Canadian $ fares vs US $

david,Mississauga

The fares in Canadian $ have gone up considerably for next year. Cunard will quote me fares only in Canadian currency and will not display any fares for 2019 after early May.

It is normally difficult for me to compare US vs Can. fares, but thanks to the examples in the thread "Price Hikes" I have determined that the Canadian fares are 35% above the US fares. The Canadian $ has recovered somewhat lately. Banks are charging customers 25% for the US $. Canadians may wish to book in US $ to save, although who knows what the official exchange rate will be by time of final payment.

I've noticed Cunard is slow to react to the fluctuation in the US and CA. currency and this has worked in my favour three times. So it was bound to eventually work against us.

Im sure you can find a us travel agent who can nook for you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Canadian travel agents can quote and book in US $. I suppose anyone wanting to book without a travel agent could phone Cunard and book directly. It's just on-line that we in Canada automatically get Canadian rates.

Canadian travel agents can quote and book in US $. I suppose anyone wanting to book without a travel agent could phone Cunard and book directly. It's just on-line that we in Canada automatically get Canadian rates.

But will Cunard let you pay directly at the US$ price if you have a Canadian address and a Canadian credit card?

But will Cunard let you pay directly at the US$ price if you have a Canadian address and a Canadian credit card?

I don't know about the current policy, but they used to. They would not allow us to book in £, though. (P&O and Union-Castle had Can.$ rates but it was a lot cheaper to book in £ and they allowed it.)

I have never booked directly but always through my travel agents. At one time there were no Can. $ rates so we had to pay in US $. I forget the year, but there was one time we did so at a painful exchange rate of 40%.

It's nice to know there is the choice to book directly with Cunard in US$. I, too, would probably use my travel agent, I understand if you insist on paying an Ontario travel agent in US$ you will not be covered by the TICO travel protection measures. But the risk of Cunard or Carnival going bust would seem slight.

It's nice to know there is the choice to book directly with Cunard in US$. I, too, would probably use my travel agent, I understand if you insist on paying an Ontario travel agent in US$ you will not be covered by the TICO travel protection measures. But the risk of Cunard or Carnival going bust would seem slight.

I had a quick look at the TICO Website and couldn't find anything about the currency used in the booking. That is something I will look into with my TICO-registered agent if I do book in U.S. $., if Cunard allows that as in the past. But I would be surprised if bookings paid in foreign currency were not covered through TICO. Smaller cruise lines do not have Can. $ fares but only U.S. $. and P&O books in £.

There is also extra protection through the credit card issuer. Some friends were stranded in France when a small Canadian airline went bankrupt. They had booked direct so were not covered through TICO, but the bank who issued the credit card reimbursed them for the unused air ticket - but not their other expenses. As you say, Carnival/Cunard is not likely to go out of business.