want to do make sure you do them before the last sea day. On that day everything is packed and there are lots of lines. We never really had to wait in lines before that day.

Use your time while waiting to board making reservations for the comedy shows if you are wanting to go to them. Standby lines were very long and many people were turned away on our sailing.

Also, if there are things onboard you definitely want to do make sure you do them before the last sea day. On that day everything is packed and there are lots of lines. We never really had to wait in lines before that day.

Yes!

Download iConcierge before you leave home. You can use it to do what erocrobro suggests- make comedy reservations!

You might want to look at copies of the Dailies to see what time and date

different shows are.

Edited by Annmeat

My Favorite place was the "VIBE" beach club. Yes there is a extra cost and you need to board with the first groups to buy a pass. However if you are looking for a place with NO KIDS a Chair available EVERYTIME, a "Hot" hot tub, clean bathrooms and your own bar then this place is a Bargain. The DW and I loved and really made those sea days.

Smokin J

We had drink packages on two Celebrity sailings we did, but not on any other cruises. If it comes as a perk, fine, but I would not pay outright for it. The cost is sort of silly. I feel ambivalent about drink packages. I think we had more drinks than we would normally want, just because we could. I also left a lot of it behind unfinished. We also always get off the ship in port, so if the itinerary is reasonably port intensive, it doesn't really make sense. In the Caribbean, many tours include unlimited rum punch anyway.

We had drink packages on two Celebrity sailings we did, but not on any other cruises. If it comes as a perk, fine, but I would not pay outright for it. The cost is sort of silly. I feel ambivalent about drink packages. I think we had more drinks than we would normally want, just because we could. I also left a lot of it behind unfinished. We also always get off the ship in port, so if the itinerary is reasonably port intensive, it doesn't really make sense. In the Caribbean, many tours include unlimited rum punch anyway.

To each their own but IMO "rum punch" just doesn't cut it but if it floats YOUR boat, then go for it.

Definitely visit the mojito bar. Raspberry mojito is very popular and was my favorite. Also the dueling piano bar late at nights was an absolute blast. I highly recommend going to it especially if you have never been to one before. It is great and even better having the ubp. Another favorite of mine qas cagneys steakhouse. They also have on sea days only during lunch lobster rolls at ocean blue on the waterfront which were very good but did cost around 10 dollars. Shanghais is also very good but I suggest getting there right as they open as seating is very limited.

Lobster rolls sound great...do you know were they the cold type with mayo..or hot with butter? Thanks:):):)