Seabourn crew listing?

MARIANH

During each cruise, Seabourn publishes and distributes a simple listing of guests on board. At the front of the guest list is a table with the names of Senior Officers.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in knowing the names, positions and nationality of some or all of the rest of the crew. I certainly would welcome an "aide memoire" on board to help with filling out the Comments Form. Also it would be nice momento to reflect on when I got home and maybe take on future cruises.

Of course some cruisers with good memories will be able to recall names of staff they meet. But there are also many unsung heroes that are not often in the spotlight. And some of our memories are a bit challenged at times!

Anyhow, perhaps for discussion here - would a listing of crew members be helpful? And if so should it be fully comprehensive or restricted to certain functions on the ship?

During each cruise, Seabourn publishes and distributes a simple listing of guests on board. At the front of the guest list is a table with the names of Senior Officers.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in knowing the names, positions and nationality of some or all of the rest of the crew. I certainly would welcome an "aide memoire" on board to help with filling out the Comments Form. Also it would be nice momento to reflect on when I got home and maybe take on future cruises.

Of course some cruisers with good memories will be able to recall names of staff they meet. But there are also many unsung heroes that are not often in the spotlight. And some of our memories are a bit challenged at times!

Anyhow, perhaps for discussion here - would a listing of crew members be helpful? And if so should it be fully comprehensive or restricted to certain functions on the ship?

There are so many un-sung heroes in any business ... the ones that really make it happen, but are never seen by the guests. The kitchen staff ... make the chefs look good. The laundry staff make the housekeepers look good ... the engine room staff make the captain look good ... A complete listing of the staff is gratuitous, in my opinion. The truth is that GREAT service is that which is given with no evidence that it has happened. This is a team effort, not just the face that you see placing the glass of wine or the porter that retrieves the LV steamer trunk after the valet has unpacked it for you. I know that tipping is not expected and when I asked who tips what, I got a "Give to the crew fund" response. I agree ... benefit the entire staff not just the ones that are pretty enough or have the gift of "Service" to put in front of the public. A listing of the officers and department heads is all that should be published, in my opinion. I do like the county of origin ... but that is getting into an HR issue ... at least in the US it would be an issue!

There are so many un-sung heroes in any business ... the ones that really make it happen, but are never seen by the guests. The kitchen staff ... make the chefs look good. The laundry staff make the housekeepers look good ... the engine room staff make the captain look good ... A complete listing of the staff is gratuitous, in my opinion. The truth is that GREAT service is that which is given with no evidence that it has happened. This is a team effort, not just the face that you see placing the glass of wine or the porter that retrieves the LV steamer trunk after the valet has unpacked it for you. I know that tipping is not expected and when I asked who tips what, I got a "Give to the crew fund" response. I agree ... benefit the entire staff not just the ones that are pretty enough or have the gift of "Service" to put in front of the public. A listing of the officers and department heads is all that should be published, in my opinion. I do like the county of origin ... but that is getting into an HR issue ... at least in the US it would be an issue!

Thankyou. You raise some interesting points. Particularly the last one that I certainly was not aware of. I am surprised that in the US it is not possible to refer to someones country of origin ( perhaps with their permission) without impinging on their "human rights". Perhaps being a Brit and therefore unfamiliar with your legislation, their is something I am missing.

On each sailing I list Crew members in the Passenger Guest book. It's a quick reference for later ~~it's always fun to read "who was where, when ~"

When the Night Bell Captain brings my coffee at 7 am he also brings me the name or names of Crew having birthdays that day. I then send them a card or a small gift.

As to a Crew manifest being published, this won't happen ~best to simply make notes in your passenger list book.

Martita B.

One thing I always enjoy are the photos, names, and titles of the main officers that are shown on one of the TV channels. However, I do not remember seeing them on the Odyssey. I think it's more important for the larger ships, actually, since many of them are not as 'out and about'.

I agree, Martita, it's so easy to keep notes in the booklet or even a piece of paper in my Seabourn tote bag, which is usually with me. I often make notes about fellow cruisers, such as 'dinner with David E' or 'trivia'. I have even been known to swipe a dinner place card on occasion for further notations.

