Hotels in Anchorage?

vacationlover_mn

We are doing a NB cruise next year. We plan to take a tour from Seward to Anchorage upon disembarkation, and fly out the next day. We won't have a car. Is there a hotel in Anchorage that you'd recommend, that has a an airport shuttle, is "clean", and is within walking distance to restaurants?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We liked the downtown Marriott. It was easy walking distance to Glacier Brew House and Humpy's, and a couple of blocks to great coffee. You would need a taxi to the airport.

We haven't been there yet, but the Lakefront LOOKS amazing. VERY close to airport. We are staying there next month.

We stayed here after our cruise last June (2016), and we had requested a room with a view of the airport.

The hotel was very nice, and in addition to a view of the regular airport, we overlooked a lovely lake, and could watch some float planes come and go. We were almost tempted to try one for a short flight... :)

Also, the hotel has a huge lounge area, where waiting after checkout was extremely comfortable, until our (late) departure flight home.

Note: The shuttle for the airport left the hotel *early* while we were still standing there with our luggage, waiting for some help. It was very odd. No idea what happened with that, but management was extremely upset as well, and they arranged transportation for us.

The Lakefront is nice although not near many restaurant choices other than the hotel. They have a dandy deck to watch the float planes come and go on Lake Hood which is the world’s busiest seaplane base.

It’s also nice to walk around the lake which is about 3 miles. For birders, lately there have been a Red-throated Loon, Pacific Loons, Phalaropes and various ducks on the lake. Yesterday there were a couple dozen Bonaparte’s Gulls including chicks.

We just returned from a wonderful 2 weeks in Alaska! We stayed at the Marriott. Took a cab from the airport, then walked all over town. Very easy. We were on the 11th floor. Beautiful view!! You will have a fantastic time!

Has anybody stayed in Hyatt house? I think most of the hotels offer free shuttle to airport, but not many hotels mention transportation to/from train station. How does that work?

I was at the Anchorage train station 2 weeks ago. I saw plenty of taxis but did not see any hotel shuttles. I would recommend calling the hotel direct to see if they can accommodate you.

Has anybody stayed in Hyatt house? I think most of the hotels offer free shuttle to airport, but not many hotels mention transportation to/from train station. How does that work?

Just a funny note on this hotel.....look at the map on the website for the hotel. At first glance none of the street names seemed familiar and upon closer look, it appears they have put a map of Ankara Turkey in instead Anchorage, AK.

LOL! What an epic failure...

However, if you type in the address in google maps, it does show up pretty close to airport. I will give them a call to see if shuttle service is available between train station and airport.

Just a funny note on this hotel.....look at the map on the website for the hotel. At first glance none of the street names seemed familiar and upon closer look, it appears they have put a map of Ankara Turkey in instead Anchorage, AK.

What are pros and cons of Captain Cook? Princess booked us there. I added two more as we are arriving early to spend time with a friend. I don't think it would be worth switching, but I am flexable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I can't think of a con. It is a hotel with great service. It has a dark wood, nautical theme in the lobby so I guess if there is a con, some may say the lobby can be dark.

I found the room wonderful, the view amazing, service was top notch, location great. I liked the theme in the lobby. There are a lot of restaurants close by.

What are pros and cons of Captain Cook? Princess booked us there. I added two more as we are arriving early to spend time with a friend. I don't think it would be worth switching, but I am flexable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I was in Anchorage 2 weeks ago and spent my teens years there. Visited my parents who still live there. The Captain Cook is right downtown walking distance to great restaurants, has lovely views of the inlet, city and mountains. Do remember if you have an Inlet view the Sun will blast your hotel windows most of the day. My advice ask for a city/mountain view and have a cooler room and a wonderful view.

Desert & cocktails in the Crows Nest at the top of the Capt Cook are a treat (dinners are wonderful but will cost a mtg pmt). If you have dinner up there get reservations ahead of time, in fact dinner reservations anywhere downtown are recommended.

I don't think there is a down side to a tourist visiting Anchorage, the Capt Cook is in a great location. Best breakfast in the city is accross the street at the Snow City Cafe. Get there early as the lines can get long :)

I can't think of a con. It is a hotel with great service. It has a dark wood, nautical theme in the lobby so I guess if there is a con, some may say the lobby can be dark.

I found the room wonderful, the view amazing, service was top notch, location great. I liked the theme in the lobby. There are a lot of restaurants close by.

So glad to hear that. We are also coming in early and booked an extra night.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

So glad to hear that. We are also coming in early and booked an extra night.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

I don't think you will be disappointed. Hotels in Anchorage don't match up with hotels in let's say NYC but for Anchorage, it was a wonderful hotel. It is not a luxury hotel but I really liked it. I love nautical items so I loved the theme.

I was taking a cruise out of Seward but booked the hotel and RR by myself. The hotel staff told me if I put the cruise line luggage tags on my luggage, they would include it with those who booked with the cruise line. I dropped off my luggage in the morning with them and it was in my room on the ship next time I saw it. They didn't have to do that but they went the extra mile. Really nice people.

Ha I remember the Captain Cook Hotel being built. At the time the tallest and fanciest thing in Downtown Anchorage. I remember seeing the cranes lifting the pieces of the hotel together. The Original tower was modular and all the city came out to see the puzzle pieces being lifted into place. This would have been about 1970-71 I think. Boy we sure thought it was super fancy!

We stayed at Millinneum Alaska Hotel (used to be called Lakefront)on Spenard Road last year & it was very nice. Good restaurants & airport shuttle plus air conditioner in the room. It was hot so AC was great.