Stonehenge

mtfasls

I am sailing out of Southampton and have a car hired to pick us up at Heathrow. I wanted to stop at Stonehenge on the way to the hotel the day before our cruise. The car company has no problem with this, however, when I went to the website for Stonehenge they stated you must buy your tickets ahead of time and they are timed to the half hour. Has anyone else seen this? Since we are flying in from the US, I cannot guarantee what time we would be at Stonehenge. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Barb

Having been completely underwhelmed when I first went to Stonehenge (and in those days you could actually walk among the stones, I would be content with simply driving past. You get a really good view from the A303.

The visitors' centre can give you some explanations and theories, but you can also find this out for yourself.

I am sailing out of Southampton and have a car hired to pick us up at Heathrow. I wanted to stop at Stonehenge on the way to the hotel the day before our cruise. The car company has no problem with this, however, when I went to the website for Stonehenge they stated you must buy your tickets ahead of time and they are timed to the half hour. Has anyone else seen this? Since we are flying in from the US, I cannot guarantee what time we would be at Stonehenge. Does anyone have any ideas?

The good news is that you're not trying to see Stonehenge on embarkation day so that gives you a lot of wiggle room. For example, assume 2 1/2 or 3 hours in LHR. (I don't think this amount of time is really representative, but you're trying to make sure you don't miss your time slot so more is better.) Add the drive time between LHR and Stonehenge -- you car company can provide this. Finally, add 30 minutes or more for added reassurance.

Frankly, the biggest potential for delay will be in the US, either a connection that doesn't work smoothly or a delay in take-off for your trans-Atlantic flight. Foul ups in my travel arrangements have tended to be the result of US weather or mechanical difficulties. (We were once boarding during such a heavy rain storm that water leaked under the canopy and soaked the sensor for the emergency life boats. The wet sensor did exactly what it was supposed to do in an emergency water landing. The life boat ejected from its storage compartment on the side of the plane and spewed toxic dye all over the jet way. Four hours later...)

Perhaps identify a place to visit between LHR and Stonehenge that you can delete if you can't fit that stop in prior to the time of your Stonehenge tickets. I'm sure there's a charming inn or pub en route where you can pass some time if necessary.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

To answer the original questions...

The drive from LHR to Stonehenge is about 1hr20.

It takes about an hour from touching down to clearing customs.

You can do your own maths from there.

However, flights inbound from the USA can easily be 30 minutes late (mostly thet are +/- 15 minutes though). USA flights arrive during the morning rush hour and there are absolutely no guarantees on that stretch of the M25, and not really any magic shortcuts.

A ticket time of 3.5 hours after arrival would not be unreasonable, but if you get there without delays, there wouldn't really be anything to do as you wait for your ticket time.

If your flight arrives later in the window, eg around 10am, you would probably be safe to book a ticket 2h30 after arrival, depending on your attitude to risk.

If you like your stone circles and neolithic buildings and want to avoid the crowds and costs of Stonehenge, head over to Avebury (not too far from Stonehenge). Unlike Stonehenge it has a henge. The stones may not arguably be as impressive as Stonehenge, but there are more of them and you can walk around them.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/

Also in the very near vicinity to Avebury is Silbury Hill. Something the locals put up around the times the Egyptians were pyramid building. They still don't know what it's for. You can't go up it, but it's worth a nose when in the area.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/silbury-hill/

Also within spitting distance is West Kennet Longbarrow. Neolithic chambered tombs built in around 3650 BC. Park on the main road lay-by and take a stroll up the hill and enter the tombs. You also get a magnificent view of the countryside.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/west-kennet-long-barrow/

You pay to park at Avebury. There's no entrace fee to walk around the stones but if you wish to go to the museum or manor house there is a charge.

If you still wish to view Stonehenge, as has been mentioned you can still swing by and see them from the A303 which passes by them.

Unfortunately this new timed-ticket set up creates a problem for folk like yourselves.

Your aircraft is as likely to arrive early as it is to arrive late, & formalities between aircraft & arrivals hall are extremely variable.

Tour buses & the Stonehenge ho-ho sell to their passengers (at face value) tickets which will get them in when they arrive, regardless of schedules. But that's no use to you. Or indeed to others who can't be sure to arrive at the appointed hour.

Stonehenge is a little off the direct route, so you'd be wasting money if you simply arrived ticketless & weren't admitted straight away. But I guess you could chance it, and if unsuccessful be content to see it from the main road & visit Salisbury Cathedral instead - it's on the route between Stonehenge & Southampton, so wouldn't affect your transfer time or distance.

Avebury Ring, West Kennett barrow, Silbury Hill etc would add about 20 miles to your journey.

There is one other thing you could do.

E-mail Stonehenge, explain your difficulty, suggest that there must be many others in the same situation & ask how they handle such circumstances.

As I mentioned, timed tickets are new, along with revised traffic arrangements which have also been very badly thought through, and transfer requirements between the new visitor centre & the stones which were grossly under-estimated at the outset.

They need to be made aware that their new arrangements must be more visitor-friendly. :(

Me? I'd sack the whole incompetent lot of them :mad:

JB :)

We have recently done a day trip to Salisbury and Stonehenge from Southampton via train and Ho-Ho bus.

The Ho-Ho bus works well as entry price to Stonehenge is included. The lines for tickets were long and we merely had to by-pass the lines and get on the little transfer "trams" out to the circle. We also enjoyed the visitor centre.

