Panama Canal balcony question.

morry2121

My wife had a balcony on Celebrity Century through the canal and my wife was really glad we booked it. It was mid ship and I think deck 9 or 10.

It was extremely humid and hot the day we went through so having the balcony allowed some chance to cool off periodically. I spent most of the day on the upper pool deck looking at the passage but it was hot. (I am not complaining I did like the heat). The view from the balcony was good. Remember it takes most of the day to go through the canal and locks so you do have time to go between your cabin and the upper decks to see the view from different areas of the ship.

The balcony was worth it.

No, you would not miss anything. The only thing with any balcony is that you would see only your side of the ship. Depending on what ship you will be sailing, sometimes the Captain will open the crew area deck all the way forward on Deck 4 for the Crossing. The last time I did the Crossing, they had the big screen in the lobby pulled down and were showing the bow web cam pictures in real time. I have done this cruise twice, bit in an inside cabin and DID NOT miss a thing.

Remember, with a front or aft suite, you can not see the side of the ship, unless you are in a corner.

Balcony is fine.

In fact you can see everything that both sides balconies see from aft balconies just not at the same time.

Every NCL ship has non suite aft regular balcony cabins and some mini suites as well

Edited by time2cruise1

I just did a search and everyone talks about getting a forward or aft room which of course are suites. What are the views like from a regular side balcony or mini-suite? Would we be missing out totally?

If you are like most of the guests, the day in the canal, you will be out and all over the ship, looking at everything from the many different views and decks. As to how much you can see from a balcony room, it will depend on which of the two sets of locks the ship is assigned. You won't know that until ready to enter the locks. The Panama Canal is a series of locks at both the Atlantic and Pacific side. Those locks raise you up to and then lower you down from the big lake that makes up most of the "Canal". On the western side of the lake is also an additional stretch that is actually a canal, the famous Culebra Cut. You travel through that for the approximate 8 miles of its length also. A full transit enters the first locks very early in the morning and you do not exit the last locks until almost dark that evening. It is an all day event. Plenty of time to see it all.

If you stay on your balcony for the entire transit, yes...no matter WHERE your cabin is, you will miss about 3/4's of the sights! You HAVE to roam about the ship..different deck levels, all sides of the ship....

Do NOT sit on your balcony for the entire thing!!!!

Thanks everyone for the great information and suggestions. Please post if there is anything else I should know before I book.

For the PC to have ever been built is an accomplishment beyond comprehensions. To fully understand what you will be seeing, do read The Path Between the Seas. It is a long book and very detailed, covering the PC from the first French considerations and near bankruptcy in attempting, until the completion by the US in 1914. However, the book is super well written, and although lengthy, it reads well..and quickly for its size. We've been through the PC twice and I just finished the book for the second time.

I don't want to ruin you anticipation of seeing the canal. However, if interested, I do have waaay too many pics at the following. They begin early morning just entering the canal from the Atlantic side and continue until exiting into the Pacific late that afternoon. This was on the Pearl. Needless to say, I'm definitely a PC fan!

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Panama%20Canal/DSCN8966.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Edited by roger001