On each sailing I list Crew members in the Passenger Guest book. It's a quick reference for later ~~it's always fun to read "who was where, when ~"

When the Night Bell Captain brings my coffee at 7 am he also brings me the name or names of Crew having birthdays that day. I then send them a card or a small gift.

As to a Crew manifest being published, this won't happen ~best to simply make notes in your passenger list book.

Martita B.

Martita A. - Talk about thoughtful! You are SO nice!!!

Also in this country ... a business would not make a list of hourly staff available due to unionization issues. I have no idea if Seabourn is unionized, but it is a dirty word here ... and business does all it can to prevent it from creeping in. Needed at one time ... no longer.

As usual, Martha makes excellent points on all of this. And that is a very nice touch that Martha sends the crew celebrating brithdays a card. Being away from home and away from family and friends for many months is a challenge and even more so during holidays and other times such as birthdays so it's nice to receive birthday cards and or a small gift from guests as Martha does. Very nice and very thoughtful.

Keith

I don't think the Spirit televised the Senior officer's photos, names, etc. on the TV in Dec. or March ~ in fact, I missed it.

Making "margin notes" in my Guest books helps me to remember names and places ~~

This was funny ~~a couple of years ago the Captain ask me "where I had gotten my Guest List" ~~I answered "Captain the Pursers make up the list and it's delivered to our suites ~~" He ask me to get him a book ~he'd never had one! (of course, his guest book was his computer in the Bridge ~) Truth is always stranger than fiction ;)

Martita B

FWIW, just to be sure, cruisers can opt out of being listed in the passenger manifest that is distributed. There is a form to be completed, or if left unreturned, one is automatically included. Name, hometown, and state/country are listed. Perhaps not everyone realizes that; some might prefer to cruise 'under the radar.'

I always take lots of birthday cards ~and 'light up" Happy Birthday cake pins for the Crew. Although all Crew members celebrate their birthdays aboard with their fellow members, it means so much to them when a Guest remembers their special day.

It's such a 'lit thing for we passengers ~

The purser's will also provide birthday information for the day.

MB

I always take lots of birthday cards ~and 'light up" Happy Birthday cake pins for the Crew. Although all Crew members celebrate their birthdays aboard with their fellow members, it means so much to them when a Guest remembers their special day.

MB

I will assume that only the month and the day of one's birthday are given? ;)

I see that the relationship is much closer on these little ships ... vs. the monoliths that traverse the oceans!

MB

I think all of this is very nice, Martha.

I know it means a lot to the crew.

Keith

If the purpose of knowing the crew members' names is to acknowledge them in your comment cards a good solution has already been proposes. I simply carry a piece of paper in the little black suite key holder and whenever I find a crew member who deserves recognition I write the name down.

wripro

BINGO! I agree ~when a crew member goes the extra mile I also make note and when filling out the comment sheet I name that crew member. As the Hotel MG and the Captain read our comments these crew members are reconized ~I know of a few that have received promotions.:p

MB

wripro

BINGO! I agree ~when a crew member goes the extra mile I also make note and when filling out the comment sheet I name that crew member. As the Hotel MG and the Captain read our comments these crew members are reconized ~I know of a few that have received promotions.:p

MB

Same here. And they have been gracious enough to thank me , as they knew I had made very positive comments.

Perhaps this thread has come to a 'conclusion?

Perhaps yes or perhaps no. Further postings suggest no. However let's be democratic and let the "people" decide. It has been my observation that topics have a natural " half life" and I have not seen one go nuclear.

Naturally if you think it has reached an end point you may not wish to read any further contributions. Entirely understandable.

I still wish the crew name badges were BIGGER so I can read them without having to almost stand on top of them! I leave every cruise still not knowing the names of some of the people who have looked after us. I can ask one crew member what anothers name is, but then they answer in so many different accents, I am always worried I will have it wrong......:(

I still wish the crew name badges were BIGGER so I can read them without having to almost stand on top of them! I leave every cruise still not knowing the names of some of the people who have looked after us. I can ask one crew member what anothers name is, but then they answer in so many different accents, I am always worried I will have it wrong......:(

Now there is an eminently practical suggestion . Trust those antipodeans - it must be their Brtish heritage;)

And GrannyLorr, it was not me you spotted asleep in the lounge - honest.

Archived