The Ho-Ho bus requires cash unless prepaid on-line -- I also think they have a ticket center in Salisbury. It was helpful to be dropped off in the town centre to see the cathedral and Magna Carta. I was quite astounded that there is a booth at the entrance to the cathedral giving the impression that entrance payment is required --it is their way of getting donations for upkeep and improvements. As it is a church, and open to all, we walked on by and then spent more after our visit in the cathedral store.

We have recently done a day trip to Salisbury and Stonehenge from Southampton via train and Ho-Ho bus.

The Ho-Ho bus works well as entry price to Stonehenge is included. The lines for tickets were long and we merely had to by-pass the lines and get on the little transfer "trams" out to the circle. We also enjoyed the visitor centre.

The Ho-Ho bus requires cash unless prepaid on-line -- I also think they have a ticket center in Salisbury. It was helpful to be dropped off in the town centre to see the cathedral and Magna Carta. I was quite astounded that there is a booth at the entrance to the cathedral giving the impression that entrance payment is required --it is their way of getting donations for upkeep and improvements. As it is a church, and open to all, we walked on by and then spent more after our visit in the cathedral store.

Churches in the UK do not get any government funding. Most of their income comes from their own congregation. A cathedral has a relatively small congregation considering its upkeep, so they ask for donations from tourists. It's not a case of just opening doors.

Don't be stingy - you can afford a fiver, surely?

Churches in the UK do not get any government funding. Most of their income comes from their own congregation. A cathedral has a relatively small congregation considering its upkeep, so they ask for donations from tourists. It's not a case of just opening doors.

it is not a matter of affording a "fiver." Personally we have seen more than enough churches and would NEVER pay to see another.

I guess these charges are a sign of the times.

it is not a matter of affording a "fiver." Personally we have seen more than enough churches and would NEVER pay to see another.

I guess these charges are a sign of the times.

No, churches have always needed money for their buildings and ministries.

I grew up in the UK and am a lifelong Anglican who lives in the US. I am well aware of the needs of funds for church buildings and where they come from. However -- churches are places of worship as was evident in Salisbury when a curate entered the pulpit at 2 pm and asked for anyone who wished to join in prayers for those who had died in WW1 being remembered that day . We stopped walking down the aisle and participated as did most others. We concluded with the Lord's Prayer.

Our main reason for visiting Salisbury was to see Magna Carta that is in the Chapter House. If I had been asked to donate to see that, walk around the cloisters, or contribute to conservation etc, I would happily have done so. We always donate when visiting a church --usually in the form of a purchase or a cash donation. I certainly provided lots more than a fiver's worth of profit in the gift shop! My objection was the placing of a large "donation" booth, with cash registers etc, that covered the double doors to the chancel entrance. We stepped around it…..

• 4 weeks later...

We had exactly this problem and got around it by joining English Heritage and then you can book multiple entry times on the one day for no extra charge. Just use the time that turns out to be closest to when you arrive. No grief at the ticket booth on arrival. Agree though that organisation at the site could be a whole lot better!

In Winchester where there is an admission charge of £7 50 per adult to the cathedral. I quote from their website :

Visitor admission prices : When you buy an entry ticket, you’re eligible for a free guided tour of the Cathedral, Treasury and crypt. Your visit also helps to support the work of the Dean and Chapter. The Cathedral receives no funding from State or Church so we are reliant on the contribution made by our congregation, community and visitors.

Pay today and visit as often as you like for 12 months.

Adult – £7.50

Concession – £5.50

Student – £4.00

Children under 16 (with family) – Free

Hudson’s Heritage Explorer Pass – Free

Tower tour – £6.00

Audio tour – £3.00

My feeling is that people should be prepared to make donations to such places, but a fixed charge as high as this is very off putting. I have watched so many people turn away. IMHO asking for a very reasonable voluntary contribution of maybe £2 per person would result in people willingly putting in that amount and maybe more. I watched that happen in Madrid!

Edited by Scriv

The collection point at Salisbury is pretty intrusive but then the they need to raise £12,000 ($2,000) a day just to keep it going. As said above, it all comes from the pockets of the local population and the many welcome visitors.

The guided tour, carried out by knowledgeable volunteers, who do it for the love of God and of the building, is first class.

I hesitate to be too critical, but anyone who can pay $thousands for a cruise, can surely afford a donation.

Edited by Bob++

Most, if not all, cathedrals and churches do not charge people who are entering them in order to attend a service. If you want to go inside to admire the architecture etc, rather to use it as a place of worship, I really don't see why you shouldn't be required to pay.

• 1 month later...

I've arrived at Stonehenge outside of my allotted time on a few occasions now, and not yet had a problem getting in.

If you have a look at the website the day before, or whenever you can access it, you can get an idea from their booking calendar how busy it's going to be (ie if all the time slots are sold out or just have 1 or 2 spaces available) vs 'available'. If most slots are 'available' you shouldn't have a problem turning up early or late for your slot.

At least with Salisbury Cathedral it IS 'suggested donation' and if you want to enter for free, all you need to do is walk past the booth. Or you can pay £1. £6.95. Or £20. It's really up to you, so I don't see the problem. Winchester DOES have an admission charge - If you go a lot, one ticket will do for the rest of the year so works out to be good value. Not so great if you're there for one time only. But the cathedral is fantastic, and there's a lot to see. Better value than Stonehenge, I'd say.

Edited by HawaiiUK
Over-use of the word 'great'.

• 3 weeks later...
Salisbury cathedral does not charge. There are 'advisory donations', that's all. It's a fantastic building to visit. I have worked in the cathedral close for around ten years- if you want any more info let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are most correct, Salisbury Cathedral is fantastic. A truly gorgeous and spiritual place.