QM2 Britannia Club Question

robbie_3

As it's my wife's 50th and we love sailing with Cunard, I just took the opportunity to swap cabins and pay extra for a QM2 Club Balcony A2 cabin for the November Caribbean on a saver fare. It works out an extra £100 a night over 26 night. I figured this was a good opportunity to get more of a feel for the grills experience and a guaranteed upgrade to a balcony with anytime dining.

The question I wanted to ask is what experience have people had with Club on QM2. We are very much looking forward to it.

The dining is the main advantage of Britannia Club over standard Britannia staterooms.

The staterooms are configured no differently. But there is a dedicated part of the restaurant specifically for Britannia Club. This is in the lower lever aft. You would have an assigned table for all three meals. Rather than show up at an appointed dinner time you can show up whenever the restaurant is open. If one is seated at a large table then table mates usually reach a consensus on what time to show up. The menu is the standard Britannia menu with some additional items. On formal nights flambe entrees and desserts - not offered in Britannia - are available.

Everyone has their own reasons for considering something "worth it". But Britannia Club tends to be very popular and when staterooms were added to deck 13 the balconies were all Britannia Club.

If you have not already received a stateroom assignment, I would recommend one of the new ones on Deck 13. I had one last October. At that time it still smelled new. The bathrooms are nicely decorated and the shower stall has a glass door instead of the usual shower curtain that most people dislike. I believe the bathrooms in most, if not all, other cabins did not get a makeover during the "remastering" last year. The balcony door slides as opposed to opening outwards as most do.

There are now two Britannia Club restaurants aft. They are identical as far as I could see. It is great having the same table and staff for all meals. It is appreciated even at breakfast when the staff remembered we like strong tea, not coffee, and they always brought my wife her preferred jam which is not normally on the table. The experience could be called "Grills light."

I would be taking the Club for our next two voyages if the fare was reasonable, as it was last year. But I won't pay the huge difference - more than double the fare for our semi-obstructed view room.

I have also just booked a Britannia Club for my wife's 50th. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Ours is not until 2019. Just hoping we are allocated a table for two. We are not ones for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have also just booked a Britannia Club for my wife's 50th. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Ours is not until 2019. Just hoping we are allocated a table for two. We are not ones for sharing.

We get tired in the evenings so request a table for 2 these days (although we had some of our best cruises on tables with others). We have a table for 2 request in our voyage personaliser, I know its no guarantee on our saver fare and booking order but our fingers are crossed as I'm told that there is a pretty good chance of getting one in Club these days.

Hattie, many thanks for that link.

My wife and I sailed in Britannia Club this past May on a TA for our 40th. Our experience was excellent and we are so glad we spent the extra money to upgrade to Club. Would certainly do so again, a no brainer. The anytime dining meant that we didn't have to be watching the clock during our afternoon/early evening activities. This really added to our sense of relaxation. Also found the staff in the Britannia restaurant to be more relaxed an engaging with the single seating environment. Besides the regular menu offering, which changes daily, there was an additional menu page of everyday offerings that were delicious. My favorite was the seared scallops which by mid week I began having as a supplement with my usual fish entree of the day. Club passengers also attend the Captain's reception with the Grills group. It is my understanding that the complimentary food and drink that was offered was a step up from the general reception. There were a number of additional minor perks that came with Club level that added to the experience.

Happy birthday to your wife and have a great trip.

Harold

We get tired in the evenings so request a table for 2 these days (although we had some of our best cruises on tables with others). We have a table for 2 request in our voyage personaliser, I know its no guarantee on our saver fare and booking order but our fingers are crossed as I'm told that there is a pretty good chance of getting one in Club these days.

Hattie, many thanks for that link.

It's funny but not being able to eat with just the people you are on holiday with is the one feature of cruising that we have always struggled with. I have this image in my head of booking a table at a land based restaurant and being fine with eating with total strangers at mile stone life events (which is often when people cruise). For us antisocial gits, Celebrity are really good with their open dining.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Blue Riband's summary is just about it. I can add a little. Most of the tables in Britannia Club are two's, so it that's what you want, you are in good shape. IMHO, the major attraction of the Club is the anytime dining, which works for us. Otherwise the menu is pretty much the same as Britannia. In the Club we met a number of nice folks who were sitting at tables close to us. Nice. But we did miss the grand scale of the open and huge dining room in the Britannia.

We have just returned from a trans atlantic crossing in Britannia Club. Most of the tables are for two but are less than a foot from the next table so you are not really on your own. Some of our fellow passengers thought that the waiters were a bit too attentive as you constantly get interrupted, but thay are very helpful. For example one night the menu had fillet steak or lobster tails nd when I asked for both there was no problem.

The new deck 13 cabins are very nice. We did get a bit of vibration from time to time but it may have been on the other decks as well. It didn't really bother me.